STS-V Engine.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, STS-V Engine. in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Does anyone think that the STS-V engine will fit into the CTS-V? Do you think that the Transmissions in both ...
    Pimp_Cadi04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

STS-V Engine.

Does anyone think that the STS-V engine will fit into the CTS-V? Do you think that the Transmissions in both cars can be changed into the other one like the CTS-V Tranny into the STS-V and the STS-V Tranny into the CTS-V? Not saying that the CTS-V needs a automatic tranny I just feel that if the STS-V is going to have all the power it needs to have a 6-Speed Manual tranny like the CTS-V or does the STS-V tranny have a manual mode.
    Pictures:
    CTS-V 5
    STS-V 8.jpg
    STS-V 7.jpg
    STS-V 6.jpg
    STS-V 5.jpg
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: STS-V Engine.

depends what you mean by "fit". They've put big V8's into the Ford Focus, but they changed everything else too. The northstar engine and tranny will definitely NOT "drop-in" to the CTS-V...and even if it did you'd have quite the retrofitting mess on your hands. It's one thing on a 68 camaro or a 57 belair.....

But.......why bother?

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I thought that the reason they never put the northstar in the CTS was because it would not fit (too wide). Maybe they adjusted something on the STS to make it fit. I know it is the same platform, but maybe some things are different.

I would rather have 400 horses naturally asperated.. ALA saab, GM does not have the best supercharger/turbo reputation regarding reliability (although the buick was a SWEET car and was reliable).

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Interesting, the rear yoke looks like the 6 speed yoke.. Its a middle trans between the 4L 60 and 4L80? Hope it doesent weight like a 4l80, that trans is a tank! Guess the number stands for speeds?

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Heck, at least the STS-V gets an interesting looking engine cover - not the large plastic plate look that our V's came with...

MEJIA is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvett
    I thought that the reason they never put the northstar in the CTS was because it would not fit (too wide). Maybe they adjusted something on the STS to make it fit. I know it is the same platform, but maybe some things are different.

I would rather have 400 horses naturally asperated.. ALA saab, GM does not have the best supercharger/turbo reputation regarding reliability (although the buick was a SWEET car and was reliable).

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com
    Indeed. I agree with you I also prefer naturally aspirated horsepower over forced induction. Once I posted in the Escalade forums if it would be easy to change the stock Vortec 6000 engine in the H2 for the Vortec 6000 H.O. of the Escalade. Everyone start asking why not supercharge the H2, it was inexpensive and easy compared to what I was thinking. But once again I prefer naturally aspirated engines and horsepower.

2dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DeVille

? it says the displacement is 4.4L as opposed to 4.6L...

Nocturn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The displacment is 4.4L....It was debored for stronger castings.

2dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturn
    The displacment is 4.4L....It was debored for stronger castings.
    Is this a recent move?

gordon87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I believe that the V-8 in the STS and the SRX is still 4.6. I believe that they reduced the size for the STS-V as part of the engineering for the supercharger.

slk230mb is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by 2dfx
    ? it says the displacement is 4.4L as opposed to 4.6L...
    Do a search in this forum, BBob went into a lot of detail regarding the engineering and building of the new 4.4L N* for the STS-V. I thought it was an interesting read.
    ~Steve

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

The normally aspirated Northstar engines will remain at 4.6 liters of displacement.

The supercharged engine is a 4.4 liter engine. The bore of the supercharged engine was reduced from 93 mm to 91 mm to provide more space between the cylinder bores for a more robust head gasket seal necessary with the increased cylinder pressures of the supercharged engine at 440 HP.

The supercharged Northstar engine uses a sand cast aluminum block as opposed to the diecast aluminum block on the NA engines. The sand cast block is also heat treated post casting to achieve better material properties to withstand the stress of 440 HP. The sand cast block for the SC engine also has provisions cast in for the piston oil squirters. It also incorporates a closed deck design as opposed to the open deck of the NA engines. The sand casting process also allows the windage holes in the main bulkheads to be cast in place and radiused for improved windage flow for more HP/less parasitic loss. The SC block utilizes special machining operations on the deck surface to provide the microseal characteristics necessary with the multilayer steel headgasket design used on the SC engine.

Otherwise, the blocks are very similar which is a testament to the strength of the diecast block used since 1993 model year. The lower end design of the Northstar engine (with the two piece crankcase which splits at the crank centerline) proved to be totally capable of handling the increased output of the supercharged engine. This correlates well with the robust performance of the Northstar lower end in the field as lower end problems are all but non-existant.

inglegw is offline Cadillac Owners Member

400+ hp sounds cool but does it also mean this engine will consume oil or even worse, consume oil worse than the other NS engines?

FYI - I just bought a certified 02 STS with 27k miles on her (black on charcoal beauty w/300hp) and now I'm sick because now I'm finding out its a very common (if not normal) problem for NS engines to consume oil. In fact, this one is consuming about a quart in <1500 miles and that's based on 2 months of ownership and 6k miles. Was utterly shocked to find this out by listening to the service dude and internet threads. I could tell this car was very well maintained and certified to boot. Guess I trusted the Caddy nameplate too much. Was my first one and now probably my last unless I learn something at this place about the NS engine that convinces me she's still real cool and the point is I really thought I was getting something special. Now, I feel totally decieved by the CADDY folks with regard to the NS engine oil consumption and I'm dumbfounded as to why this problem exist considering todays close tolerance machining/casting capability. I'm open to any inputs as to why this is so, and why Caddy doesn't just fix them and/or make the dealer tell you this information so you can at least be informed instead of shocked.

OH WELL LIVE AND LEARN AND KEEP OIL IN THE TRUNK.

P.S. I use to have to do this with my 63SS. Come to think of it I didn't think much of it at that either but at least I expected it.

P.S. Just venting because I've owned about 20 cars/trucks all amercian made and I can "honestly" say none of UM have used a whole quart of oil in between changes even when I had to go a 1000 or so over the 3k mile normal change.

Go CADDY Go :madtalkin

inglegw is offline Cadillac Owners Member

One more thing. I can't figure out how to post a new thread otherwise I would have posted the above there.

Just looking for some advise on this. Don't want a ovehaul job but that's what the service department is talking right now...

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Just an FYI Inglegw, I moved your post into the "Eldorado/Seville" section. Since you don't own a Cadillac STS - you own a Cadillac "Seville" STS. It's a totally different car...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.