Would you pay over blue book?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Would you pay over blue book? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I found an STS-V that seems to be a good car. It has about 61,500 miles on it and looks ...
    Livyx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Hopefully a CTS-V

Would you pay over blue book?

I found an STS-V that seems to be a good car. It has about 61,500 miles on it and looks good. It's an 06 and blue book on the car is $17.8k (Edmunds), about $20.5k (kbb), and NADA is hard to figure since it only shows dealer retail. The seller is asking $23k for it. So, would you come in and low ball him with a high teens offer or pay more than blue book?
    Since these cars are so hard to come by, I worry that i just kinda have to pay whatever someone is asking! Thanks for your input in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: Would you pay over blue book?

IMHO - these sell under BB. If the car is minty, I'd agree to the asking price but you can shop around and find something better. The price isn't great but not completely out of line.

What about a modded car? I generally don't discount them but I also tend to not add to the price for them.
    This one has a Borla cat-back, 2.4 inch supercharger pulley, 60 lbs injectors, 85MM Throttle body and intake, The car was tuned and put down 470HP and 477 TQ. Does that increase or decrease the value in your minds?

Depends on the car. I wouldn't factor it in on a V.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

That car looks pretty nice and has top quality parts on it. I don't normally factor in aftermarket parts but these were installed within the last six months and came from me so at least you know they are not hack-job mods. 23k is at the upper end of the market but maybe the car is worth it.

I wondered if they were from you. I've been doing a lot of research on these and your name comes up often. I think if I can negotiate some I will be the proud new owner. I hope he will work with me a little and not be offended by my offer after I check the car out in person.

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Why would someone mod a car right before selling it?

I suppose if they had sudden financial losses.

I do wonder why people sell good cars that are in good shape. Mine are toast when they leave.

1madstsv is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I sold my 06 with 86k on it for 18.5 with most of the mods taken off the car. Timmy dont those hp# seem high I tought you were only getting 440/450 out of the mods. I would not buy it thinking that you are getting a 470rwhp car only to find out latter it's not. If it is good but they might only be saying it to try and sell it.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Those numbers are from a different dyno than I use. The Mustang dyno typically shows lower numbers than dynojet and others. Dynocorn usually shows higher. I made 454/442 with those same mods.

1madstsv is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

That's what I was thinking I did not want the op to pay over kbb thinking its 470hp and they dyno it and it only makes 440/450.

Thanks for looking out 1madstsv. I'm familiar with the differences on dyno types... To a degree. I'm by no means a tuner but I've had a supercharged mustang and gone thru a few dyno runs and argued with guys who had slower cars that swore they had more horsies than me.
    Either way, it seems that this seller is adding in some cushion due to mods and rarity of the car. He pointed out that due to the color combo it is 1 of 6 cars of its kind. I don't know or care if that is accurate, but if it is in great shape I'm sure he and I can negotiate a price that makes us both happy.
    Anything specific I should watch out for in y'all's opinions?

A dyno is just a tool, don't get too hung up on it.

As long as he didn't put FIRM on his price, he plans on negotiating.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

i know this can get to be a religiuos discusiion, but ive been buying/selling perfornce carsa long time--generally speaking a modded car doesnt carry the value a stock one does.These arent collector cars yet but mods detract value from collector status vehicles--My feeling is that if the mod didint affect the reliability of a car long term , and it did increase peffromance, the factory woiuld have put it in, eg underpulleys--if it didnt affect the over dependability, the factory would have designed it in.So to me, unless you want the modded items, the car isnt worth paying any premium--its rare buyer who'll want the mods and when you sell the car, youll run into that issue, ie modded vs stock, There are plenty of older sts vs around if youre willing to travle to get one

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    A dyno is just a tool, don't get too hung up on it.

As long as he didn't put FIRM on his price, he plans on negotiating.
    Yeah, for sure. I'm not gonna come in swinging with a $16k offer, but I'm certainly not looking to pay what he's asking.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by torched10 View Post
    i know this can get to be a religiuos discusiion, but ive been buying/selling perfornce carsa long time--generally speaking a modded car doesnt carry the value a stock one does.These arent collector cars yet but mods detract value from collector status vehicles--My feeling is that if the mod didint affect the reliability of a car long term , and it did increase peffromance, the factory woiuld have put it in, eg underpulleys--if it didnt affect the over dependability, the factory would have designed it in.So to me, unless you want the modded items, the car isnt worth paying any premium--its rare buyer who'll want the mods and when you sell the car, youll run into that issue, ie modded vs stock, There are plenty of older sts vs around if youre willing to travle to get one
    That's always how I've looked at it too. You never get out what you put in with mods. Generally, they scare most buyers away. The issue is that most people who mod cars can't see past the money they have invested vs what people are willing to pay. It's a tricky situation when it comes to these cars. You guys all have your awesome cars and probably aren't searching the interwebs for them very often. They are hard to come by for sale with under 100k on them anymore. I have only found a few and this one I can actually see in person without a plane ride, so I am willing to negotiate, even if he's delusional about the value of his car after the mods he's put into it.

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

2 words for you OP "GAP INSURANCE"
    I paid a little over KBB for my 08' but the car is in great shape and still under the factory power train warranty. I was able to get gap insurance on it for $400...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.