Tinted Windows Cadillac STS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Tinted Windows Cadillac STS-V in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Planning on tinting my windows to the maximum allowed tint in NY. No windshield. I've heard there are different types ...
    Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Tinted Windows Cadillac STS-V

Planning on tinting my windows to the maximum allowed tint in NY. No windshield. I've heard there are different types of tints. Carbon? and metallic tint? Anything I should know before I do this? Anyone have any issues with GPS as a result of a certain type of tint? Is anything else on the car affected? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

Re: Tinted Windows Cadillac STS-V

I'm runnin 5% all the way around (no windshield) with no issues. Front door windows are illegal to tint at all in CA but I've been lucky so far...
    The metallic is said to have better UV protection but tends to run a little darker.

STS LC3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V Raven Black-Ebony/Tango Red

This may help
    http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/NY/
    Only 70% on the side windows, wow!

Martyn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If you live in NY your pretty much screwed on tint...

70 percent on both front and rear passenger doors for our car. Rear window can be any darkness. Top 6'' of windshield can be tinted to any darkness, but can not be reflective.

Where in NY are ya? I know in my area (capital region) local cops LOVE to give tint tickets as its bread and butter for local government in fines. Ive known people who have paid literally thousands in tint tickets over the past few years. Id LOVE to tint mine as i think it would look great with my black powdercoated wheels and grilles, but not even taking the risk

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

I have what I think is 35% on all my windows and the cops don't bother me. 5% is way too dark for me. Can't see out at night

I am in Queens, NY. Let's say I have NC plates and I'm driving in a state that has more restrictive tint laws than NC. Can I be ticketed? Also, I have a NY PBA card so I probably won't be ticketed for tints in NY, but I don't want to constantly be pulled over. I'll probably do the 70% all around except windshield and be done with it. So does anyone here actually HAVE the metallic ones? If they really offer better UV protection, that's what I want to go with. That's the primary reason for the tints. Secondary are it not being so hot in the car in the summer, and the look.

Martyn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yes, im pretty sure you can still be ticketed. NY is a money hungry state. Anyway they can get it from you, you can damn well bet they are going to try

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

i have reflective film on mine, its the only film i use. i love the look on silver car, its sliver during day and black at night (referring to tint)

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

Mine is metalic but I've had both. Can't say I can tell a diference but the long term may show it.
    The 5% does make left turns hard at night but being in SoCal, it's well worth it to keep the car dark and cool durring the day. Another nice thing is the privacy you get with your girl on those long road trips...

Ayoooo

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I have 35% ceramic It $100+/- more than normal tint but looks nice and blocks heat real well. I had 3 black on black cars. I have 35% on all my cars and live in pa where any non factory tint is a no no. And had no issues even when I get pulled over for other things lol.

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

The guys that's doing mine swears by the ceramic tint. Again $100 more than normal tint.

http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w2...amic-tint.html
    Did a google search and found this. If you read all the posts on the page, you'll find Ceramic is in fact the way to go.

http://www.hotspottinting.com/window...ng-shades.html
    Also, this page shows the different types. I'm going to go with "formula one pinnacle series ceramic tint." Now I just got to find a place around me that has it.

First I called about 15 tint places around here and asked each one if they had "formula one pinnacle series ceramic tints." None did. One place had other tints from Llumar. They had the CTX Llumar Ceramic Tint, a lesser tint, but still good. Llumar apparently makes these tints, and has a whole line of tints, including the blue stock ones on Benzes. That place that carried the other model of Llumar tints gave me the number for Llumar, 18008517781, and told me to ask them who around me has the tints. Called, and got the place. Spoke to the guy at Llumar for a while and he said not every tint shop carries Llumar. the formula one is their premium tint. Llumar does not want to saturate the market with the formula one, so the dealer that carries it has to get special training on it, and has to meet certain requirements. That's why it's not so easy to find a place that has it. Call the number and they'll tell you where to go. So I called the place around me that carries it and they said that Llumar doesn't make the F1 in a 70% tint, and that 70% is practically clear glass. The closest they have to the NYS legal 70% tint, (lets 70% of light in) is a 50%. I've been doing a little research and 50% doesn't look that dark. I think I'm just gonna go with the 50%. Worst case, I get pulled over and show the PBA card. Now that I think of it though, I see a lot of people in NY with tints darker than 70%. Does anyone have 50% tints that has pics of their car to show?

STS LC3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V Raven Black-Ebony/Tango Red

I know it's not Formula one or CTX but it may give you a shading idea. 70% may be close to the factory tint, not sure.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ive_Simulator/

I used the 3M on mine (35%), no problems so far, and here in Florida we cook the glass (and paint) in the summer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.