STS-V vs. CTS-V2 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, STS-V vs. CTS-V2 in Cadillac V-Series Forums; The CTS-V2 lacks the sophistication, class and comfort of the STS-V . . . The C is a neat car ...
    Berger 93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V

Re: STS-V vs. CTS-V2

The CTS-V2 lacks the sophistication, class and comfort of the STS-V . . . The C is a neat car . . . but incomparable to a S.

I find the C to be cramped and gaudy . . .

Now for the engine . . . yes that is a nice piece of engineering . . thus why I have a ZL1.

----------

The CTS-V2 lacks the sophistication, class and comfort of the STS-V . . . The C is a neat car . . . but incomparable to a S.

I find the C to be cramped and gaudy . . .

Now for the engine . . . yes that is a nice piece of engineering . . thus why I have a ZL1.

BlownV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

After owning both now, I am enjoying the CTS-V. I wasn't sold at first but I drove a few and checked out all the options.....eventually pulling the trigger on the CTS-V. There are alot of pros to having a vehicle which shares similar drivetrains with other GM cars...especially in terms of aftermarket and cost of maintenance. I don't think anyone will argue that the LSA is a better platform than the LC3. Suspension wise, the CTS-V in touring mode rides smoother/softer than my STS-V ever did which is something I am very grateful for around town. Steering for me was also a big complaint on the STS-V...felt too sloppy. Interior quality I think is a matter of opinion. I actually like the material selection better in the CTS-V than the STS-V and my STS-V was starting to show its signs of wear and tear with cracked and squeaking plastic parts on the trim. Even silly things like the known problem of peeling doorhandles was annoying. The recaro seats are amazing as well. I drove mine back from LA to PHX and it was more comfortable than the STS-V due to the amount of adjustability in the Recaros. You can change the amount of thigh and kidney support in addition to all the normal adjustments that the STS-V has which allows you to make them fucntion like buckets or racing seats at the push of a couple buttons. The CTS-V2 fixed the wheel hop issue we all have experienced and in all honesty working on the V2 is a piece of cake compared to the northstar. I am going to miss the STS-V and I still see the new owner driving her around occasionally but GM made a huge improvement going from the G1 STS-V and CTS-V to the G2 CTS-V.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Definitely value the opinion of someone who has owned both. Damn until now it's all been in favor of the STS-V, although this is the STS-V forum. I just knew the likelihood of CTS-V owners having driven a STS-V was low, as rare as STS-Vs are. Are there known major $$ repairs that CTS-V2 owners are running in to?

In all fairness, I think we are all going to champion what we personally own. So I am sure that others will say I am biased now to the CTS-V. I haven't seen any major issues pop up on the CTS-V forums yet...at least not ones that are related to normal driving and mod levels. The guys that are pushing 800hp are breaking things...as expected. I am happy to be back under a warranty for awhile in case anything does crop up but so far so good. I don't know if you are looking more for a performance luxury sedan, or a luxury sedan with performance. To me, the STS-V fits the latter and the CTS-V the former. The LSA has more potential in terms of power. Pushing an extra 100hp out of the LC3 is a chore that a lot of people here on the forum have worked hard to achieve. To get another 100hp out of the LSA (556bhp to 650bhp) all you need is a pulley, intake pipe and tune. And the pulley for the LSA is $135...whole kit and tune for under $1000. Not a chance of getting that kind of power/$ with the LC3. Lastly, the large large aftermarket for the CTS-V means that if you can dream it, someone else has probably already done it and can offer a kit for it. Example, some guys don't like the interior wood grain trim, so there are a couple companies doing full carbon fiber (plain and colored) interior panel kits. Real carbon/kevlar, not stickers. Tons of wheel options at reasonable prices as well and something as simple as headers is not a custom part like withe LC3...half a dozen manufacturers out there.

Nice. Would you say the CTS-V without the Recaros is a definite no go? My buddy has the CTS and those seats don't feel very supportive. I'm guessing stay away from those? What about high cost repairs on things other than drivetrain, like electrical crap, etc? Nothing prevalent?

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Go over to the Ctsv side of the site. Lots of new owners complaining abought the rocking recaros. Wheel clicking and suppercharger raddle. On all but new cars. The carpet in some was loose under the drivers feet. These are just some of the things that were posted in the last month. I don't care what you spend your money on I could afford a new Ctsv if I wanted one but I chose to buy my second Stsv went from a 06 with 60k on it to a 08 with 7600 miles on it. After driving more than a hand full of Ctsv 6 speeds and autos. Sedan and wagon. Love the wagon btw. But in the end you need to decide which you like better. So I would go drive as many as you can be for you go any further. I love them when I'm in them and hate them the rest of the time lol. It's just a cheaper bilt car with less room that gets worse mpg that just happens to be stupid fast. Good luck on your decision.
    Ps I transport cars for a living I'm in 14/17 different cars a day and I would get a m5 BMW be for the Ctsv if I want a faster 4 door car.

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownV
    In all fairness, I think we are all going to champion what we personally own. So I am sure that others will say I am biased now to the CTS-V. I haven't seen any major issues pop up on the CTS-V forums yet...at least not ones that are related to normal driving and mod levels. The guys that are pushing 800hp are breaking things...as expected. I am happy to be back under a warranty for awhile in case anything does crop up but so far so good. I don't know if you are looking more for a performance luxury sedan, or a luxury sedan with performance. To me, the STS-V fits the latter and the CTS-V the former. The LSA has more potential in terms of power. Pushing an extra 100hp out of the LC3 is a chore that a lot of people here on the forum have worked hard to achieve. To get another 100hp out of the LSA (556bhp to 650bhp) all you need is a pulley, intake pipe and tune. And the pulley for the LSA is $135...whole kit and tune for under $1000. Not a chance of getting that kind of power/$ with the LC3. Lastly, the large large aftermarket for the CTS-V means that if you can dream it, someone else has probably already done it and can offer a kit for it. Example, some guys don't like the interior wood grain trim, so there are a couple companies doing full carbon fiber (plain and colored) interior panel kits. Real carbon/kevlar, not stickers. Tons of wheel options at reasonable prices as well and something as simple as headers is not a custom part like withe LC3...half a dozen manufacturers out there.
    I have had both. Agree with everything above. I also have the standard seats in mine and they are fine, even driving the car from Memphis to Los Angeles and back. I have had zero problems with the CTS in 27,000 miles. But for the original question, yes you can feel the difference in the seat of the pants, and the CTS rides better, handles better, and in my case gets the same mileage that the STS did. The only major difference in size is in the trunk. They are both good cars. Buyers choice.

Go over to the Ctsv side of the site. Lots of new owners complaining abought the rocking recaros. Wheel clicking and suppercharger raddle. On all but new cars. The carpet in some was loose under the drivers feet. These are just some of the things that were posted in the last month. I don't care what you spend your money on I could afford a new Ctsv if I wanted one but I chose to buy my second Stsv went from a 06 with 60k on it to a 08 with 7600 miles on it. After driving more than a hand full of Ctsv 6 speeds and autos. Sedan and wagon. Love the wagon btw. But in the end you need to decide which you like better. So I would go drive as many as you can be for you go any further. I love them when I'm in them and hate them the rest of the time lol. It's just a cheaper bilt car with less room that gets worse mpg that just happens to be stupid fast. Good luck on your decision.
    Ps I transport cars for a living I'm in 14/17 different cars a day and I would get a m5 BMW be for the Ctsv if I want a faster 4 door car.
    I am on the CTS-V forum and compared to the number of threads on here about maintenance and issues, the number on the CTS-V forum is an order of magnitude lower. Most people talk about upgrades, not fixes...not trans issues (shift to park), t-stat issues, blower issues, etc. That is expected though...just by the average age of the car. My STS-V had a ton of maintenance issues that I went through and to me when something as simple as a sticking thermostat is a challenge for the dealer to diagnose then that is a huge downside as well. I don't want to HAVE to be the person working on my car all the time. I don't have the time for that anymore. I need to be able to trust the dealership to know enough about the car to handle it without issue...again, benefit of the GM parts used and the number of CTS-V's produced. I haven't heard anyone complain about the recaros or clicking wheels yet...although I am sure that some people have their issues and you will see this on every single forum (BMW, Merc, Porsche, etc). The seats have shock absorbers in them so if you aren't use to that feel then you are probably going to think something is wrong, when in fact everything is working as it should. Material selection in the CTS-V compared to STS-V is also a notch up. You can tell this just about everywhere on the car. The quality of the leather in the dash. The thickness of the plastic used for the running boards. The grill. The list goes on. They learned from the CTS-V and the STS-V G1 cars, and applied those lessons. Manufacturers try not to step backward, that makes no sense, especially when the CTS-V is trying to compete with the M5 and CL63 AMG. Also, I get the same MPG I got before. And I am not sure where you are getting your interior dimensions from, but if you pull all the specs the only area where the CTS-V is less than the STS-V by any measureable amount is back seat leg room. So, despite the fact that the car feels much tighter and handles like a smaller vehicle, the interior IMO (just opinion) actually feels bigger.

But yes, back to the initial question. It is a buyers choice. Do you want a luxury car with performance, or performance car with luxury? I love the CTS-V but others may not. The STS-V was a great roadtrip car...160mph runs to vegas and back for the weekend with a full load of people and luggage. But I would never try to take that car to track and even in the twisties in the mountains you could tell it was not in its' comfort zone. The CTS-V is a tighter fit with 4 people but up on the mountain roads I can't wipe the grin off my face. Lastly, some people are HP people and some people are torque people. Drive both and you will know which you are.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...has-given.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r.php?u=167766

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ct-dilema.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-mileage.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-mileage.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...er-rattle.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ng-shocks.html

Most of these were on the first our second page. There are lots more these were the main ones as for the better quality I don't think so the Stsv has a metal grill the Ctsv is plastic dipped in crome. The dash is not fully stiched like in the Sts. There is no heated wheel no heated back seat no heads up display. So no it is not a higher end car it never was even Cadillac will tell you that. As for ride get rid of the run craps on the Sts to make it fair and I don't think you could tell the difference.

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
    Phone dial name

Pardon

Phone dial name

Pardon

PHONE DIAL NAME

Command not recognized

Most of these were on the first our second page. There are lots more these were the main ones as for the better quality I don't think so the Stsv has a metal grill the Ctsv is plastic dipped in crome. The dash is not fully stiched like in the Sts. There is no heated wheel no heated back seat no heads up display. So no it is not a higher end car it never was even Cadillac will tell you that. As for ride get rid of the run craps on the Sts to make it fair and I don't think you could tell the difference.
    I read through all of them and I guess I just have different opinions on priorities than you. The wheel click is a cleanliness issue and there is no negative affect on performance or wear and tear. Also, I haven't had to deal with it. Fixing a silly piece of carpeting that you really can't see to me isn't a big deal either, especially when a piece of velcro takes care of it. Getting the dreaded shift-to-park message that most of us have had on here is a big issue IMO. Having the radiator replaced because it leaked ($1000) was a big deal IMO. When I owned my STS-V, for 2.5 years, I had $9,000 in warranty work done on that car. Keep in mind that I had to replace that dumb diff. bushing twice in 60k miles and the dealer price on that is $800 each time. The STS-V may have been Cadillac's flagship luxury car, but the engineering on the powertrain was plain dumb in certain locations. Had to replace your valve cover gaskets yet? You will eventually and I won't even detail how much of PITA that is because of the blower setup. Having to drop the subframe to change those motormounts? Are you kidding me? Stuff like that is the reason I did not want to keep the car past it's warranty period. I loved driving it...I owned one remember? I am not here to bash a vehicle that I had made the decision to purchase before. The maintenance items that you expect to have to change are not 'easy' to do and only dealer supplied parts are availabe in most cases.

You are absolutely right, no heated back seat. But I also live in phoenix and I don't think a single person has ever used my heated back seats so for me, I didn't care. It was a luxury item with no purpose. The heated wheel? Really? How many people on this forum have had that go bad and the dealer doesn't have a replacement! I will take my alcantara wheel and shifter over the POS ones on the STS-V any day. Absolutely right about the HUD, I wish the CTS-V had the HUD option. That is definitely a win for the STS-V IMO. I never had the runcraps on my STS-V, ran PS2's and yoko's during the life of the car. And I can promise you that the STS-V never rode as nicely as the CTS-V, ever. This suspension is amazing. And hopefully if the shocks leak at all, it is sometime in the next 4 years and they are replaced under warranty. As far as the grill, matter of opinion, even 550stsv on here wanted to swap his for CTS-V grill. It has depth to it, looks better quality. The one on the STS-V IMO looks like that mesh crap that ricers throw on their Honda. The dash in the CTS-V is stitched...I can take pictures for you. And the leather is much thicker on the dash and seats so I am not worried about these seats cracking anytime soon. And how many people on here have had to repair or replace their STS-V dash because it peels up? Personally I think the heater/ac controls look alot more classy on the CTS-V than the 1990s style display on the STS-V...but that is just my opinion. I have owned both, I could have gotten a practically brand new STS-V again if I wanted to...but I opted for the CTS-V after a few months of research and driving various cars. I do not think I made the wrong decision for what I was looking for and what mattered to me. They are two different cars and the individual will need to decide which better suits their interest. The STS-V is a helluva bang for the buck...no doubt...but a car and powertrain that is out of production forever scares me and I have no doubts that LS-series parts will be around for decades.

I personally could care less abought many of the things people complain abought with the Ctsv just hit the gas and you will not notice them lol. But the op asked abought both cars. And the op may be one of those people that it bothered enought to post abought. And at 1-4 years old and 40-75k can he live with said problems. As for the grill it may look nice but it's still plastic at the end of the day same as in my 2011 3500 truck even looks the same. I now have a nice custom painted Tahoe to hall people so im looking to flip my 08 v in hopes of finding a 11-12 blue wagon in manual. And I will turn it in to a 750hp play toy.

There is a 2012 750hp silver wagon here in Scottsdale for sale right now...I looked at...love the wagon, but I just couldn't quite convince myself to get a wagon. I don't know why lol. Looking forward to a mountain drive tonight though

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

BlownV - Is your black diamond sedan the one that was for sale in Los Angeles (Van Nuys) a month or two ago?

OK thanks for all the input. All this stuff matters to me. If I go to a CTS-V it needs to still be under warranty. And I need to extend. Got it. My STS-V warranty is actually expired and I am now left warranty-less. little scary. Obviously I know I gotta drive it myself and see, but there are certain things I wanted to know about the car that I couldn't learn by driving it, so thanks again for dropping all your knowledge guys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.