STS-V vs. CTS-V2 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, STS-V vs. CTS-V2 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Yup, that is the one. Thousand Oaks, CA. Talked the guy down a few grand in price and got him ...
    BlownV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Re: STS-V vs. CTS-V2

Yup, that is the one. Thousand Oaks, CA. Talked the guy down a few grand in price and got him to pay for new tires for it as well. He told me he had one other guy look at it who had a STS-V, figured it was someone on here! Lol

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

Yep that was me. I would have bought it, but didn't want 2 cars while waiting for my stsv to sell. Nice car though, congrats. Cool he covered the tires as the fronts were shot, never saw fronts worn like that.

Thanks, yea, I lucked out...sold my STS-V two days beforehand and then took a flight out there to pick it up. It was a busy week. Cool thing is that the new owner of STS-V is taking it to SEMA so I will get to see her again!

parkeraire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06' sts-v

Congrats on the new ride

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

On Friday morning I took a drive to Cadillac of Fayetteville to test drive a CTS-V. They usually have a bunch on the lot, but they only had one and it was on display inside. No problem, they insisted. Silver, looked good. Was either a 2012 or 2013. You should know my intent is not to insult anyone here. I'm just giving you guys my opinion here. Bottom line is this.. The CTS-V feels like a cheaper car. I know it is cheaper but it also feels cheaper. I can't put my finger on what it is, might be a combination of things. First of all, the steering wheel is very hard, (the leather feels thinner,) I presume for improved road feel? Next, it's noisier in there. Not complaining about engine, supercharger and exhaust (exhaust being the biggest difference vs the STS-V) but the tire noise. And there are little things.. Not crazy about the unpainted plastic on the back bumper (rear diffuser?) I like how our bumper is fully painted, (with the stainless steel thing.) I didn't like the unpainted plastic on my 07 STS. I'm guessing it was done to reduce visual height of the bumper, but it was a good move when that was done away with in 08+ STSs. Either paint it body color, or a big trend in the auto industry is the whole black gloss thing. Paint it black. Speaking of painting things back, how bout those B pillars? In my opinion, those need to be painted black, not just left as unpainted plastic. The brand new 3 series has this issue too. All of the bigger bimmers have the b pillars painted from what I've seen. Either way, I believe this is a bad place to cut costs and a needed improvement on the CTS-V. Then there's the interior. The interior vs the regular CTS is all grey plastic is replaced with black gloss plastic. No other changes. That being said, I like that there is some kind of soft padding under the leather, especially on the dash, but the leather itself is prepared in a way that gives it a plastic-y feel. If you do a little research, you'll see different ways leather is prepped for use in cars and other stuff, and how preparing them certain (lesser) ways can result in a more plastic-y feel. The rest of the leather on the door panels has a rubbery feel. I love the feel of the leather in the STS-V. Also, there are more exposed plastic surfaces in the CTS-V than in the STS-V. As I've said in the past, the interior of the door pockets are lined in leather in the STS-V. It's extreme so I'd say it's a great plus for the STS-V, not a shame on the CTS-V. By the way, don't get me wrong people, that car is f@#$%& fast. The traction control (for the one minute I put it back on) cannot keep up when the back tires spin loose on acceleration. That thing really pulls. The car is smaller, and it feels it. I now got to experience the whole luxury car with performance vs performance car with luxury thing and it is a very accurate description of STS-V vs CTS-V, respectively. That being said, This is a Cadillac, and there is a certain level of luxury missing. This is supposed to be GM's top dog. Cadillac. Yet there is still compromise, whereas it seems GM compromised a lot less in the STS-V. (we know of course they DID compromise. See the SAE 100.) And the HUD.. what a missed opportunity. I found my spoiled self looking down a lot longer than I remember myself looking down before I was ever spoiled with HUD. My buddy's 2007 BMW X5 has a HUD. They've been offering it in the STS since 2005? Pretty sure a rudimentary version was available on early 90's nissans. Why doesn't a 2012/13 CADILLAC have it? A ~$70k Cadillac. It's optional in an ATS. Can't get it with a manual transmission though. More compromise. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. The CTS-V should've been a high performance Buick. Cadillac deserves better. Again, don't take this stuff personally please. It truly is an incredible car. If you want raw performance, it's the car for you..but then again, the Corvette is the car for you too. The level of luxury in the CTS-V should be the expected level of luxury on the Corvette, and the CTS-V should be a step up from what it is right now. I think you guys get where I'm going with this. Besides being a beautifully designed car, there is nothing very "premium" about it. My only issue with my STS-V is that it isn't under warranty. So I thought about it for a while and was leaning towards moving to a CTS-V that is still under warranty, and extending. Then I test drove the CTS-V and it made me appreciate what i have. i love my car that much more now. The STS-V is an incredible car. I couldn't part with it. As a matter of fact, the only car that has the power to make me get rid of my car is a little car called the 2015 CTS-V. That will be my next ride. So until then, when something goes wrong with it, it'll come out of pocket unfortunately. That's the end of that chapter for now. Thanks for all your input guys, and thanks to the CTS-V owners for jumping in here as well.
    93DevilleUSMC and johnnyocc like this.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

oldsmobile introduced hud first then pontiac, then nissan. but i like the night vision cadillac used in the dts's but most think mercedes started it first.

DTS started LED tail lamps too. Started in 2000.

No problem and glad you took the time to truly investigate it for yourself. Everyone is going to have a different perspective and appreciate/rank different features in different ways. I can definitely understand everything you said and don't necessarily disagree with any of it. You want luxury...a cadillac with power, I wanted a corvette that seats 4 lol. One thing you brought up I honestly had no understanding of was the quality of feel in the steering wheel...every CTS-V I have driven has the alcantara (microsuede) finish on the wheel and shifter so I never even knew it was that bad. Either way, all that matters is that you love what you drive.

Thanks. The leather steering wheel was hard relative to the one on the STS-V. It really is an incredible car though. Can't wait for the new CTS-V.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Yep that's what it is a 4 door corvette. That's why I can't bring my self to get rid of my Stsv on a Ctsv and still keep my corvette. But also can't bring my self to get rid of the vette and v on one. My vette gets 28mpg hwy. and run 11.7@120 on street tires. And 10.5@137 on spray. And I have won car shows with it and also autocross events 1st in my class. So it a good allaround car that's paid for. And as for the Stsv it's 85% of the performance and it's Got all the options and class you expect from a caddy.

STS LC3 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V Raven Black-Ebony/Tango Red

Damn! I think I need a couple of more cars just to keep up with you guys. I guess I better start working on the wife (already have her sold on a 65/66 GTO)

God forbid I get a high paying job.. My kids won't have a backyard. It'll be one big garage full of cars. Was in charleston this past weekend (didn't take my car) and saw a red 61 coupe deville or eldorado not sure which. Stunning car. I've always loved the 59 eldorado biarritz. Such a stunning car. Saw a white one in my neighborhood back in NY once. I'm good with my 79 coupe deville for now though. Real head turner. Love that long hood with the cadillac hood ornament at the end. Tank, easy to work on, nothing but room under the long hood. 7.0 liter v8. Sucks gas down like nothing else. Love it though

I think I am going to keep the CTS-V close to stock...use it for groceries, roadtrips and eventually the babyseat. I am waiting on the new Z06/ZR1 for my toy car. The new CTS-V will be a beast I am sure, but with all the talk of 700+hp for the new ZR1, that will be the track car.

Just a quick revive to a very old thread bc I remembered saying this 6 months ago...the cts-v is no longer stock. Just couldn't say no to the easy power. 700hp, drives exactly like stock and sounds stock with the cutouts closed. Looking forward to tossing on the DR's and putting in a few runs at the strip.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Nice. Since this has been brought back up I'll note a couple of things I've learned. In reference to post 35, my long post, the dash and door panels didn't feel up to par with the leather on the sts-v, not because the leather in the cts is of a lesser quality, but because it is not in fact leather at all. It is a vinyl. Still looks decent. The new ats executes the stitched vinyl much better. Much more convincing as leather. Also, I believe the steering wheel on the ctsv was "harder" because it wasn't a heated wheel though it is now available on ctsvs.

I just wanted to clarify this for anyone who happened to use this thread to make this decision in the future. The cts-v is still absolutely a brute in terms of performance and it's a stunner visually.

Good to hear you're doing so well with modifying your car. Let us know how you do at the strip.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.