Lowering Springs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Lowering Springs in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So I bought new 20" wheels and tires and now there is too much of a gap between the fender ...
    pwrsix is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Lowering Springs

So I bought new 20" wheels and tires and now there is too much of a gap between the fender and tire. I would like to lower the car between an 1"-1.5" I have been looking around for the lowering springs and nobody has them. Is there another way to lower the car? Can you cut the factory springs? Will lowering springs from a CTS-V work on our car? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TimmyC is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Re: Lowering Springs

Lowering springs are no longer available so cutting the stock ones is the only option. I would start out with a half coil on the front and go from there. You don't want to go too far obviously. Do the front first then match the back. You'll probably have to cut the spring a few times each. Use a cut off wheel, not a torch. The ride with get a little stiffer but it will do that with lowering springs too.

You also have to make a spacer for the rear shocks so they stay approximately the same length as stock. Otherwise they will auto-extend themselves as you drive and your car will look silly. Do a google search of this forum for some info about that.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Cts gen 2 springs have tested on an sts by a member and bolted right on. I would assume the v springs would work fine as well.

todrules is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You might be able to find the B&G 10.1.003 which was the part number, but D3 had the exclusive as I was informed, but a simple search shows them in stock a few places online, unknown if they are actually available. You would still need to fab up a spacer for the rear shocks. I was waiting and waiting for D3 to get them back in stock, they have been backordered for like a year, and I believe they have discontinued them now.

I did that exact search. I found the same links you did with the B&G springs "in stock". I even placed an order and payed with Paypal. A couple hours later I received an email saying "sorry, they are no longer available" and I got a refund. I called one of the other sites before I placed an order and found out the same thing. As a last resort, I contacted D3 too. I haven't heard back from them.

I would love to hear from someone who actually used CTS springs to lower their STS. Otherwise I guess I will have to start cutting.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrsix View Post
    I would love to hear from someone who actually used CTS springs to lower their STS. Otherwise I guess I will have to start cutting.
    The thread about his work is in the STS section.

Quote Originally Posted by professor_speed View Post
    Ok guys I have some updates and more info that may help those that want to lower there sts or sts-v. Again all my info is based off my own car so you experience may vary a bit.

Cts gen 2 springs will work and have been working well in my car there are four types of springs that I have info on

STS stock Front 364 lbs linear rear 388 linear (estimated based on 15 less stiff than STS-V)
    STS-V stock Front 428 lbs linear Rear 456lbs linear
    1. stock cts-v springs Front -0.650 rear +0.350 400lbs linear front and rear from what I can tell
    2. Eibach cts-v sedan springs Front -1.250 400-457lbs progressive rear -0.750 (or 1.375 one coil cut) 331-605lbs progressive
    3. Eibach cts-v coupe springs Front -1.875 400-457lbs progressive rear -1.375 (one rear coil cut) 331-605lbs progressive
    4. Eibach cts v6 springs Front -1.875 400-514lbs progressive rear -1.375 (one rear coil cut) 274-582lbs progressive (what I run)

Notes:
    -front bump stops must be cut!, If you don't expect a bounce squeaky ride.
    -Cut the bump stops at the first convolution.
    -I used anti seize in the bump stop between the foam and metal collar to prevent and squeaks. (I have no squeaks)
    -If you have air bags or MRC you must lengthen your ride height rods front and rear.
    -Currently I added 3/8 to the front and 5/8 to the rear.
    -If nothing is done to the rear the air bags will lift the car back to near stock
    -If nothing is done to the front it will throw a "service suspension" code, the front shocks freak out and groin then go in to limp mode (softest setting)
    -If you have Nivomat rear shocks You need to modify the mounting point of the shock an amount equal to the expected drop to keep them from pumping back up (I have no more info on how to cause I don't have those shocks sorry)

----------

2005 STS 20x10 front 255/35/20, 20x11 rear 285/30/20 +35 offset both Varrstoen es1 wheels

I'd buy your stock v springs if you go aftermarket.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    I'd buy your stock v springs if you go aftermarket.
    Still hunting for those I see. What does a new set run?

Like $400. Not horrible but not worth it for that. I don't want lower. Just stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post

The thread about his work is in the STS section.
    Thanks for digging that up.

hammerheadv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V

PWRSIX, what did you end up going with?

I haven't done anything yet but I'm leaning towards cutting the stock springs.

tah93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V Black Raven w/ Tango Red
    What would it take to get B&G / D3 to do a small run of springs?
    How many?
    How much?

I have been waiting for D3 to get more for almost a year now, so I would be in for a set.

If you have been waiting for a year, I would say they aren't going to make any more. I contacted them about the springs and they never even responded. This just backs up all of the horror stories I have read about D3 on this forum.

hammerheadv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V

I'm leaning towards the Gen 2 CTS-V springs, perhaps the Eibachs? The thought of having my stock springs laying around seems like a good idea.
    Fierofiend likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.