Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Erratic gas gauge

5K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
So far, my 07 has been everything i wanted it to be. It has been literally perfect for a car with 63k miles on it. I did get a warranty for it so i can take it in for a few things. For one, my driver seat lumbar doesnt work. No biggie.

One thing i did notice is the crazy gas needle. One moment it is at half tank, then at a quearter then at 3/4 tank. It moves around so quick you can see it if you watch closely. Is this normal?

#4 ·
I wonder how the car was treated before you purchased it as far as fuel storage.

I gave my ex-gf the advice once about not running her tank dry because the fuel in the tank also helps cool the pump. She drives it around on empty all the time, putting 3-5 gallons a time in it, essentially running it empty all the time.

Now she hasn't lost the fuel pump but she does have problems with the fuel gauge being erratic, but worse than what you're experiencing. She on rare occasion fills the tank and watches the needle go between full and empty contantly while driving. Personally I think she had developed rust/corrosion on the fuel level sensor and now experiences inconsistent resistance readings from the float assembly now.

I've never experienced this with a vehicle because I fill them at 1/3 of a tank and fill them often. I believe it's from keeping the fuel level sender/sensor constantly covered in fuel and protected from the moisture in the tank.

#12 ·
Its a bit more of a drive but I would suggest Kachina in Scottsdale and ask for Dan Boardman. They service more V's than anyone else in the Valley for a reason.:thumbsup:

#14 ·
UPDATE:

So i havent been able to take the car in yet because i am stupid. I have noticed that when i make turns the gauge goes all the to 1/2 tank and then floats back down to empty during braking or hitting the gas. Thing is, i know it has a 1/2 tank in it. Is this the fuel sliding over the sump?

#19 ·
Hello ChurchSTSV,

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated. I am glad to hear that the dealership was able to find the cause of the problem. Please be sure to keep us updated when you get your vehicle back and if you still experience the concern. You can also reach out to us via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line if you would like to further discuss this concern.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#20 ·
This was the problem:

C/S GAS GAUGE IS ERRATIC AND SHOWS EMPTY EVEN AFTER PUTTING FUEL IN SYSTEM. CHECK ADVISE..

CAUSE: FOUND SHORTENED OUT FUEL SENDER UNITS TO FUEL TANK SYSTEM GIVING ERRATIC READINGS OR FALSE READINGS
940 CEXT 5.00 $532.40
1 88965813 (S) SENDER KIT $479.20
1 19302456 B-(S)MODULE KIT $967.90

PARTS: 1447.10 LABOR: 532.40 TOTAL: 1979.50

I have a warranty. Costs me $100. I got 99 problems but customer pay ain't one.

#28 ·
Hello ChurchSTSV,

I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with a sound in the rear of your vehicle after getting the gas gauge issue resolved. I do see that they provided you with an ATS as a loaner. Please keep us updated on the result of the dealership looking further into that noise. Please feel free to private message me if you would like us to contact the dealership as well.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.