STS-V Engine. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, STS-V Engine. in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by inglegw 400+ hp sounds cool but does it also mean this engine will consume oil or even ...
    alloyed2sea is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS

Red face Re: STS-V Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by inglegw
    400+ hp sounds cool but does it also mean this engine will consume oil or even worse, consume oil worse than the other NS engines?

FYI - I just bought a certified 02 STS with 27k miles on her (black on charcoal beauty w/300hp) and now I'm sick because now I'm finding out its a very common (if not normal) problem for NS engines to consume oil. In fact, this one is consuming about a quart in <1500 miles and that's based on 2 months of ownership and 6k miles. Was utterly shocked to find this out by listening to the service dude and internet threads. I could tell this car was very well maintained and certified to boot. Guess I trusted the Caddy nameplate too much. Was my first one and now probably my last unless I learn something at this place about the NS engine that convinces me she's still real cool and the point is I really thought I was getting something special. Now, I feel totally decieved by the CADDY folks with regard to the NS engine oil consumption and I'm dumbfounded as to why this problem exist considering todays close tolerance machining/casting capability. I'm open to any inputs as to why this is so, and why Caddy doesn't just fix them and/or make the dealer tell you this information so you can at least be informed instead of shocked.

OH WELL LIVE AND LEARN AND KEEP OIL IN THE TRUNK.

P.S. I use to have to do this with my 63SS. Come to think of it I didn't think much of it at that either but at least I expected it.

P.S. Just venting because I've owned about 20 cars/trucks all amercian made and I can "honestly" say none of UM have used a whole quart of oil in between changes even when I had to go a 1000 or so over the 3k mile normal change.

Go CADDY Go :madtalkin
    I feel for you.
    Especially since I know that the Northstar motor has another "open" secret - the top intake gasket "goes" - leaking oil onto the spark plugs, filling the wells, necessitating an expensive "repair" - usually around 50K miles.
    Not earth-shattering, but damned irksome.
    (Searching this website for: oil+leak+northstar I also found out that Northstar headgaskets regularly go as well - usual cost of repair? $3500)
    This info from a man who loves Cadillac and is seriously routing for GM to consolidate its divisions further and produce world-class vehicles in every market segment.
    Go GM go!

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: STS-V Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by alloyed2sea
    Especially since I know that the Northstar motor has another "open" secret - the top intake gasket "goes" - leaking oil onto the spark plugs, filling the wells, necessitating an expensive "repair" - usually around 50K miles.
    Not earth-shattering, but damned irksome.

I have no idea where you are getting this info from but it is completely baseless, wrong and not even technically possible....

The intake gasket on the engine has no connection whatsoever with the spark plug wells....where did this piece of misinformation come from...???

The cam cover seals the spark plug wells from oil in the upper part of the cylinder head. Each cam cover has 4 separate round o-ring style seals....one each for the 4 spark plug wells on each side that the cam cover encircles. If one of those o-rings leaks it can allow oil to seep into the spark plug well.

This is far far from a expensive repair, it does NOT happen frequently at ALL and if it does it is not a 50K miles issue. There are WAY too many people on this forum that have changed plugs on the engine at well over 100K with no reports of oil in the spark plug well for this to be an issue as you report. It just doesn't happen except in rare, isolated cases.

If it does happen it is a completely benign "failure"...more an observation than a problem. The oil in the head that the o-ring seals is not pressurized oil...just casual oil splashing around so very little oil will seep into the spark plug well. It will only seep in as deep as the well in the head is below the seal joint...not something that will fill up the well and run out and cause a leak to the ground.

If you did have this issue (and few few people do) it is an inexpensive fix to R&R the cam cover and replace the round 0-ring seal. Hardly an expensive or even irksome as it is something that really does not need to be "fixed" even if it happens as the oil in the spark plug well will cause no problems....

You need to look at the engine and understand the "information" you are publishing.

alloyed2sea is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS

Red face Re: STS-V Engine Redux

Quote Originally Posted by bbob
    I have no idea where you are getting this info from but it is completely baseless, wrong and not even technically possible....

The intake gasket on the engine has no connection whatsoever with the spark plug wells....where did this piece of misinformation come from...???

The cam cover seals the spark plug wells from oil in the upper part of the cylinder head. Each cam cover has 4 separate round o-ring style seals....one each for the 4 spark plug wells on each side that the cam cover encircles. If one of those o-rings leaks it can allow oil to seep into the spark plug well.

This is far far from a expensive repair, it does NOT happen frequently at ALL and if it does it is not a 50K miles issue. There are WAY too many people on this forum that have changed plugs on the engine at well over 100K with no reports of oil in the spark plug well for this to be an issue as you report. It just doesn't happen except in rare, isolated cases.

If it does happen it is a completely benign "failure"...more an observation than a problem. The oil in the head that the o-ring seals is not pressurized oil...just casual oil splashing around so very little oil will seep into the spark plug well. It will only seep in as deep as the well in the head is below the seal joint...not something that will fill up the well and run out and cause a leak to the ground.

If you did have this issue (and few few people do) it is an inexpensive fix to R&R the cam cover and replace the round 0-ring seal. Hardly an expensive or even irksome as it is something that really does not need to be "fixed" even if it happens as the oil in the spark plug well will cause no problems....

You need to look at the engine and understand the "information" you are publishing.
    Good point and thanx for writing in.
    That was "exactly" what I meant to say.
    My information was from a local mechanic who warned me about the sparkplug well/oil seepage problem in Northstars when I mentioned the fact that I wanted to buy an '98 STS. Now according to him, it is not all that rare or inexpensive.
    But, I'm thinking your insight/experience is probably more accurate.
    Can you tell us about the headgasket "problem" with Northstars? Another Cadillac Owners website/ internet "myth"?

RAD
    RAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS, 1993 STS, 2000 STS

So, you have a Northstar motor that consumes oil at ~I quart per 1500 miles…So What?? It’s a 4 cam, high revving world class high performance motor! It’s not uncommon at all for engines in this class to consume a little oil, especially one like this making well over 1hp per cubic inch. If you read the owners manual in some of the BMW ‘M’ series they will tell you to check the oil WITH EVREY TANK OF GAS!! No kidding.

Just think of it like a fresh drink every 1500 mils, and drive it like you stole it!

>FYI - I just bought a certified 02 STS with 27k miles on her (black on charcoal beauty w/300hp) and now I'm sick because now I'm finding out its a very common (if not normal) problem for NS engines to consume oil. In fact, this one is consuming about a quart in <1500 miles and that's based on 2 months of ownership and 6k miles. Was utterly shocked to find this out by listening to the service dude and internet threads. I could tell this car was very well maintained and certified to boot. Guess I trusted the Caddy nameplate too much. Was my first one and now probably my last unless I learn something at this place about the NS engine that convinces me she's still real cool and the point is I really thought I was getting something special. Now, I feel totally decieved by the CADDY folks with regard to the NS engine oil consumption and I'm dumbfounded as to why this problem exist considering todays close tolerance machining/casting capability. I'm open to any inputs as to why this is so, and why Caddy doesn't just fix them and/or make the dealer tell you this information so you can at least be informed instead of shocked. <

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by inglegw
    400+ hp sounds cool but does it also mean this engine will consume oil or even worse, consume oil worse than the other NS engines?

FYI - I just bought a certified 02 STS with 27k miles on her (black on charcoal beauty w/300hp) and now I'm sick because now I'm finding out its a very common (if not normal) problem for NS engines to consume oil. In fact, this one is consuming about a quart in <1500 miles and that's based on 2 months of ownership and 6k miles. Was utterly shocked to find this out by listening to the service dude and internet threads. I could tell this car was very well maintained and certified to boot. Guess I trusted the Caddy nameplate too much. Was my first one and now probably my last unless I learn something at this place about the NS engine that convinces me she's still real cool and the point is I really thought I was getting something special. Now, I feel totally decieved by the CADDY folks with regard to the NS engine oil consumption and I'm dumbfounded as to why this problem exist considering todays close tolerance machining/casting capability. I'm open to any inputs as to why this is so, and why Caddy doesn't just fix them and/or make the dealer tell you this information so you can at least be informed instead of shocked.

OH WELL LIVE AND LEARN AND KEEP OIL IN THE TRUNK.

P.S. I use to have to do this with my 63SS. Come to think of it I didn't think much of it at that either but at least I expected it.

P.S. Just venting because I've owned about 20 cars/trucks all amercian made and I can "honestly" say none of UM have used a whole quart of oil in between changes even when I had to go a 1000 or so over the 3k mile normal change.

Go CADDY Go :madtalkin

How many of those 20 cars made the specific power of the Northstar engine and would routinely shift at 6500 RPM..??? Get over the fact that modern engines tend to use a little more oil than some of the older, slower turning varieties. A little oil consumption is fine and not to be construed with a "bad" engine or anything faulty. All those valve guides and pistons have to be lubricated somehow at high speed....total loss lubrication is a fact of life for 32 valve guides and valvestems and top rings on high performance engines.

If you do a little research you will find a lot more about this on the forum...you will also find on other forums that Mercedes/Toyota/BMW?etc... ALL have owners manual notes about oil consumption and "allow" as much as 1 quart per thousand miles or more oil consumption on some engines. BMW goes so far on their "M" performance engines to recommend checking the oil level at every fillup because the oil consumption rate can be great enough to lower the sump in one tank full in stressful driving.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.