STS-V or E55 AMG (Need Help!)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, STS-V or E55 AMG (Need Help!) in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hello all, My name is Chad and I’m currently deployed in Honduras for a year. I'm trying to figure out ...
    MPOfficer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

STS-V or E55 AMG (Need Help!)

Hello all,

My name is Chad and I’m currently deployed in Honduras for a year. I'm trying to figure out what is the best/most reliable/nicest/ smartest choice for a vehicle. I know both cars are not that practical in the first place, but I can’t just drive a normal car if you know what I mean. I currently have an EVO X and a Turbo LS powered Fox Body Mustang, so as you can tell I can’t drive something like a Toyota Camry. I plan on keeping both cars and just add to the fleet. I have a couple STS-Vs on my radar in my price range, but they have just under 80K on them. I'm on here to ask you the experts would this be a smart purchase? What are some problems I could run into with an STS-V? Is it better than an E55? I’m just trying to do as much research as I can before I get back home and buy something. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time. GO ARMY!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: STS-V or E55 AMG (Need Help!)

i prefer the caddy over the benz any day. benz has WAY to many stupid issues that shouldnt happen. they are just to over engineered in my opinion.

Nimoch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Well first of thank you for your service! I'll let the STS-V experts chime in on why they bought a Vee over an AMG, as most of us were in the same situation you are.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Unless the MB is under warranty, I would avoid it. Owning both an S65 AMG and my STS-V, I have had SIGNIFICANTLY fewer issues with my caddy then the MB. And here in the states, most of my issues with the caddy have been resolved in 24 to 48 hours, while the MB is often laid up for a week with any issue other than changing the oil (and even that was a miserable experience once). Being in Honduras, I have no idea what your service issues will be like, but getting parts from North America seems the easier route (Once took 7 Weeks to get a part from MB via France).
    Just my 2 cents.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobs-sts-v View Post
    Unless the MB is under warranty, I would avoid it. Owning both an S65 AMG and my STS-V, I have had SIGNIFICANTLY fewer issues with my caddy then the MB. And here in the states, most of my issues with the caddy have been resolved in 24 to 48 hours, while the MB is often laid up for a week with any issue other than changing the oil (and even that was a miserable experience once). Being in Honduras, I have no idea what your service issues will be like, but getting parts from North America seems the easier route (Once took 7 Weeks to get a part from MB via France).
    Just my 2 cents.
    Bob
    Bob,
    Thanks for that, it seems like the Caddy would be the smarter choice for me. I would be getting this car on basically a "dime" and would not be able to afford fixing crazy things that go wrong. I'm only in Honduras for a few more months and then back to the states. I would never bring a car like that down here haha. It would be stolen or I would be stabbed within an Hr.....or both

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I have had to Stsv a 06 and now a 08 and if it were not for the fact I can work on it my self and have to very close friends that are both ase gm master techs I would have a s65 amg. I had a 98 750il v12 BMW be fore the v and loved that car slow compared to the v but drove fast better. I was a very well bilt car but when it did need service it was not cheep. Witch is why I did not buy a MB amg but both my v had issues that would not be cheep if I had to take it to the dealer. And the BMW had well over 100k miles on it. My 06 v had 88k when I sold it for fear of some thing big going bad. And the 08 only had 10k when the cats went. And wheel bearings. The e55 can be made faster than the Stsv could even think of. I have seen more than one run low 10,s in the 1/4 that ctsv2 fast. So in my eyes it's a drawl get the one that moves you.

choigilligan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Don't get an E55 unless you have a warranty that will cover you, I was going to get one before I bought my V (those engines in the E55 are torque monsters), but a service advisor at the Mercedes dealership talked me out of it. We talked about common things that could go wrong and showed me some prices for parts and that was enough.

Psycho-albanian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS_V

V all the way its a rare car not too many people know about the sts-v I get alot of complements on my v. I wouldn't drive a benz or bmw if someone gave it to me for free cant stand german cars. I know the amg's m3/m5 would smoke my car but I like driving my car not having it in the shop every other month.

todrules is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I looked at many e55's and they are fast as hell, have bulletproof trannys, well pretty much, but everyone I looked at, they keyless go wouldn't work, they all needed rear shocks, and I found a few with oil leaks, apparently valve cover gaskets are common, not to mention 16 spark plugs, so tuneups are pricey. I had 3 E39 BMW's, 2 540i's and 1 M5 and I had pretty good luck with those, granted they were pretty easy to maintain myself, but without an extended warranty, those AMG's pushing 100,000 miles are a big gamble.

TimmyC is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

I have a friend with an E55 and I think the V looks better and is way cheaper to fix if anything goes wrong. Most of the problems people have are easy to fix too. The E55 has a bad trans controller that selects first gear after a wot run and then goes into limp mode just before shifting into that first gear at 100+. It did shift into first one time and chucked valvetrain parts and bent a couple valves. The motors and superchargers are better on the AMG but you definitely pay for it in repairs.

todrules is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    I have a friend with an E55 and I think the V looks better and is way cheaper to fix if anything goes wrong. Most of the problems people have are easy to fix too. The E55 has a bad trans controller that selects first gear after a wot run and then goes into limp mode just before shifting into that first gear at 100+. It did shift into first one time and chucked valvetrain parts and bent a couple valves. The motors and superchargers are better on the AMG but you definitely pay for it in repairs.
    That explains the one I test drove with the salesman, He told me step on it and it went into first and went into neutral at about 80mph and the light came on. The salesman was like I guess you don't want this one. LOL Other than that I drove at least 10 of them and not one had any shifting issues. My buddy had one and he traded it for an e63 and he absolutely hates the 7 speed auto in it. He misses the tranny from his e55.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

just to add a little more support for the V, today when I went to fill up, a group of guys who obviously work together pulled in the pumps next to and behind me. Both were driving MBs. All four guys got out to talk as they filled up, until the guys behind me noticed my license plate. Spent the next 10 minutes talking to them about my V. They couldn't believe it was 8 years old (almost). One guy knew a little about the V's but mostly the CTS. Great to still get the attention after all these years. Gave them a nice pop from the SC and a decent tire squeal as I left! Still love this car!
    Bob

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'll sell you my V when you get back to the states. Way less than 80k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBlood_STSV View Post
    I'll sell you my V when you get back to the states. Way less than 80k miles.
    I doubt it would be in my price range man...

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MPOfficer View Post
    I doubt it would be in my price range man...
    You're not going to enjoy your time with this car if you're constantly fretting over something going bad or needing replaced because you have limited funds. You're going to be buying a 7 year old performance car....give that some thought before rushing into an STS-V with 100k miles. It's pretty awesome but it's not worth going hungry over. An example of things I've had to buy:

Tires: plenty of talk about them on the forum - a decent set will cost $1000 minimum.
    Wheel Bearings: I've gone through three, all under warranty. Price to fix at the dealership: $714 each (the part itself is like $250 online if you're mechanically inclined)
    Brakes: They're actually Cheap! I think i did all four for like $400ish
    Headlight: $1300 installed. The absolute best price I saw on a sealed headlight was like $760 when i called RippyPantsDept
    Oil Change: $75 worth of oil from Walmart...because the damn thing takes 9.3 quarts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.