Electrical problems... yeah....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Electrical problems... yeah.... in Cadillac V-Series Forums; [ UPDATE : Reconnected battery after getting home from work and car is running OK for now. Ironically the only ...
    beyerch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Electrical problems... yeah....

[UPDATE : Reconnected battery after getting home from work and car is running OK for now. Ironically the only time I didn't have my Tech II in the car was today......... Also found that the air filter was not connect to the intake and was sucking in open air, but that's a different post, lol. ugh......

In regards to the issue at hand, since it is now working after the battery was disconnected, I see two possibilities here:
    a.) An intermittent switch issue triggers this event; however, something in the software gets confused and never recognizes that the switch is now functioning properly. Only when the battery is disconnect and the computers 'forget' does this then work again.
    b.) Something in the microswitch / shifter assembly physically is tweaked until power is dropped it doesn't reset. Easy enough to verify if I can get the car to do it again and have access to the center console. If this is the case, a simple momentary depression switch inline with the connector could be put in place as a 'reset' of sorts.

]

I'm pretty sure this is going to turn out to be an electrical problem, but I'd love any input on this. I was driving around my 06 today (30-35 MPH) and all of a sudden the check engine light came on and the doors unlocked at the same time. A few seconds later, I noticed that the transmission would not shift out of the current gear (which was a problem as I was on a ramp to an expressway?!!?) and it ran all the way up to 5,000 RPM before I gave up and got off the next exit.

I pulled into a parking lot and check the basic stuff on the DIC such as transmission fluid temp, etc. Temps all seemed normal, etc. Then I put the car in park and turned it off. The car was dinging non-stop and the message 'Put car in Park' continually flashed on the DIC. I have to note, this is a horrible design since it will just drain the battery.... I started the car back up and I limped it back home...

I hooked up my trusty Tech II and pulled a plethora of codes. If there is a common link to any of these, I'd love to hear about it:

ECM & TCM
    -------
    P0700 - TCM MIL --> [I assume this is why the trans locked in gear]
    P0106 - MAP Sensor Performance

RCDLR
    -----
    B3121 Antenna 3 Performance Short to Open
    B1440 Power Mode Master Mismatch Signal Invalid
    U2162 Lost Comm w/ Integration Panel Integration Module

HVAC
    ------
    U2103 - Fewer Controllers on Bus than Programmed

IPC
    ----
    U2172 - Lost Comm w/ digital radio receiver

Radio
    ------
    U2103 - Fewer Controllers on bus than programmed

Nav
    ----
    U2103 - Fewer Controllers on bus than programmed

Driver's Seat
    -----
    B1860 - Lumbar Signal Invalid
    B1850 - Lumbar Signal Invalid

From my quick googling, it seems the RCDLR is somehow associated to the 'Put Gear in Park' business and since I'm seeing multiple DTCs from that device, that may explain that one. (though none of the DTCs seem to refer to the park mechanism??)

The ECM code is a mystery as that code alone doesn't seem to indicate much of anything.

The driver's seat codes, meh.....

The other codes indicate some type of bus communication problems?

Anyone ever see something like this? Any input appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: Electrical problems... yeah....

Sounds like the Neutral Safety Switch that GM calls a Transmission Position Switch/Sensor. Same thing happened to me but I was luck to only be backing out of my garage.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...k-morning.html

PGA2B,

Yeah I saw some of that earlier this morning while googling, but that thread was much more insightful as it had a couple people who also experienced the locking in 3rd gear issue that I did as well and the P0700.

Car is currently sitting in my garage with the battery unplugged so I guess we'll see if it's still doing it after I plug the battery back in. Guessing I'll order up the shifter now even if it is "working" just so I have it. (Guess I'll also keep the battery wrench in the car in case this happens while traveling......)

P.S. I emailed/PM'd you on him a while back, did you get that?

Thanks!

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

i had the put in Park message a month ago and they had to replace the top end of the shfiftre unit,under warranty, or it would have been 700 bucks.But my car would drive it just wouldnt let me turn it off

I'm guessing they replaced item #34 on this diagram?

http://www.trademotion.com/media/ima.../B/BC05400.gif

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Quote Originally Posted by beyerch View Post
    P.S. I emailed/PM'd you on him a while back, did you get that?
    Sorry, but no. Use the email function as I have not had PM's since I stopped being a vendor here.

Just in case anyone needs it part number is : 19179513

A better parts diagram (view it at full size)
    http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/sho...ssembly=847327

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.