Erratic gas gauge
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Erratic gas gauge in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So far, my 07 has been everything i wanted it to be. It has been literally perfect for a car ...
    ChurchSTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX, 2007 STS-V

Erratic gas gauge

So far, my 07 has been everything i wanted it to be. It has been literally perfect for a car with 63k miles on it. I did get a warranty for it so i can take it in for a few things. For one, my driver seat lumbar doesnt work. No biggie.

One thing i did notice is the crazy gas needle. One moment it is at half tank, then at a quearter then at 3/4 tank. It moves around so quick you can see it if you watch closely. Is this normal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Re: Erratic gas gauge

Mine moves a lot too. Not that fast, but it will swing from half to quarter sometimes.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Mine's pretty stable. Just goes down fast because of the poor MPH. It does seem to go down faster after going past half, but I've seen that on other cars.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

I wonder how the car was treated before you purchased it as far as fuel storage.

I gave my ex-gf the advice once about not running her tank dry because the fuel in the tank also helps cool the pump. She drives it around on empty all the time, putting 3-5 gallons a time in it, essentially running it empty all the time.

Now she hasn't lost the fuel pump but she does have problems with the fuel gauge being erratic, but worse than what you're experiencing. She on rare occasion fills the tank and watches the needle go between full and empty contantly while driving. Personally I think she had developed rust/corrosion on the fuel level sensor and now experiences inconsistent resistance readings from the float assembly now.

I've never experienced this with a vehicle because I fill them at 1/3 of a tank and fill them often. I believe it's from keeping the fuel level sender/sensor constantly covered in fuel and protected from the moisture in the tank.

Well the going down part I understand, but it goes back up too. Noticeably. Like it will start with a quarter tank and after 10 minutes will be up to full. I got a full tank tonight to see what my actual moles per tank are.

Berger 93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V

It is the fuel sloshing back and forth over the center hump for the drive shaft . . . I believe there was a TSB about it.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    I had that happen on a Chevy I had and it was a bad fuel level sending unit in the tank.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ChurchSTSV View Post
    Well the going down part I understand, but it goes back up too. Noticeably. Like it will start with a quarter tank and after 10 minutes will be up to full. I got a full tank tonight to see what my actual moles per tank are.
    Thank you for clarifying, ChurchSTSV! If you would like me to check my resources for any relevant information on your gas needle, please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with the last eight of your VIN.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Thank you for clarifying, ChurchSTSV! If you would like me to check my resources for any relevant information on your gas needle, please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with the last eight of your VIN.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    Email sent.

fhutchin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mine also drops from 1/2 to 1/4 pretty fast. But after that its stable. And it never seems to go up, only down. I dol have a 2000 DeVille with an erratic gauge. It eventually failed outright and just swings all over the place now.

Well it looks like it finally went out. Car reads empty all the time but the fuel light doesn't come on. Time for a visit to Coulter!

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Quote Originally Posted by ChurchSTSV View Post
    Well it looks like it finally went out. Car reads empty all the time but the fuel light doesn't come on. Time for a visit to Coulter!
    Its a bit more of a drive but I would suggest Kachina in Scottsdale and ask for Dan Boardman. They service more V's than anyone else in the Valley for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Its a bit more of a drive but I would suggest Kachina in Scottsdale and ask for Dan Boardman. They service more V's than anyone else in the Valley for a reason.
    Well i got to drop it off after hours. And Scottsdale is a far drive after work.

UPDATE:

So i havent been able to take the car in yet because i am stupid. I have noticed that when i make turns the gauge goes all the to 1/2 tank and then floats back down to empty during braking or hitting the gas. Thing is, i know it has a 1/2 tank in it. Is this the fuel sliding over the sump?

UPDATE: dealer called. Both of my fuel sending units were registering a "short". So I hope that's fixed. I'll post details if I can get them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.