Rear End Suspension Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Rear End Suspension Question in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I apologize for the plethora of questions; however, I'm trying to get used to the 'new to me' STS-V. One ...
    beyerch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Rear End Suspension Question

I apologize for the plethora of questions; however, I'm trying to get used to the 'new to me' STS-V.

One thing that is driving me borderline crazy is I have what feels like 'looseness' in the rear-end; however, I cannot pin-point it at all.

When I first picked this car up, I took a left turn (intersection w/ turn arrow) at ~10 MPH and had the rear end violently break loose. After this, I noticed rear tires were very low (7 PSI low). After adding proper air to tires, I didn't have any more incidents; however, when I would drive over bumps, the rear end would feel it would 'shimmy'. As the rear tires were complete garbage, I had them replaced and noticed that MOST of the problem seemed to went away. I also ended up replacing the RR Hub assembly as the bearing was definitely going bad. I also had the alignment done on the car and the left side was pretty far out of spec and has been corrected.

Since this time, it feels alot better; however, every now and then, I feel like the rear end isn't quite right and it wants to 'shimmy' a bit on me. Even more rarely, I will get a squake/clunk on hard bumps, but I can't seem to place it.

I'm curious if there are any known areas of concern with the suspension on these cars of if anyone else has had a similar issue. Before I start going on a mission to replace every bushing, control arm, end link, tie rod end, I'd like to hear from the peanut gallery.

Thanks!

Charles

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Re: Rear End Suspension Question

I haven't heard of anyone having suspension issues on the stock suspension. I myself have gone through 3 wheel bearings/hubs. So maybe your Left is bad too? The car is a performance car...crummy, under-inflated tires will mess with it.

I notice that my car is a bit unrefined until it's warmed up but after 10 minutes it's the smoothest thing I've driven.

What year / how many miles are on your V?

It's funny you mention the 'until it's warmed up' part. Sometimes I drive the thing and it feels perfectly like I'd expect and then sometimes it feels a little off.....

Maybe I'll replace the other HUB as I already bought it and it wasn't that hard.....

The car is an 06 and it has ~30K miles. It does look to me that it had an accident in it's past so it may not be 100% babied....

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

you would be able to tell if it was in a accident, the lines on them stock are very precise side to side and front to back. you could always put the car on jack stands or on a lift and start wiggling stuff back there. i know mine was clunking and it was the rear diff bushing, had to remove the entire rear cradle to replace, but if you have the tools its a pretty easy job (lift would be very very helpful!!!) also, with the alignment being that far off, maybe something is slightly bent and causing just enough of an issue that is noticable. if you alrdy have the other hub, and didnt mind replacing the first, throw it on there, nothing wrong with doing it before its needed. about babing the car, i drive the holy piss out of mine, all out race it at least every fri-sun. and dont have a single suspension issue (to date, knock on every piece of wood i see from no on). so unless the car was drifting which will destroy hubs and suspension components, hard driving shouldnt cause them to fail. something that has yet been asked, what kind of tires?

Thanks for the feedback.

I just dropped brand new tires on it about a month ago and I've only drive maybe 200 miles on it since the new tires....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....V&autoModClar=

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

You can also change the rear sway bar bushings with Energy Suspension for less than $20 and it makes a huge difference. There was a group of us that went together and had poly bushings made for the front as well. If you do a Google search you could probably find the threads.

I just pulled their catalog and there is no mention of parts for STS-V. Guess I'll drop them an email.

Thanks!

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Thats because they don't list it. I found one that was a 9.5161G or what ever color you want and a direct fit. Took about 20 minutes to change them.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-bushings.html

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBlood_STSV View Post
    I haven't heard of anyone having suspension issues on the stock suspension. I myself have gone through 3 wheel bearings/hubs. So maybe your Left is bad too? The car is a performance car...crummy, under-inflated tires will mess with it.
    When I went to have the new springs put on (D3) I found out that both my front shocks/struts were bad. One blown, the other leaking. Springs were the only thing holding the front end up, and I didn't even notice. I notice it NOW that they have been replaced, but suspension problems are not unheard of.

Bob

Just some more to this story ....

I took the car back to the place that did the tires&alignment asked them to do another alignment since I purchased their "lifetime alignment" plan.

Interestingly, the rear toe was out of spec. While I don't recall the exact numbers, it was interesting that it was out of spec pretty bad on the first visit and the toe has changed since that visit with only a couple hundred miles on the car, etc, etc, etc.

Alignment done at same shop to rule out changes in equipment etc.

I'll post the complete specs tonight if I don't forget.

Thanks!

----------

and this is kind of cool .....

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issu...ntentid=105750

ChurchSTSV is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX, 2007 STS-V
    I've also noticed that when I get on the gas when in a tight turn, it feels like the rear is skipping. Felt a lot like the wheel hop I got in the gto.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.