STS-V vs. CTS-V2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, STS-V vs. CTS-V2 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I have a problem where I never can be satisfied with what I have. I've been thinking about 09+ CTS-Vs ...
    Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

STS-V vs. CTS-V2

I have a problem where I never can be satisfied with what I have. I've been thinking about 09+ CTS-Vs recently.
    I know they outperform STS-Vs in every respect. (correct me if I'm wrong)
    My buddy has an 09 CTS DI V6 and the interior materials are nice, but I don't believe as nice. I was just doing the leather in the car today and we have leather just about everywhere. I was in the freakin door pockets and they're lined in cow skin. In his CTS, this level of attention to detail is non-existent. As far as I know the interiors are the same on the CTS and CTS-Vs with the exception of the use of that black gloss stuff instead of the grey plastic stuff in the regular CTS.
    There are also little things that the STS-V has over the CTS-V, and vice versa. As an auto enthusiast, things like blind spot info system lane departure warning, more interior room, and 5 more speakers (4 of them in the seats.. nice) shouldn't affect my decision, but they're nice to have. And as far as I know, heads up display isn't available on the CTS-Vs. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this stuff by the way. I don't believe the reliability of the engine to be an issue in either, nor the tranny. (by the way I'd prefer the manual over the auto, but if a good deal on an auto comes up, I wouldn't say no.) I plan to test drive a CTS-V at my local Caddy dealer when I get the chance. Anybody have any thoughts? Especially someone who has driven both. Is the power difference big enough for a noticeable difference in g force on the body, or is it just noticeable with the times? I know some of these questions would be more appropriate for the CTS-V forum, but I'm not sold yet, and I'm trying to compare. I really want to see if I can get someone who has driven both. Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

Re: STS-V vs. CTS-V2

Haven't driven both but have sat in both. The CTS V has leather wrapped racing seats, great for the track, but nothing like the comfort of our seats if driving any sort of distance.
    One thing I can say for sure is that the C is being produced like cookies...anyone with 60k can have one. I still love the fact that the S is rare. Just adds to the cool factor IMO.
    93DevilleUSMC likes this.

Good point about the exclusivity and our seats. About the seats in the CTS-V, the Recaro seats you're talking about are actually optional. Standard seats are the regular seats that come with regular CTSs, only with suede inserts. Those seats by the way are pretty dismal in terms of their ability to hold you under hard cornering (as I said my friend has one.) Is the CTS-V engine hand built? Thanks for the input Rob.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

I didn't like how the center console was laid out and the nav motorizing out of the dash. I am glad they changed the 14 CTS and look forward to the CTS-V in the new V3 format. Now THAT is worth changing for IMHO. That will be my next car and I have heard rumblings that it will be equipped with the LT1 V8 and twin turbo charged putting 750 to the crank.

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

I drive my STS-V every day, and have looked at and driven many CTS-V's over the course of several months thinking of getting one. I think the CTS-V interior is more upscale than the regular CTS interior. Similar dash and door panel leather and stitching to our cars IIRC, and of course there's the 2 different seat options which everyone has an opinion about. I didn't like the Recaros at first, as the "6 cylinder seat" as it's called seemed more comfortable. However, they are very flat and cushy and feel like sitting in a diner booth. Once adjusted and worn in a little the Recaros are nice, like a new pair of shoes. The STS-V seats are kind of in between the 6 banger seats and the Recaros.

As for performance, the stock LSA motor in the V2 pulls really hard and strong, and has tremendous potential for easily making huge power if desired. The STS-V is no slouch though, and most everyone that rides in mine doesn't understand why I want something quicker.

I guess the reasons I haven't made the switch are: I like the bigger size of the STS-V, and not just interior but also the trunk. The bang for the buck with an STS-V is amazing, you get a lot of power and cool features for pretty cheap. Also as others have mentioned it's kind of unique, I rarely if ever see another on the street. Lastly of course is cost, the cheapest V2 with decent miles and price will be an 09 which will set you back at least $40k. First world problems...

750... jeez. That's Ferrari territory. I'm glad they're not compromising though. It's about time Cadillac leads the way, uncontested. The popup nav thing is kinda tacky and it has the tendency to squeak. A positive though is that it's not DVD based, like ours. I suspected they'd go with the new LT1, but assumed supercharged. That should be interesting. I still have hopes that they'll put the LT1 in the ATS-V. I know they say the TTV6, but I've also read from a source (can't remember which) that the LT1 would fit right in, and could possibly be used for a special edition type of deal for the ATS-V. One can only hope. The interior on the 14 CTS looks incredible. Thanks for the input man.

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Good point about the exclusivity and our seats. About the seats in the CTS-V, the Recaro seats you're talking about are actually optional. Standard seats are the regular seats that come with regular CTSs, only with suede inserts. Those seats by the way are pretty dismal in terms of their ability to hold you under hard cornering (as I said my friend has one.) Is the CTS-V engine hand built? Thanks for the input Rob.
    The CTS V2 has the s/c LS engine found in the C6 ZR1. Being an LS, the aftermarket and tuning is almost endless. Again, this is far from exclusive but pretty bad ass. I just went to the Long Beach GP and was able to participate in the Cadillac Corral and with apx 80 V's, only 3 were STS V's.
    I didn't know those seats were just an option...only been in a couple and each was equipped with them.

carter's_sts is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    I don't like any of the current CTSs, V or otherwise. The V is super fast, and if that's what you want, go for it.

But I think the quality of the interior and the overall size make it a lot less appealing. I wouldn't own one personally.

I am anxious to see the 2014 CTS and later V. It looks great, but I still worry about the size. I just like bigger cars. I also like the power, but someday I might have to see if the XTS with the twin turbo is enough (wish they'd switch to a RWD platform).

Otherwise, I hate to say it, but it might be time for a 7 Series or S Class.

I gotta check out the interior of the CTS-V. I like the larger size of the STS-V as well. Carter, if you can wait, a large S Class, 7 series fighter is not too far in Cadillac's future. And the XTS is definitely a no-go unless they go RWD as you say. You seen that thing from the side?? I'm embarrassed FOR Cadillac. The Recaros are in fact an option, and one that I imagine most buyers ticked. First world problems haha definitely. Thanks for the input guys.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

If I am not mistaken I think the Recaro option was $3K and the suede wheel was even more. An AWD Twin Turbo V6 would be ok in the XTS. I am glad they incorporated the Cue system in the CTS. I hope they refine it so it works better. I have read some not so good reviews of it. Also remember the new CTS is 5" longer than the currebt CTS but its too bad that none of that made it into the cabin. I can't wait to see one in person. I one the V3 comes out the price of the V2 will drop quite a bit.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I have driven 6-7 09-13 Ctsv had money down on 2 of them one with 680hp and 5000 miles on it. And still could not talk my self in to One. They are just a cts with a big hp. Kind of like a srt-4 neon at the end of the day it's just a fast neon. Way to small and cheap for me. That's why I sold my 06 for the 08 Stsv. As for speed are cars feel faster from a dig. They just don't pull as hard up top. My old car was 470 ish Rwhp very close to a stock Ctsv and ran 12.14@114. I watched a all most stock Ctsv run 12.19@117 both of us had 1.8 some thing 60ft times. So I would have wone if I got the jump but on the street he would kill me. So if it's speed your after go for it but stock to stock not that big of a difference on the streed under a 120mph most stock Ctsv,s run 12.4-12.7 with a normal driver Stsv 13.0-13.4. So .5/1s difference on average. And if you ask me the are just to much $$$ for what they are. I have my Stsv for road trips and car shows and my corvette for when I want to go real fast. And it's paid for. Also Ctsv get worse mpg most get only 15/17 hwy. I get 20/22 hwy with my v. Hope this helps.

It is a daily driver so fuel economy is somewhat of a concern. Thanks for that man. Although I thought they actually got better mileage. Guess not. Just looked it up.. 14/19 for CTS-V, 13/19 for STS-V. I get around 20-21 on the highway, 16 around here in Fayetteville, and when I'm in NYC, I'm in the single digits easy.

1madstsv - was the high HP V2 w/5000 miles on it that you were considering located in Las Vegas by chance?

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

No York pa 5 miles from me. Bilt buy east coast supercharging. They are a very good shop in nj for corvetts and LS based cars. But a 2011 with 5000 miles and no warranty was not for me when paying 67,500. +2500 over book for it. No thanks. Not having a warranty is one thing for me but paying over book for some one elses mods don't think so.

I looked at a similar V2 in Vegas about a year ago; it was a 2010 with 5000 miles and purportedly $30k worth of mods done at a local speed shop. It put down 618hp at the tires, and also had no warrantee (and it was for sale at a Cadillac dealer!). They had gone into the motor and changed the pistons to bump up the compression one point, in addition to heads, cam, pulleys, blower work, heat exchanger upgrade, long tubes, a high stall convertor, and tuned for racing gas. To run it in CA, I would nave needed to de-tune it for crappy 91 octane, change out the stall convertor, put a stock upper pulley back on, and pray to make it through CA DMV inspection to even get it smogged and registered here. It was a lot of fun to drive around in Vegas, but sadly that's where I had to leave it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.