Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, 'Shift to Park' Part Deux in Cadillac V-Series Forums; A while ago, I encountered the lovely doors unlock, transmission locks into 3rd gear, DTC (0700) is set, and car ...
A while ago, I encountered the lovely doors unlock, transmission locks into 3rd gear, DTC (0700) is set, and car displays 'Shift to Park' in DIC after parked and turned off..... The only way I could get around this was to unplug the battery for a while which was frustrating as it prevented me from doing any research with the Tech II.
Today, while driving on the same road at almost the exact same spot, it happened again; however, this time the Tech II was sitting on the passenger seat. Here is some additional info about this problem.....
- After going through DTC information for all of the active modules in the car, the only DTC set is P0700. I was hoping to find something buried in the IP or other Body module that might have provided more info, but unfortunately, no.
- Clearing the DTC from the engine controller did in fact restore normal driving characterisics. The car would shift normally and I could control shifting in manual mode unlike the last time this happened.
- Clearing the DTC from the ECM did *NOT* clear up the shift to park message.
- Clearing DTC's from all controllers, I had a few random ones, did not clear up the shift to park message.
- No matter how hard I tried, 'Shift to Park' and the annoying beeping persisted and I had to pull the battery again.....
- I viewed Tech II data for the shift data items and nothing appeared out of the ordinary?? The parking lock / position indicator information all read properly according to the tool.
- The Engine Light and Doors unlocked while I was cruising at a constant 25-28 MPH. I know the speed definitely as the street in question is a heavily policed area and they are very firm about enforcing the 25 mph limit.
- Over the past couple week or so my car has been throwing up the 'Service Stability System' and a very rare 'Shift to Park' message. Shift to park has happened maybe 3 times in the last month. Over the past week, the 'Service Stability System' went from almost never appearing to happening 5 or 6 times while driving the car. If I do the Tech II test of the Steering Wheel Angle sensor it mostly passes; however, it sometimes fails. I've been waiting for warm weather to replace that sensor.
I wonder if there is a shared circuit between these two systems?
The weather has been rather wet the last couple weeks which is when the messages really started popping up.
With all of that said, I strongly believe there is some sort of internal counter or monitor that is stored in one of the module's memory that has no way of being cleared other than disconnecting the battery. The next time this happens, I'll test this theory by pulling fuses to the modules individually instead of pulling the battery to see if I can narrow it down. I assume this is coming from the BCM, though.... After I reconnect the battery tonight, I"m also going to monitor the other errors in regards to the 'Service Stability System' to see if that starts behaving again.....
Replacing the micro-switch may 'solve' this problem as well; however, at this point I want to understand why the nag message appears and never goes away until the battery is disconnected. If the switch was failed, pulling the battery shouldn't fix things... If the switch is intermittent, pulling the battery wouldn't fix things either unless the system is just keeping a running tally, etc....
I bought a 2008 last month that beeped every time the car was shut off with a message that it was not in Park. The dealer changed the shifter and the problem went away. There was a thread where the switch inside the shifter was replaced to correct the problem cheaper than replacing the shifter,http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/neu...illac/sts.html.
I had a very similar problem. Thankfully, the car was under extended warrant and I asked the dealer to take the car until the problem was fixed. Initially it felt like I had some gremlins in the car messing with me. Doors would lock and unlock on their own, car would go into limp mode, I could not get it to acknowledge it was in park when it was, I could not shut off the accessory and the battery drained. What it turned out to be was a sensor switch within the shifter not working properly. I know this sounds like it wouldn't solve the issue of door locks etc., but trust me it did. This problem started with one or two issues a few years ago and then one day, all hell broke lose.
The part on my STS -V was the Transmission Internal Mode switch - FP part number 24242938
Two years later, all is good and no similar issues have come up.
I love my STS-V, but I do have the "Shift to Park- Accessory Mode on" problem that started randomly and infrequently, but now is frequent.
I appreciate the posts about this, and especially the part number listed above--STS -V was the Transmission Internal Mode switch - FP part number 24242938--and am wondering if there might be a "How To Replace the Switch" guide somewhere, to help me do it myself?