Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Tinted Windows Cadillac STS-V

6K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Guy.Seminerio 
#1 ·
Planning on tinting my windows to the maximum allowed tint in NY. No windshield. I've heard there are different types of tints. Carbon? and metallic tint? Anything I should know before I do this? Anyone have any issues with GPS as a result of a certain type of tint? Is anything else on the car affected? Thanks.

#4 ·
If you live in NY your pretty much screwed on tint...

70 percent on both front and rear passenger doors for our car. Rear window can be any darkness. Top 6'' of windshield can be tinted to any darkness, but can not be reflective.

Where in NY are ya? I know in my area (capital region) local cops LOVE to give tint tickets as its bread and butter for local government in fines. Ive known people who have paid literally thousands in tint tickets over the past few years. Id LOVE to tint mine as i think it would look great with my black powdercoated wheels and grilles, but not even taking the risk

#6 ·
I am in Queens, NY. Let's say I have NC plates and I'm driving in a state that has more restrictive tint laws than NC. Can I be ticketed? Also, I have a NY PBA card so I probably won't be ticketed for tints in NY, but I don't want to constantly be pulled over. I'll probably do the 70% all around except windshield and be done with it. So does anyone here actually HAVE the metallic ones? If they really offer better UV protection, that's what I want to go with. That's the primary reason for the tints. Secondary are it not being so hot in the car in the summer, and the look.

#9 ·
Mine is metalic but I've had both. Can't say I can tell a diference but the long term may show it.
The 5% does make left turns hard at night but being in SoCal, it's well worth it to keep the car dark and cool durring the day. Another nice thing is the privacy you get with your girl on those long road trips...

#11 ·
I have 35% ceramic It $100+/- more than normal tint but looks nice and blocks heat real well. I had 3 black on black cars. I have 35% on all my cars and live in pa where any non factory tint is a no no. And had no issues even when I get pulled over for other things lol.

#13 ·
#14 ·
First I called about 15 tint places around here and asked each one if they had "formula one pinnacle series ceramic tints." None did. One place had other tints from Llumar. They had the CTX Llumar Ceramic Tint, a lesser tint, but still good. Llumar apparently makes these tints, and has a whole line of tints, including the blue stock ones on Benzes. That place that carried the other model of Llumar tints gave me the number for Llumar, 18008517781, and told me to ask them who around me has the tints. Called, and got the place. Spoke to the guy at Llumar for a while and he said not every tint shop carries Llumar. the formula one is their premium tint. Llumar does not want to saturate the market with the formula one, so the dealer that carries it has to get special training on it, and has to meet certain requirements. That's why it's not so easy to find a place that has it. Call the number and they'll tell you where to go. So I called the place around me that carries it and they said that Llumar doesn't make the F1 in a 70% tint, and that 70% is practically clear glass. The closest they have to the NYS legal 70% tint, (lets 70% of light in) is a 50%. I've been doing a little research and 50% doesn't look that dark. I think I'm just gonna go with the 50%. Worst case, I get pulled over and show the PBA card. Now that I think of it though, I see a lot of people in NY with tints darker than 70%. Does anyone have 50% tints that has pics of their car to show?

#17 ·
Me and my roommate drove up to
Ny in a rental for a wedding this weekend. Rented a cadillac xts. Nice car. Wouldn't trade mine for it, nor would he trade his cts. Either way, the glass has a factory tint of 70% so now I have an idea of what it looks like. Ill snap a couple of pics so people can see for future reference but you wouldn't think it was tinted looking at it. Think I'm just gonna tint mine at 50% and risk it. Should be alright.

#18 · (Edited)
The place nearest me that does the llumar f1 pinnacle series ceramic tint quoted me $295 for all but the windshield. I asked if llumar made that film in a 100% tint, in other words letting all light in (for the windshield) she said yes, and that the factory glass blocks out 30% of uv rays as it is being that its tempered glass. I asked what adding the clear film would do, she said it would bump it up to 99%. Like I said I'm doing this to protect my interior. So the 50% on the sides and back with the clear for the windshield makes it $400 even. I'm doing it. Also still have the pics of the factory 70% tint from the xts which ill upload when I'm on my computer.

I can't upload a picture that can actually be seen without a magnifying glass on this website so if anyone is interested in seeing what the factory 70% tint looks like, hit me up. It even says on the glass 70%.

#21 ·
the ceramic won't affect radio reception. It's the metallic ones that are supposed to interfere. And you're right about it not being worth it. I'm going with the 50%. I really feel like I see a bunch of people doing it anyway as it is. I don't think its heavily enforced in NYC. Even if I'm pulled over, I'll flash the PBA card and I should be straight. By the way, I'm an idiot. the same factory tint on the XTS is on my car. If you look at the little writing on the glass you'll see something that says TRAN 70% or something like that.

#24 ·
I'm telling you every one runs 35% and 70% is stock no tint at all just uv reducers. Your driving a caddy not a busted Honda civic with limo tint on it. Pa is a 0% tint state and I have never had a ticket for tint. It's the same fine for any tint so might as well pay for tint that looks like tint.

#25 ·
ah just looked it up. Didn't realize PA tint laws are even stricter than NY. 70% all around for PA. NY is 70% except the back is any tint desired. Can you show me what your car looks like with the 35% please. Thanks man. If it doesn't look too dramatically, attention grabbingly dark I'll go 35.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.