Heated steering wheel no workie
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Heated steering wheel no workie in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Just I had my car for alittle over a year and I love it. No problems but this one. The ...
    08stsv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): stsv

Heated steering wheel no workie

Just I had my car for alittle over a year and I love it. No problems but this one. The other day I went to use the heated wheel and the light won't come on and the wheel won't get hot. I'm guessing since its a caddy I will have to change my wheel. And one else have this problem? If so is there a easy fix.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Fierofiend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

Re: Heated steering wheel no workie

Having an 08 is a 'better' position to be in than the 06-07 guys that can't get a replacement. Do a search as this is very common failure. I'm wondering if we could swap the alcantara V2 wheels in our 08/09 cars?

fast_lane10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS - V

I think this is where we need Katie (from Cadillac service center) to chime in.

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED
    I have an 09and had my steering wheel replaced under my GMPP didn't catch it before the factory warranty expired

torched10 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

did you get the lane departure signal fixed too

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Fierofiend View Post
    Having an 08 is a 'better' position to be in than the 06-07 guys that can't get a replacement. Do a search as this is very common failure. I'm wondering if we could swap the alcantara V2 wheels in our 08/09 cars?
    Interesting. I wonder why an 08/09 wheel won't go into an 06/07. I wouldn't suspect it to be much different than the airbag, maybe the connector plugs, and extra buttons on the later wheels.

Maybe I'll have to find out one day if I lose the heated wheel in my 07.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post
    Interesting. I wonder why an 08/09 wheel won't go into an 06/07. I wouldn't suspect it to be much different than the airbag, maybe the connector plugs, and extra buttons on the later wheels.

Maybe I'll have to find out one day if I lose the heated wheel in my 07.
    I tried it. I still have the 08 wheel sitting in my closet where I threw it because I was so pissed that it wouldn't work. I know how the steering wheel controls work, so I figured at worst i'd have to custom-wire the new controls and maybe use a PAC translator unit to make them work with the stock system. It never even crossed my mind as even a remote possibility that GM, the king of parts-sharing, could have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COLUMN for the 08 model year. NOTHING is the same. You can mount the 08 wheel to the 06-07 column, but that's it. There are not enough wires in the harness for the 08 steering wheel controls, the heater wires are different, the airbag wires won't work, EVEN THE FLIPPIN HORN WON'T WORK!!!!. I couldn't believe it. The only way to get an 08 wheel in an 06-07 V is to swap the entire column...and even that would be insanely difficult (I looked into that too). In the 06-09 STS-V model range, there are FIVE different steering column part numbers. WTF?! I said "screw it, i'll just buy an 08 STS-V". Which turned into "screw that, i'll just buy a CTS-V2"...which turned into "screw all that, i'm buying a vette". Thus, I will be buying a vette sometime this year.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    I tried it. I still have the 08 wheel sitting in my closet where I threw it because I was so pissed that it wouldn't work. I know how the steering wheel controls work, so I figured at worst i'd have to custom-wire the new controls and maybe use a PAC translator unit to make them work with the stock system. It never even crossed my mind as even a remote possibility that GM, the king of parts-sharing, could have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COLUMN for the 08 model year. NOTHING is the same. You can mount the 08 wheel to the 06-07 column, but that's it. There are not enough wires in the harness for the 08 steering wheel controls, the heater wires are different, the airbag wires won't work, EVEN THE FLIPPIN HORN WON'T WORK!!!!. I couldn't believe it. The only way to get an 08 wheel in an 06-07 V is to swap the entire column...and even that would be insanely difficult (I looked into that too). In the 06-09 STS-V model range, there are FIVE different steering column part numbers. WTF?! I said "screw it, i'll just buy an 08 STS-V". Which turned into "screw that, i'll just buy a CTS-V2"...which turned into "screw all that, i'm buying a vette". Thus, I will be buying a vette sometime this year.
    Wow, that's surprising. No wonder GM has financial difficulties with all the inefficiency they have in place. For awhile it seemed they were saving money by using the same parts across all lines, something I wasn't fond of. I saw identical steering wheels, headlight and window control switches, etc. I wonder if it has something to do with the databus. I know GM used at least two different CAN bus specs across the GM line in later model vehicles. I miss the older Class II databus, that was easy to work with.

I wonder what kind of similar findings you'll have in a new Corvette.

08stsv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): stsv

a buddy of mine has a 07 is there a way to fix the 07 wheel? what does everyone think about the new xts I wonder if its coming out in V.

Fierofiend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

Raven, do you have any insight on the v2 wheel working in an 08?

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Fierofiend View Post
    Raven, do you have any insight on the v2 wheel working in an 08?
    What's the difference between the V2 wheel and an 08 wheel? I thought they were the same. You can actually buy the V2's "V" trim pieces and SWC's from the parts department and swap them right onto the stock 08 wheel (I helped Russell do that, in fact). That would be alot easier and cheaper than a $500+ V2 wheel.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

08stsv, I would certainly be happy to investigate further for you! Please send me an email with the last eight of your VIN, and I can begin checking my GM resources on your behalf.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Martyn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Any interest is selling the 08 wheel as it wont work for your application?

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Just got back from the auto show here in Chicago. Talked to an engineer on the floor (actually 2 of them) for a good 20 minutes. Brought up subject of limited availability of parts, specifically the steering wheel. They were shocked. Didn't think that it was optional for them to not find a new vendor. Both promised to bring it up at their next meeting. For what its worth, I did my best to convince them that this was a real issue with MANY folks on the forums. Also told them we need a replacement for the STS-V. Something bigger than a CTS-V. I was not the first to mention that. Told them my '06 was pushing 8 years this December, so I have been seriously looking at the M6 Gran Touring.

Speaking of the M6, NICE CAR. Lots of carbon fiber inside and out. Looks sweet. There is one here in Naperville, so I got dibs on the test drive tomorrow afternoon. Saleswoman said is has been on the showroom floor only a couple days, and they haven't had the guts to let anyone take it out. When I explained what I was looking for and what I already owned, she got it set up. She seemed as anxious to take it for a ride as I was. Let you know.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,09 escalade, 80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Ctsv don't have heated wheels at all. So that's out.

----------

That m6 gt is verry nice I transport cars for a living and drove one the other day. I would have that our a x5m if they were not 89-110 new. I had a v12 BMW be for the v and loved it should have just keep it. I also like the Audi a8 and love the s8 4800lbs and runs the 1/4 in 12.0@118 in a big 4door that's fast. But also 110+

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.