Questions about modding the V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By 06 STS Rob
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Questions about modding the V in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So i have read lots of threads and used the search a lot. But i still have questions that i ...
    ChurchSTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX, 2007 STS-V

Questions about modding the V

So i have read lots of threads and used the search a lot. But i still have questions that i am not sure about. I am looking into getting the Spectre intake with the upper y-tube. They look pretty awesome and i really want to hear the SC more. My question is with this: Will i need any sort of tune for these additions? I have seen threads where the trans gets confused due to the amount of air going through the MAF. Can i just bolt these parts on and drive away? Or will i need to get my tuner to adjust some things.

Also, were does everyone get these red under hood engine parts? I have seen red SC casings, red fuel rail covers, etc... Where do these come from? I would like to throw those on as well.

I appreciate all the answers i can get. I am far from a stranger to modding cars, just don;t know a lot about this one. Yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: Questions about modding the V

You'll need a tune to take full advantage of the intake.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Yep what they said^^^^. As for the red parts they painted them.

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

From what I've read here, you will certainly get a check engine light and the car will most likeley go into limp mode with that intake and no tune... TimmyC makes a MAF plug in that will correct that but if you want to pay WAY more, D3 make one called the D-Tronic. I resently posted a thread about how bad their customer service is though so if you go with them, don't expect much other than paying 4x what Tim charges. I ordered TimmyC's intake and MAF plug in and am looking forward to recieving them soon.

Not sure about the red parts your talking about but I've seen a few of the plastic parts painted red...

I see. So i do more than likely need a tune to make sure that my car doesn't go all retarded. I see. How do i aquire one of these MAF plug ins?

The tune will optimize the peformance of the intake however, the MAF plug in allows the use of the intake with some power gains.
    I'm new to this car as well so I'm just sharing what I've learned over the last few weeks while looking for an intake. The Spectra is a knock off of D3's intake for about $150 less... Tim's intake is one peice ( only goes along one side of the engine) is said to provide better flow, and is about half the price of the D3 stage1 & 2... All these require either a tune at the time of installation, or a MAF plug in otherwise the car will not run properly.

PGA2B is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Rob- Step away from the crack pipe dude.....

1.You don't need a tune with the Spectre intake.
    2.There is a calibration sleeve that corrects the signal to the ECM so there will be NO CEL's.
    3.Also they were $500 for the upper AND lower to start with and cheaper now. The D3 was well over $1200 at the time and you needed their MAF re-calibrator box to keep the ECM happy.

HA HA! Like I said...I'm new too, just sharing what I've learned over the last couple of weeks. I must have been misinformed about the Spectra. In fact, most of what I'm learning has been from you PGA2B and TimmyC so glad you came in to clearify. I'll stay away from trying to help others and leave it to the guys who have the experience from now on.

The D3 is around $600 now for the stg-1&2 now...this I know for sure cause I had it ordered until after week 6 they still never returned a phone call nor shipped the intake.
    GizmoQ and GizmoQ like this.

Their Customer Service has always left a lot to be desired.

In fact the original owners name was James and it was his arrogance that lead me to work with Spectre to develop the intake in the first place.

TimmyC is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

The red parts you've seen are powder coated stock pieces. You can remove your parts and have a local powder coating company do it or you can send them to me and I'll do it.

I strongly suggest a tune with my intake. The MAF module I have available is good to use until you get the car tuned for the intake. I provide the correct data for the intake so it's a simple operation for the tuner. A good tune is a must to get the most out of the car anyway.

I have many parts available for the STS-V and I'm still developing new ones. Just search this forum for my user name. D3 has gotten out of this market completely from what I can gather.

mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

I have the Spectre intake, and have had no problems. I've had it since last year. Still no tune for it yet. My cousin and I might be going in halfsies on a hp tuner.

Well i decided what to do. I Will be getting the Spectre intake and the intake tubing along with one of TimmyC heat exchangers. (It gets might hot in AZ and roots blowers hate it.) I will also be talking to my local tuner and buy him some credits. Throw on some Corsa mufflers and leave it be.

I did find a good local powdr coating guy to make my engine bay pretty too!

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Pretty colored parts always make cars faster

Quote Originally Posted by ChurchSTSV View Post
    I will also be talking to my local tuner and buy him some credits.

Where you gonna take it?

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post

Where you gonna take it?
    nicD

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.