Subtle steering wheel shake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Subtle steering wheel shake in Cadillac V-Series Forums; What do you experts think about this? Wheel out of balance? Alignment problem? At around 65 mph, intermittently, my steering ...
    carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

Subtle steering wheel shake

What do you experts think about this? Wheel out of balance? Alignment problem?

At around 65 mph, intermittently, my steering wheel shakes back and forth just a little bit (probably not more than a quarter inch).

Most of the time it doesn't do it at all, but when it does it, it's quite noticeable. Then it will do it less and then won't be noticeable.

I thought maybe it was actually the road, but I don't think so. It's done it on different highways and not in the same spots.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Re: Subtle steering wheel shake

Tire/ wheel is just a little out of balance. My friends 300c was doing the same thing. He was able to just rotate the front to the back and fixed it but you can't do that. You can try moving the right to the left and left to the right. And see if it changed at all. Our go to a tire shop and get them to rebalance the front two wheels.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Find some one with a Hunter Road Force Balance machine and have them balance all your wheels/tires.

Thanks guys. I'll get that done.

So I had the wheels re-balanced and that didn't change anything, so I took it to the dealer and they believe that the front tires are feathering a little bit and that's causing it. Probably less than 2000 miles on the tires.

What do you guys think? I am being picky because it's pretty subtle, but it comes and goes and it just seems like it shouldn't do that. Nice and smooth otherwise. Maybe I should lighten up?

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

I have the same thing. I know the cts-v folks have to periodically remove their rims and clean the inside portion ( stuff you can't reach behind the rotors) I'm gonna do it one of these days. Maybe that'll do it. Seems a little far fetched. Are you perfectly balanced? Hmm..

Smokin80 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black Raven CTS V/Manual

You could have a slightly bent rim. I have this same issue. Balance is perfect. ....held something just off the rim on the balancer and spun it...about a 1/8 inch tweak on the inside of the right front. LIkely from a pot hole or something. I would check that out.

Yeah, that's a good thought about the bent rim. I had a Ford Taurus a long time ago that had that and it acted somewhat the same.

But I don't know how it would have gotten bent. For one thing I wasn't driving it much this past winter and I'm really careful to not hit curbs. I don't remember any big potholes.

But I will try to check that out.

----------

Allegedly the balance is good according to Discount and the dealer now. Let me know if you ever try cleaning the inside of your rims. Does seem unlikely though.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    I have the same thing. I know the cts-v folks have to periodically remove their rims and clean the inside portion ( stuff you can't reach behind the rotors) I'm gonna do it one of these days. Maybe that'll do it. Seems a little far fetched. Are you perfectly balanced? Hmm..

Kachina Cadillac has a machine that they plug in and it measures harmonics to determine where the vibration is coming from. That way they can pinpoint the issue. I have a vibration that you can feel for about 2 seconds and it goes away for a second and then comes back. We traced it back to a slightly bent rear rim. I thought it was the drive shaft at first.

Did you feel that in the steering wheel or was it more the back end or the whole car?

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Kachina Cadillac has a machine that they plug in and it measures harmonics to determine where the vibration is coming from. That way they can pinpoint the issue. I have a vibration that you can feel for about 2 seconds and it goes away for a second and then comes back. We traced it back to a slightly bent rear rim. I thought it was the drive shaft at first.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Thanks for sharing this information PGA2B. Glad to hear the dealership was able to help trace your vibration issue and help diagnose this concern for you.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

It was in the back.

I'm thinking now that the additional balancing did help. I drove it a bunch today on the highway and it's still there (on and off), but only a very little bit. That would still make the most sense.

I was wondering about your back rim because I did get a new back rim a few months back for cosmetic reasons. Doubt that would be my issue.

Could be. You can have Discount check for "trueness" of the wheel. They will just bolt it to the balancer and spin it.

I'm reviving my old thread. I finally got this totally solved. Decided to try another tire place. Went to Les Schwab Tire. Asked them to use their Hunter Road Force machine on all 4 wheels.

They said there were no flat spots or out of round tires or wheels, and they didn't turn the tires on the wheels. They just re-balanced all four and found one of the fronts somewhat out of balance. They also swapped the two fronts.

It's perfectly smooth now.......feels great. So basically that Discount shop wasn't doing it right. I don't know if their balance machine is out of calibration or if they don't know what their doing, but they are banned.

Now I know where to go, even though they tried to talk me into siping my tires, which I didn't.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.