Purple headlight
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By TimmyC
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Purple headlight in Cadillac V-Series Forums; While driving home last night I noticed my driver headlight was purple. I kinda figured something was up.. I came ...
    rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv

Purple headlight

While driving home last night I noticed my driver headlight was purple. I kinda figured something was up.. I came out this morning and the driver headlight is out. Nice start to the morning

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Purple headlight

no biggie!! just get HID replacements. they arent that expensive. maybe 150 for the kit and do both.

I like your thinking sir.

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

i havent done it personally, but i know others have. its ALOT better than the alternative. i might do mine just because. i like the bright blue lights (8k) personally.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

There is a stock ballast on ebay for $58 too. A lot of the aftermarket HIDs suffer from reliability problems.
    KingOfLacs and KingOfLacs like this.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

IMG_1713.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_2048.JPG

I say go Tim's route. Go stock. Here's why. One day I had the front bumper off at a electrical/lighting place because one of those little parking lamps went out. I decided to replace them with LEDs. This is on my 2007 STS V8 that I sold as of today by the way. Since the bumper was off, I decided to change out the headlights. They were the original headlights from 2007, making them 5 years old. HIDs take a while to actually stop working, but over time they slowly dim so I said since the bumper is off, lets change them. I went with an aftermarket 35w one. It was 6000K, which is brighter than 8000k. The results are shown in the first picture. Too dim. Went back to the 5 year old stocks I initially had on and it was much better. (picture 2) The 3rd pic is on my 09 STS-V. A little brighter than the 07, which makes sense because they've been burning for around 2 years less. Either way, I'll never go aftermarket on HIDs. On my other cars I've had, I went from halogen to HID with the same people, and it was an unbelieveable difference. I had the brightest lights on the road. this is the same place I'm talking about so it's not the quality of the light or ballast, etc. I know their work and it just didnt work on the STS. Bottom line, stock phillips ballast for me from now on, and it's what I recommend for anyone who is concerned with illumination. Now if wanting to have blue lights because it looks cool is what you're going for, different story. Hope this helps.

Fierofiend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

Slightly off topic, but apparently my headlights are pointed downward too far. Looking at the light pattern you have there, following the foundation line on the house, my headlights would be angled down much further. I wonder if the PO angled them downward for some reason...

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

When I bought mine I had to adjust them up a bit too.

Thanks all the information everyone. I'm going to try the new ballast off eBay.

Just so ya know I'm on a slight incline that evens out just in front of me so if I pulled up another couple of feet, you'd have seen they were aimed much lower.

Replaced with OEM bulb. Works good as new

originalgarage is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 STS-V

all aftermarket hid are not created equal. personally, the 4300k oem bulbs are too yellow for me. i prefer the other side of white (5k). there are some 5-6k phillips options but i use morimoto. imo, they fill the gap between aftermarket junk and oem quality.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Attachment 106173
    Attachment 106175
    I went with an aftermarket 35w one. It was 6000K, which is brighter than 8000k. The results are shown in the first picture. Too dim.
    The 3rd pic is on my 09 STS-V. A little brighter than the 07, which makes sense because they've been burning for around 2 years less. Either way, I'll never go aftermarket on HIDs.
    Seeing these 2 pictures comparing the aftermarket to the 09 lamps makes me wonder if my 08 has already had its HIDs swapped out with some aftermarket junk.
    I swear my output (which is a factory HID car) is very similar in intensity to your first (aftermarket pic) and certainly nowhere near as bright as the 09 V has.

If yours are that low I'd get them changed out and have the factory ones put in. I wanna say those aftermarket ones were dimmer than some halogen lights on other cars. Real bad. If you got a little extra dough lying around, do it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.