Chipped Chrome
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Chipped Chrome in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So frustrated!!! I was washing my car Saturday morning and when it came time to wash the wheels.... a silver ...
    06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

Chipped Chrome

So frustrated!!!
    I was washing my car Saturday morning and when it came time to wash the wheels.... a silver dollar sized piece of chrome came off. These are OEM wheels that were chromed by the previous owner and imo looked pretty dang good.
    What to do now?

Option A. Get some plasti-dip and give the wheels a few coats then add the gloss clear (not a fan of the flat black look) If I decide I like it, the wheels will come off and get powder coated. The problem I have with this option is that imo, black wheels with all the chrome accents don't flow. If the wheels go black, so must the grill, fender vents ect.

Option B. Take the chipped wheel and have it chromed again or maybe even just buy a single wheel on ebay. Hoping that the other 3 won't follow suit.

What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    I like chrome myself.. If cash isn't tight why not order all new set of chrome rims? Or just order one. On another note just get one rim or all rims chromed again if they are real nice still.

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Chipped Chrome

u can have it rechromed pretty inexpensively.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Cheap chroming??? Where do you live?

I don't feel 150 is much for that, you can get all 4 done for 600 a few places around here and id assume even more places nationally.

I did a search in my area for chrome and powder coating... going to have to call around in order to get quotes. I agree, $150 isn't bad for chroming a wheel. Better than the $1,500-1,800 for another set of wheels... The bummer is, pulling the wheel off for the week or so needed to have it chromed again.
    To make matters worse, this happened a week after my boat engine let go at the river so most of my funny money is tied up in that project right now.

boats are money pits. lol.

----------

if nothing else you can go to gateway powder coating. they are in stl, but I know the owner. ill if he wont get ya decent decent on some chrome type powder coating.

"Bust out another thousand "you mean?

boomys10, I'm in SoCal so that's a little far for me. Thanks though. There are a few p.c. guys around here but not many chrome shops. CA has so many laws that I think most of them got pushed out. L.A. county is pretty much it as far as I know that still can operate.

Yeah, I know boats are just holes in the water to pour money into but they are worth it. I've grown up on boats and have countless memories from boating. Got the engine out last night and on the stand. Once I start tearing it down, I'll be able to figure out what it's going to cost me this time...

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

this will sound silly, but if it came off in one piece, cant you just superglue it back on--and wait to see if the other wheels are going to do tha same thing.If thye all are going to fail in short order id just buy a new set of OEMs when they start failing--the only one who will know its glued on is you if it cam off in one piece. I hada piece of paint come off the door jam om n my 65GTO--i could have spent 500 bucks redoing the door--or glued it back on--it looks fine still wins carshows, and i try and not look at it

LOL, never would have gone there... The chrome didn't come off in one piece though. I had to kind of fold the big piece in order to get it to stop pealing. Just gonna have to suck it up and get it fixed right.

On the plus side you will feel like that guy that everyone is looking at in the Walmart parking lot who is staring aimlessly into a pool of chrome till the old lady says get your Ass in gear we still got 2 more stops! (which all men know will in fact turn into 5 more stops with a "perfect" reason why stopping now is a must!)

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

then to me id buy an OEM wheel--- if you rechrome just one, when the others start failing too, they may be shade off if they are rechromed--just buy a new wheel and when the oters fail they will all match

tourched10- OEM never produced chrome V wheels. All chrome OEM V wheels have been chromed by outside vendors,(so I've read here in the forum) therefore re-chroming my current wheel will have the same end result as buying a "new set" of chrome V wheels for far less money. My wheels are GM wheels that have been chromed, not just "knock off's" so I think I'll be ok as long as I can find a good chrome shop.

rbsstsv- LOL!

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Yes this was the only time chrome rims came from the factory. Oh bob. http://www.carsimg.org/2006-cadillac...-bob-lutz.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.