Common question I'm sure - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Common question I'm sure in Cadillac V-Series Forums; okay how do i "simply rewire the cigarette lighter to a switched circuit"? I've identified the fuse that runs the ...
    terrydactul is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Sts V

Re: Common question I'm sure

okay how do i "simply rewire the cigarette lighter to a switched circuit"? I've identified the fuse that runs the front cigaret lighter under the hood, which switched circuit would you recommend rewiring to and would it effect that circuit?

todrules is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You'll have to figure out something that's a switched accessory. It's been years since I've installed a car alarm or an aftermarket radio. I always used a test light with the car in accessory. I think you might have misunderstood when I said to rewire to cigarette lighter, you'd actually have to cut that from the current fused circuit and tie that into another circuit that is only live with ignition on or on accessory. One choice would be radio or if you can find the switched ignition circuit itself, possibly climate control, or just see what is live with the ignition on and live in accessory, and no voltage with ignition off.

It seems easier just to use a add-a-circuit to the radio circuit off the passenger side back seat fuse box and then just purchase a longer power cord to run a stealth wire to the front windshield. Its a 10 fuse I doubt the xm radio takes up much and the worst that would happen is fry a fuse

Update: I finished the hard wire and the RD now turns on/off with the ignition. First I used a add-a-circuit fused at 10 and 2 (for the RD) and hooked it to the driver side back seat fuse box in the "spare" circuit right next to the 20 fused used for the rear defroster. I grounded the direct wire adapter kit that comes with the radar on the bolt that is just under the back support cushion (just back off the nut and slide the grounding prongs under the washer). Next I cut the factory non fused end off the direct wire adapter and stripped it to join into the already half sleeved red wire that comes on a add-a-circuit, crimped that and presto. To run the cord stealth I popped the side paneling that runs along the door towards the front and up between the dash and the door frame, then simply tuck it between the dash and windshield using your fingers to push it in. Hope this helps some one in the future.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.