Why did GM use the LC3 instead of the LS7 in the STS-V & XLR-V - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Why did GM use the LC3 instead of the LS7 in the STS-V & XLR-V in Cadillac V-Series Forums; from the sound of it i don't think they ever planned for the SAE 100 to be a production vehicle ...
    RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Why did GM use the LC3 instead of the LS7 in the STS-V & XLR-V

from the sound of it i don't think they ever planned for the SAE 100 to be a production vehicle buy more of a research lab to inform future production vehicles

many of the bulleted technologies mentioned there are standard on Cadillacs these days
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Yeah, sure would have been a cool car at the time though. But I still like my STSs.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

except for no trunk space

Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Nimoch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

insert Back to the Future quotes here:

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

They would have been able to hide most of that. Ever seen the first computer or cell phone?

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    Yeah, they had really big hopes for the STS-V. Didn't even come close to panning out.

I love having a rare car, but I wish they would have done a little better. I think among other things, they priced it way too high new.
    Are you serious? If I remember correctly the STS-V was a 15-20K premium over a fully loaded STS, so what should it had cost having a hand-built gem and leather wrapped interior among other things?

Yes I am serious. Look how much better the CTS sold, regular and V, probably because of price, wouldn't you think? I was commenting about pricing for the market at the time, not what you or I think the car was worth.

Regardless, the STS, and especially the V version didn't sell well at all. I assume they would have sold more if it was priced lower.

For a recent example, the MB CLS 550 was not selling that well. When they did an update to it for 2012 they also lowered the price by about 20k. So it's a better car and priced quite a bit cheaper, and they are now selling more.

Yes I am serious. Look how much better the CTS sold, regular and V, probably because of price, wouldn't you think? I was commenting about pricing for the market at the time, not what you or I think the car was worth.

Regardless, the STS, and especially the V version didn't sell well at all. I assume they would have sold more if it was priced lower.

For a recent example, the MB CLS 550 was not selling that well. When they did an update to it for 2012 they also lowered the price by about 20k. So it's a better car and priced quite a bit cheaper, and they are now selling more.
    Its a fact that the CTS was a success, but I don't think the STS-V sales are a direct reflection of the price. What me or you think the car is worth is subjective, I based my statement on the STS-V's content. Feature for feature the 06-09 STS-V's outshine the 09-13 CTS-V's, despite the fact the CTS-V's performance stats are higher. Features like heated steering wheel, HUD, hand built motor, etc these features drive and drove costs and remember the STS-V debuted in 05 and some of these features are still premium features in any price class today. The grade of the materials used in the STS-V were top notch as well; I had a ATS 2.0T as a loaner vehicle beautiful interior but I could tell it was of a lower grade, and that is just one example another is an S550, but I could name more. IMO few cars even to this day can compete with the STS-V's interior, and I'm pretty sure Dräxlmaier suggested a suede headliner but GM was still GM, lol.

Also marketing, the CTS 1 & 2, were thrown in your face all the time as performance cars, V trim or not, thats how that vehicle was pushed. Who could forget the CTS from the Matrix or how BOLDLY the CTS-V2 challenged the M5, other than 1 combined commercial how would one have learned about the STS-V?

Its also possible that the STS-V was ahead of its time, people overall didn't look to Cadillac for performance vehicles. Or maybe minor tweaks were needed that would have attracted more buyers like an exhaust with an note, lower ride height, more aggressive wheels...
    Last but not least people do embrace innovation, the LS motors are awesome but they couldn't compete with the LC3 in the arena of technology.

When did the CLS not sale well? The CLS's price was never cut by 20K...

----------

Perception vs. reality

http://www.g8board.com/forums/archiv...p/t-56063.html

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Wow, lots of misinformation there!

bigburban is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Sts-v 2008
    I wonder how many current owners got their v because of the lc3. I know it was one of the reasons I got mine. I have reread this article several times. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...y/viewall.html

I couldn't find the review I read when the 2012s came out, but I could swear I remember them saying 20k. But I might be remembering wrong. This review says:

http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz...12/#fullreview

"What's New for 2012

The Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class has been completely redesigned for 2012 with bold new styling, an upgraded cabin, a choice of twin-turbo V8s and a significantly cheaper price."

For sales from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_CLS-Class

it shows US sales went up in 2012 (and 2011, when it came out) after not selling too well relative to how they sold earlier on:

Calendar year US sales
    2004 n/a[55]
    2005 14,835[56]
    2006 10,763
    2007 7,906[57]
    2008 5,775
    2009 2,527[58]
    2010 2,135[59]
    2011 5,665
    2012 8,065

Quote Originally Posted by youknooow View Post

When did the CLS not sale well? The CLS's price was never cut by 20K...

I couldn't find the review I read when the 2012s came out, but I could swear I remember them saying 20k. But I might be remembering wrong. This review says:

http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz...12/#fullreview

"What's New for 2012

The Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class has been completely redesigned for 2012 with bold new styling, an upgraded cabin, a choice of twin-turbo V8s and a significantly cheaper price."

For sales from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_CLS-Class

it shows US sales went up in 2012 (and 2011, when it came out) after not selling too well relative to how they sold earlier on:

Calendar year US sales
    2004 n/a[55]
    2005 14,835[56]
    2006 10,763
    2007 7,906[57]
    2008 5,775
    2009 2,527[58]
    2010 2,135[59]
    2011 5,665
    2012 8,065
    Did you factor in the recession and the 2012 model was a redesign? Other than powertrain that car had no major visual updates from 05-11. If I remember correctly I think that car originally started around 75-80K

Cars.com says the 2012 had a price range of 66 to 87k. Yes there are other factors, but I'm pretty sure simple economics supports that price has to do with sales even if they didn't lower it as much as I thought.

What if someone sold a luxury car for 10k? There'd be a mad rush to those dealers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.