Optima Battery
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Optima Battery in Cadillac V-Series Forums; While I used to be an advocate for them. I have them all in 3 of my vehicles and never ...
    todrules is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Optima Battery

While I used to be an advocate for them. I have them all in 3 of my vehicles and never had an issue with one until now. I don't drive my V much, so it's usually sitting in the garage with an AGM charger hooked up as a maintainer. My less than one year old Optima will not put out more than 10.5 volts. Ok I figure it's under warranty, no big deal. The warranty is a joke. I call optima, run through their tech support, rescue the battery by paralleling it to a standard lead acid battery and whatnot. I charged it for a full day and still the same. They advise me to take it to where I bought it. I purchased it from Advance Auto Parts, I take it back, they test it on their quote "$4000.00" machine and it's the same. Now the fun part, I had to leave the battery with them for up to a week for them to attempt to recharge the battery or get a warranty authorization for replacement. Needless to say I had to leave the battery with them and left empty handed. They were out of loaner batteries. What a joke. I have other vehicles so in my case it's not a big deal. I mean come on the garbage Walmart batteries are no questions exchange.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Re: Optima Battery

Like you I used to swear by them, not anymore. I have one Optima left, a brand new one that came as a warranty swap and the only reason I still have one.

I had the same problem as you less than 8 months into a new Optima, Advance wouldn't change it out since their tester still showed it barely passing the load test immediately after they charged it up.

So I took it home, and let it sit for 4 months with no charger/maintainer on it (supposed to be good by itself on a shelf for a year). Finally took it back after it wouldn't accept a charge anymore and they exchanged it after some hassle since I ordered it on-line with a 20% off coupon. If it weren't for the exchange I wouldn't still have one.

My first two Optimas (made in the U.S.A) lasted 8+ years and were still going strong when I traded in the vehicle. Since moving production to Mexico I haven't had one last past the exchange warranty. I'm done with them, trying the Sears Diehard AGM battery now. Optima quality is also the reason I have 2 extra batteries sitting on the shelf in my garage. I've had to replace one on the fly on the roadside with AAA and had to replace the one I had sitting for 4 months so I could drive the Vette during the time while I waited for it to finish failing.

Optima also snuck another one past us. Red Tops sold now only have a 3 year exchange warranty, the 3 extra years of pro-rated coverage is gone. Seems they know their batteries are junk now. My exchange battery lost the 3 year pro-rated warranty. So the price went up and the quality and coverage went down.

The Sears Diehard AGM battery has quite a good warranty, 3 years replacement, 100 month pro-rated warranty and quite a bit cheaper than the Optima. The only downside is it is ever-so-slightly wider than the Optima group 78, about 1/4" (height seems to be the same) so it no longer fits in my Corvette that came with a group 75 battery stock.

I suppose the only bright side is, since I have the battery out I was able to replace the spark plugs, since I've had a set of NGK iridiums sitting on my work bench. It definitely helped having the battery out to get to the right side one closet to the firewall.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Quote Originally Posted by todrules View Post
    I mean come on the garbage Walmart batteries are no questions exchange.
    That is not the battery company policy. To do business with Wal-Mart part of the contract is that you agree to take anything back at anytime for any reason. Its the cost of doing business with Wal-Mart whether you are selling them products or making products for them.

I'm not really upset at the retailer, it's the manufacturer of the product. I used to work for Johnson Controls, so I'm well aware of their less than steller reputation for service.

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    That is not the battery company policy. To do business with Wal-Mart part of the contract is that you agree to take anything back at anytime for any reason. Its the cost of doing business with Wal-Mart whether you are selling them products or making products for them.
    This only helps protect consumers...Who are thankful for it and shop at Walmart again after an easy, no questions exchange/return.
    It's also the reason I just bought a battery at Walmart. It was $75 cheaper than the equivalent from Auto-zone and if something goes wrong I don't have to jump through hoops for a return...Or wait a week for the stupid battery to lose a little charge. If, as it seems, batteries are being produced at the lowest price possible and manufacturers are bailing on warranties, then you might as well just buy the cheapest one with the easiest return policy.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Don't get me wrong. I am not dogging Wal-Mart. My father was a pharmacist with them for nearly 30 years and is now retired from there.

The problem is the ones who abuse the warranty policy. We all have seen them.......lol

I once saw a woman return an electric blanket the was so worn it had fuzz balls all over it. I forget but it was like 3 or 4 years old and they still took it back......

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

I used Optimas till their quality went to hell.

Now I use Odyssey batteries.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.