Dipped Wheels and a Tired Dude
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Dipped Wheels and a Tired Dude in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hey guys and gals, I had the original wheels dipped yesterday as the previous owner's girlfriend gave the wheels some ...
    Nimoch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Dipped Wheels and a Tired Dude

Hey guys and gals,

I had the original wheels dipped yesterday as the previous owner's girlfriend gave the wheels some unsightly rash. They looked so great afterwards that I realized I needed to do a proper wax. I had taken the V to an "Old Fashioned Hand Wash" in April to do a wax, but I wasn't overly impressed with their results. I've never done a true detergent/clay bar/car soap/polish/wax/buff before, but finally decided to try an entire process of waxing using TurtleWax's Black Box the previous owner gave me. Thanks to this site and YouTube I was able to get a good idea how to do it. A friend gave me an orbital buffer 7 years ago and it had just been sitting in storage. I went to WalMart around 8:30pm to pick up a clay bar and started at 9:30pm.

While the buffer helped a LOT, I was extra slow and probably put too much wax on, which took a long time to get off in the last stage. I finished around 2:30am and saved the headlight restore for the next day. I used TurtleWax's Headlight Restorer Kit this morning and used the orbital buffer again to work in the compound. The passenger side light has faded from the inside, so I couldn't get to it.

Overall, for it being my first time to wax a car, it was nice to be out in the garage with just the car; no phones, no music, no kids/wife. Just the sound of the clay bar, buffer, and cloth towels working their magic on the car. I don't think it had been taken care of the way these cars should be, but now that I own it, I can learn from everyone here and do my best. Swirl marks are gone, the panels look like glass, and I even noticed a small dent that I didn't see before due to the condition of the wax/clearcoat. Due to the fact it took my noob ass six hours to knock this out, I hope I only have to do this twice a year.

I should have taken before pics of the wheel curb rash and swirls but you guys with black V's have seen them all too often before. I'm also interested in how to fix the crack on the lower lip of the front bumper.

STS-V Driver Side Wax and Tires 1.jpg Attack of the non iPhone-user thumb!

STS-V Driver Side Wax and Tires 6.jpg For the low price of the headlight restorer, my wife and I were pleased. We honestly thought it wouldn't work.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Dipped Wheels and a Tired Dude

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Looks great! I've done a version of that process before but I don't have the patience to do it twice a year.

Thanks Tim! BTW I still plan to get the CAI and tune. Took the cover off and washed off 7 years of grease etc.

kjburto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V
    Looks great plasti dip is amazing stuff I blacked out most my chrome and wheels as well and I love the look.

ForumRunner_20130629_182108.png

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Nice post. I was taking some pics of my coupe Deville a couple of weeks ago up in ny right after I washed it and it was the following week when I was back in nc when I was looking over them and noticed my thumb in about 80% of them. Also, a few months ago I washed, dried, clay bar, and waxed my v in my garage. I had my Bose portable speaker playing my iPod. Don't have one of those buffers so it was all elbow grease. Started after work on a Friday. About 7. Got done at around 2. So you didn't do too bad. I would say wax twice a year. Once in the fall to protect from salt and other bs in the winter and once in the spring to protect from the summer sun. I think one of those 2 times you should clay bar.

I like! Agreed; very impressed with the plastidip. Very sharp with the blacked out grills; I've seen some where they black out the wreath as well but I like yours with it undipped.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Nice post. I was taking some pics of my coupe Deville a couple of weeks ago up in ny right after I washed it and it was the following week when I was back in nc when I was looking over them and noticed my thumb in about 80% of them. Also, a few months ago I washed, dried, clay bar, and waxed my v in my garage. I had my Bose portable speaker playing my iPod. Don't have one of those buffers so it was all elbow grease. Started after work on a Friday. About 7. Got done at around 2. So you didn't do too bad. I would say wax twice a year. Once in the fall to protect from salt and other bs in the winter and once in the spring to protect from the summer sun. I think one of those 2 times you should clay bar.
    Tnanks Guy! I agree Guy; we don't have salt issues here in TX but we have at least 40 days a year of 50+ mph winds with plenty of dirt. Good ol' Dust Bowl.

Do you use the Quick Shine products after a wash every time? I think I'll clay bar once a year in May after it stops snowing.

kjburto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimoch View Post
    I like! Agreed; very impressed with the plastidip. Very sharp with the blacked out grills; I've seen some where they black out the wreath as well but I like yours with it undipped.

----------

Tnanks Guy! I agree Guy; we don't have salt issues here in TX but we have at least 40 days a year of 50+ mph winds with plenty of dirt. Good ol' Dust Bowl.

Do you use the Quick Shine products after a wash every time? I think I'll clay bar once a year in May after it stops snowing.
    Thats whats cool about plasti dip you can try whatever you want and just peel it off if you dont like it. I tried leaving the mesh just chrome and the boarder and wreath black it looked okay. It also protects the paint underneath from rocks and such.

I've actually never used that spray wax stuff ever. But not because I think it's bad or anything. Just never done it. By the way, the stock rims. Should they be waxed just like the paint is?

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

it looks great--- after ive done hat, Ive put on Liquid Glass to preserve the look---- someone on the forum had pointed it out---its easy to put on, and if you put on several coats, its looks fantastic and lasts a long time

I'm gonna get on that.

Liquid Glass you say? After the PlastiDip cures I'm gonna do the same. Thanks for the Pro Tip torched!

How about those stock rims? how should they be maintained? Treated as the paint on the car?

The guy who dipped my wheels said to let them cure for about a week before I apply a brush or high pressure water to 'em. He said that brake dust cleaner will not damage them either. He said he uses regular car wash soap and a cotton towel on his. He's had his done for half a year and they look just fine. Of course he may touch them up since he does it for a side job. A friend came over today and said "the pics don't do it justice - those rims are sick!" Here's hoping he and Torch are correct that they'll last. If they don't I can do touch ups if needed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.