Winter driving
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Winter driving in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So this is the second year driving my v through winter. I have been driving it more as I gave ...
    bigburban is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Sts-v 2008

Winter driving

So this is the second year driving my v through winter. I have been driving it more as I gave my winter beater to my 16 year old daughter to drive and have not replaced it yet. I have dws on Oem rims. It does very well in snow. I've not so much. A very light touch on the throttle and it does very well. Drove it in to work when 2/3rds of the staff stayed home as they claimed it was to slippery. The only thing I don't like with the v is if I give it to much throttle from a stand still it seems to go into a limp home mode. The throttle seems to be disconnected and it is a cycle gets setup that seems to move the car forward at a very low speed, the only way to get out of this mode is to hit the brakes and stop the car. Any one else experience this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jailtime is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 95 Sierra Z71

Re: Winter driving

I don't know how the V does in the snow. I stored mine for the winter after I found how terrible it was on cold, dry pavement. I'll admit that there was a bit of lead in my right foot.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

I had that happen to me when I was in KC. I learned how to drive her in the winter. Turning off Traction Control helps.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Traction control off. Stick to the right. Shift to second gear and it is pretty easy to get started.
    IF you take your foot off the gas, it will downshift back to first - only annoying thing about it.
    This is my 7th season driving here in Chicago, so I have a little experience in this area .

Bob

nsaness is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)

blizzaks.... period

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

I put mine up for the winter. I had my mother's old Monte Carlo last winter to get me through on the crappy days, and the Caddy just sat outside. But anything below 50* here in Chicago, wet or dry (with road salt down), this car is a handful to drive. Can you get by? Absolutely. But I've found, even with the new DWS's, that the slightest sudden application of throttle, if the car is not in a straight line, is a dangerous proposition.

So I talked the wife into a used Suburban that is my winter warrior and our family utility vehicle. The Caddy is over in my other garage, up on my lift.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57 View Post
    The Caddy is over in my other garage, up on my lift.
    Show Off!!

I don't have any trouble in the winter now at all..........lol

Given the choice, I'd rather be in Arizona too. At dinner last night, I kindly reminded the Wife that both Phoenix and L.A. were 75* yesterday afternoon. It was 5* here.

beyerch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Yeah I have a ~500 mile set of DWS on the car in the greater Chicago area and last week was ummmm interesting.

Anything other than absolutely minimal throttle turned into the sweet sounds of Traction control kicking in.. I even broke the rear end loose....

I was wondering if manual mode in 2nd gear would help and it seems a couple people above me confirmed this. It seemed to me 1st gear is a bad choice, lol.

I am slightly regretting not putting blizzak's on it though.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    2nd gear starts are helpful even in the AWD non V. It reduces traction control application.

Well, today was an absolute painfree, uneventful drive in to work

With the Suburban...

With the Caddy I'd have needed to bring a spare pair of Hanes with me to change into once here at work...

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

How much snow are you guys trying to drive through? I've never had an issue with 1 or 2 inches of snow. It's not fun, but by no means is it difficult or scary....I just leave an enormous amount of distance between me and every assh*ole in an SUV. Also, what's with the idea of turning off TC? Mine kicks on, but at 5% throttle it's not cutting much power.

After 3 inches....why even try to drive the STS-V?

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

RE: TC - sometimes you need to turn it off as it forces you to stay in a limp mode when you may be clear to accelerate normally.
    RE: SUV - yeah those 'invincible' a-holes are annoying to be around.

We haven't had much snow up until this past week, but now I'd say around 4 - 5 has fallen in the last few days.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBlood_STSV View Post
    How much snow are you guys trying to drive through? I've never had an issue with 1 or 2 inches of snow. It's not fun, but by no means is it difficult or scary....I just leave an enormous amount of distance between me and every assh*ole in an SUV. Also, what's with the idea of turning off TC? Mine kicks on, but at 5% throttle it's not cutting much power.

After 3 inches....why even try to drive the STS-V?
    I'm going to try to keep mine out of the snow as much as possible, and even on rainy days I find myself taking the winter beater to work.

Before the STS I had a tiny car, a Saturn Sky, I didn't drive that car in the snow and stopped driving it on rainy days after a few experiences during my commute on I95. Several times over a year in rainy weather I wound up seeing the trucks and SUVs that were tailgating me in the rain, next to me on the shoulder when traffic came to a sudden stop. On the uphill portions of I95 when traffic comes to a stop you can see half a dozen or so vehicles diving onto the shoulder because they can't stop in time. Before I moved to VA I never saw such a phenomena in bad weather driving, it's quite nuts.

I've also been hit a few times by the sheets of ice that people refuse to clean off of their vehicles in the winter. That's enough persuasion for me to drive the beater in snow.

I do plan on putting a good all season, Conti DWS on the STS though for the few times when I do get caught in surprise snow storms.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.