Hub replacemnet
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Hub replacemnet in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So after a long wait, my car is finally back from the shop and is ready to go under the ...
    Martyn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hub replacemnet

So after a long wait, my car is finally back from the shop and is ready to go under the knife within the next two weeks.

My mechanic has diagnosed my left rear hub going bad. Probably the source of my abs/stabiltrak warnings that come and go. Want to get this taken care of while we are doing the pulley/throttle body/plugs-wires/injectors.

Now comes the questions. I get a decent discount through work through both GM and NAPA. Both of these are more expensive then the route of the ones available on ebay.

So when it comes down to it, what route is the best to go? I dont really want to cheap out, but what is the difference between a $120 set, a $275 set and a $400 set. I see the ridiculous mark up the end consumer gets, and I actually get a better warranty going through napa vs oem and the ones on ebay.

The car is my daily driver. Plan for it to be so for the next few years. I dont want to skimp on it, but i also dont want to pay twice what i should

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: Hub replacemnet

OEM or Timken. I've chased ABS/Stabilitrack issues when using cheapo wheel bearings. Once replaced with a Timken - gone. The job isn't hard, but it's not worth saving $100 to possibly have to do it again.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    OEM or Timken. I've chased ABS/Stabilitrack issues when using cheapo wheel bearings.
    I agree. I've changed wheel bearings on several vehicles over the years and the eBay cheapos always meant I did it twice. The last set of cheapies I bought was a $60 a pair off of eBay for my winter beater, they lasted less than 10K miles and were gone/loose.

On my Trailblazer I ended up getting only about 15K out of the first set of eBay cheapies before I developed problems with the ABS. In that vehicle it wasn't the sensor that went bad but problems with the reluctor wheel inside the bearing.

Not only did it cost me more in the end, but when I figure the time I spent on the vehicles doing the jobs a second time it was more expensive than doing it the right way the first time.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

a poster recommneded GMParts direct for my weatrherstripping GM price was 142, and GMP was 92--just got it and its a true GM part--id check them out--send them your VIN and theyll give you a price

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.