low voltage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, low voltage in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Well on my way to Wisconsin Dells with the family the low voltage comes on. I look at the meter ...
    rbzstsv is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv

low voltage

Well on my way to Wisconsin Dells with the family the low voltage comes on. I look at the meter and it's 11.8. I slowly accelerated and while under load the voltage went slowly up to 13.5. But while not under load the voltage would slowly drop back down. I figured it was a bad battery. The battery hasn't been replaced in 3 years so I figured I'd buy one on the road and replace it if the car died. We made the 3 hour trip with two pit stops on the way ( car was off for 40 minutes during stops). This morning I went out and it's dead. So I put the other battery in. Car starts right up after install. I get out close hood, sit down again low voltage light comes on... 11.6. I figure take car for a drive maybe this new battery needs a charge. Car dies, no power. So tow truck arrives after a few taxi rides to auto part stores with no luck for battery. He puts his jump box on it and it says battery has 20 volts.. Car still won't start. His jump box says it has 14 volts and the battery still has 20 volts. Alternator? Bad battery? Maybe drawing voltage at short? Sorry for paragraph. Thanks for any insight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: low voltage

alternator good sir. if the battery is reading that high and the car dies WHEN driving, its not on the battery at that point, only the alternator. your the third one in 2weeks, I think im going to buy one just to be safe. lol

----------

218$ on rockauto for the acdelco oem one, autozone only has the duralast one (not rebuilt) for 153 around me. just a few ideas for ya buddy~

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Absolutely alternator.

Hard job on this car? I remember looking at it while doing jabsco pump and thinking how easy it looked to get out of there. IM just prolly gonna end up having dealership out here do it seeing how IM about 3 hours from home woo go me

according to a post put up not long ago, the dealer will run about 800 for alternator and install. id rather do it on the side of the road than pay that much for that job. just my opinion though. I have no idea how hard it is from expirence, but I would guess to hard, prolly just take the belt off the alternator, remove bolts from pump and move it. loosen bolts on alternator and drop outta bottom. opposite to replace. again, I have not done this myself so don't really know.

I wonder if that is KY included or if that's extra....

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

It's not that hard. Need to jack up the car and do if from underneath.

I had my alternator rebuilt for $60 so you might look into that. Even with the tow bill it might be cheaper to do it yourself at home.

Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate.

$460 for alternator and $660 for install/alternator from Don Larson gmc in Baraboo. What a joke. Just ordered online for $214.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by rbzstsv View Post
    Well on my way to Wisconsin Dells with the family the low voltage comes on. I look at the meter and it's 11.8. I slowly accelerated and while under load the voltage went slowly up to 13.5. But while not under load the voltage would slowly drop back down. I figured it was a bad battery. The battery hasn't been replaced in 3 years so I figured I'd buy one on the road and replace it if the car died. We made the 3 hour trip with two pit stops on the way ( car was off for 40 minutes during stops). This morning I went out and it's dead. So I put the other battery in. Car starts right up after install. I get out close hood, sit down again low voltage light comes on... 11.6. I figure take car for a drive maybe this new battery needs a charge. Car dies, no power. So tow truck arrives after a few taxi rides to auto part stores with no luck for battery. He puts his jump box on it and it says battery has 20 volts.. Car still won't start. His jump box says it has 14 volts and the battery still has 20 volts. Alternator? Bad battery? Maybe drawing voltage at short? Sorry for paragraph. Thanks for any insight.
    Hello rbzstsv,

I apologize for the vehicle trouble you are experiencing. I see you have been offered advice from the community and have located an alternator part online which you ordered. Let us know how everything goes. We are able to be contacted via private message and can further discuss any concern or questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

$275 installed with diagnostic check. Not bad. Great customer service at Don Larson in Baraboo WI. I dealt with Kevin-Service Manager.

they went from charging you 660 to 275? damn.

Got alternator for $214. Instead of 460$ from them

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by rbzstsv View Post
    $275 installed with diagnostic check. Not bad. Great customer service at Don Larson in Baraboo WI. I dealt with Kevin-Service Manager.
    Hi rbzstsv,

I am glad the parts were installed in your vehicle and the issue was resolved. I am happy to hear the dealer had great customer service and were accommodating for your situation. Don't hesitate to contact us in the near future if you have any other concerns or questions.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

don't understand why the price is even 500 to begin with. Cadillac service, can you do anything about the way to steep prices dealers charge for our parts? they are losing a lot of business by trying to screw each person over honestly. I wont take my car to a dealer for anything, just doesn't make sense to.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.