STS-V Tire Pressure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, STS-V Tire Pressure in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I have stock rims and i run about 35-37 psi on the tires. During a long run on the highway ...
    Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

STS-V Tire Pressure

I have stock rims and i run about 35-37 psi on the tires. During a long run on the highway the pressure reads 37. Cold it's 35. I use nitrogen. I have michelin pilot sport a/s tires. Tires are fine. Good grip, ride, noise level. They're all wearing on the edges which suggests I need to add more air. Is this normal? What are you guys with stock sizes running?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: STS-V Tire Pressure

I am running 28 hot rear and 32 hot front.

Any wear issues or to be determined?

todrules is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I run about 32 all around, although my right rear sensor is acting up after about 10 miles of driving. I replaced the left front a year ago, you'd think somebody would figure out how to build the sensors that last.

parkeraire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06' sts-v

Are you supposed to go with tire manufacturers recommended pressure or car manufacturer ?

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I run 30psi all the way around.

Fierofiend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

I think I may have the same tires, with the same problem. I was noticing wear on the outer edges of my tires and took it to get the alignment checked. The rear is spot on, they made no adjustments, those have always worn even. They said the front needed toe to be pulled in a few degrees, so they did that. I haven't driven it enough to know if it slowed/stopped the problem.

I run about about 35 all around. I did the same as you and ran the fronts up to 40 to see if it would help the wear, it made no change and they continued to wear the edges. It is NOT cupping/feathering, it is just inside/outside wear on both fronts, from what I can tell. Are your tires just wearing, or are they 'chunking' off? Is the wear smooth or feathered? Post a pic.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Any wear issues or to be determined?
    No weird wear. I got extra milage out of my first set of Hankooks. I just put Toyo Proxies 4 Plus on the back as my last pair of Hankooks wore out in a year. AZ heat eats tires!!

Will post pics thanks. And parkeraire, to answer your question I've never followed the mfr's recommendation on tire pressure. I've always adjusted to account for any uneven wear I'm experiencing; more air for wear on the outer edges, less air for wear in the middle. I've always been taught that the mfr recommends a certain tire pressure based on giving you a comfortable ride, so lower pressure than it should be. Also, I wold never exceed what the tire mfr has listed on their tire. But I imagine with the caddy being a performance vehicle, GM wouldn't have listed conservative tire pressures for comfort because they would be doing that at the expense of characteristics one desires out of a performance vehicle like stability, quicker turn in, control, etc. could be wrong though.

Crap just checked and on all 4 tires, especially the front two, I'm wearing more on the outsides. The edges are wearing more than the middle in general but the outsides are getting it worse. Seems to be wear, not chunking. I took pics. Ill post later when I'm at the computer. So alignment it is I guess. Any particular reason I should give my cadillac to cadillac as opposed to say Firestone service for this alignment?

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Crap just checked and on all 4 tires, especially the front two, I'm wearing more on the outsides. The edges are wearing more than the middle in general but the outsides are getting it worse. Seems to be wear, not chunking. I took pics. Ill post later when I'm at the computer. So alignment it is I guess. Any particular reason I should give my cadillac to cadillac as opposed to say Firestone service for this alignment?
    I had the tires you have. Ran pressures from 30-40psi. Couldn't stop or slow the shoulder wearing. Ended up replacing the tires at 18k and 22k miles (rears and fronts, respectively). Moved onto Conti DWS and got somewhere around 32k miles out of the rear tires and they wore 100% evenly. The fronts are still on the car and will probably go another 3k miles...which will be about 39k total.

Those Michelin's did give decent grip; but for the price they are I expect more than "decent grip" from the tire. Saving about $100 a tire I lost maybe 10% of maximum grip and gained better winter traction, longer life and I've been able to use all of the tread.

If you're from the South or West - the options for tires with equal grip are huge; ditch the Michelin's. If you're in the NE, NW, or Mid-West I'd go Conti DWS or Hankooks.

I'm in nc but will be back to living in ny in just under a year so the continentals will do. So grip isn't quite as good you say. This isn't a huge concern for me. They're all seasons after all. I'm not trying to shave tenths of seconds off my work commute. How about road noise? Better, worse or inconclusive? Also, you got 32 out of the continentals in the back, what did you replace them with and how do they compare? Thanks.

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V
    Replaced them with two more Continental DWS's. Haha. Road noise is probably similar, when new the Continental's are very quiet.. But I drive with music on 95% of the time and don't hear the tires at all. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm not taking corners at full speed on my way to work in traffic so why spend $300+ on a tire and not use it?

The longitudinal grip from the DWS's is great, it's the lateral grip that's down from the Michelin's. They also have DW's if you can forgo the all-season part. Those are a bit more grippy.

I'm a little concerned with having more longitudinal grip. I feel, and correct me if I'm wrong, that if my tires aren't as quick to lose traction when I accelerate, I will be more susceptible to wheel hop.

The side of the tire that is more worn is the outside portion. Those are both of the front tires. Same story in the back, couldn't get a clear picture.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.