Dreaded SERVICE CHARGE SYS in DIC - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Dreaded SERVICE CHARGE SYS in DIC in Cadillac V-Series Forums; output voltage should be at least low 14s--dont underdsatnd why its "climbing" its either over 14 or not--unless your battery ...
    torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

Re: Dreaded SERVICE CHARGE SYS in DIC

output voltage should be at least low 14s--dont underdsatnd why its "climbing" its either over 14 or not--unless your battery is low--the battery should be 12volts and its parallel to the alterntor which should be 14 and charging the battery as you drive--if the battery is lower than 12, it might be using up the alternator output and battery is in charge mode--let it sit in driveway for an hour or so running and see what happens--dont leave ac on--too much load still sounds like you may have a ground issue

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

These don't work like that. They vary voltage to keep the battery topped off. It's not always over 14v. Check it out when you drive yours next time.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    These don't work like that. They vary voltage to keep the battery topped off. It's not always over 14v. Check it out when you drive yours next time.
    My Escalade does the same thing. Supposedly it's to help increase fuel economy by varying the field on the alternator.

A few times the gauge has dropped below the 14v mark and I thought I had another problem with the alternator, found out it was normal though.

hammerheadv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V

Thanks everyone for the input and advice on this thread. Wake was right, the remanufactured alternator just did not cooperate with the car. I took it in on Friday, they replaced it with an AC Delco alternator and it's been running like a champ ever since. I thought I could cut some corners and get a remanufactured alternator and have a friend put it in for for half of what Cadillac would charge me... Well here's a list of my expenses. $125 from Cadillac to diagnose, $183 for Pep Boys alternator, $150 for friend to put it in, problem still existed so I bought a new battery $190, problem still existed so I took it back to Cadillac and had them install the AC Delco alternator $800. I can get the money back on the Pep Boys alternator, and perhaps the battery, but I wasted $125 having it diagnosed twice, and $150 for my friend to install it. Moral of the story, stick with the AC Delco alternator on these cars.

todrules is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I used to drive BMW's and I learned the hard way as well to stick to OEM parts. Long story short, check engine light, scanner says camshaft position sensor, replaced with a reputible aftermarket replacement, reset light, comes back on. Failed emission test due to check engine light, off to dealer, they replaced the Camshaft position sensor with a BMW one and that was the culprit. I am now a firm believer that anything electrical related, go with OEM. Nowadays unless it's brake pads, suspension, or exhaust I stick with OEM. Fortunately OEM parts can be found much more reasonably priced online. The only downtime is waiting for them.

Carlosg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STs v
    Its back up to 14.0 and my friend told me to buy a oem and glad I did it would sux to have to do iy again.

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadv View Post
    ... so I took it back to Cadillac and had them install the AC Delco alternator $800.
    Out of curiosity, how much was the alternator and how much was labor?

todrules is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'll bet it cost less than the BMW liquid cooled ones. I almost crapped my pants when I was quoted $630 for a reman from Napa.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

I think cadillac used to do liquid cooled alternators and then they stopped.

hammerheadv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V

It was 2 hours of labor, plus the $125 for diagnostic, and I believe the alternator was $390.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.