Engine Hot - AC off . . no temp guage . . rad fans on high - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Engine Hot - AC off . . no temp guage . . rad fans on high in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by Berger 93 Well yesterday while doing some Christmas shopping with the wife the DIC popped up the ...
    Scotty454 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Black Raven STS-V

Re: Engine Hot - AC off . . no temp guage . . rad fans on high

Quote Originally Posted by Berger 93 View Post
    Well yesterday while doing some Christmas shopping with the wife the DIC popped up the message . .
    The temperature gauge in the cluster would not move, and the radiator fans are running on high.
    Made three - four stops and it came up every time after a few mins of driving.
    Was not hot . . the engine oil was around 163 degrees . .
    I still am on GMPP warranty . . concerned that without a SES code it will be like chasing a ghost.
    This just happened to me about three weeks ago. Exactly as you described and just when it started to get cold around here. I reset it the first two times with my scan tool, but would come back in a day or two. My car is still under GMPP, but I went ahead and replaced the t-stat last week. Its not a hard job at all...less trouble than going to the dealer. It fixed the problem and its not been back since.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    Its not a hard job at all...less trouble than going to the dealer. It fixed the problem and its not been back since.
    Did you keep the hose on like I said to? It really is easy. That is as long as you don't drop one of the bolts like I did. It was a perfect time to put in my 160* Stat.

Scotty454 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Black Raven STS-V

I did take the smaller hose off but left the other one on. That way I could pull the housing up, and out of the way. The smaller hose came off really easy. If it had been stuck on there, I probably would have left it on.

GoFish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V; 2000 STS

My 2008 has done this intermittently for a year or so, mostly in colder weather just as written here by others. Local dealer (live in Denver) replaced sending unit a few months ago, did not fix. Happened again yesterday and took it in this morning and they are getting TS code and replacing it today. My question is if computer is kicking this up because engine is not in expected heat range, how does it happen on cold startup? And how does it happen after I've parked and it's sat for an hour. It's up immediately upon startup. Oil temp stays fine, fans are running, I'm not seeing overheat issues, just curious how the code is there on cold startup. Reading through forum posts that's what I don't understand.

Hopefully replacing TS is the cure, problem is a nuisance and had me in a panic first time it happened.

neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, stock. Blacked-Out 2007 CTS 3.6 "Odd One"

I'm about to dive into this one - notice came on while I was driving to band practice. Came up again and then reset itself, I guess. I'll pick up the 160* t-stat this week and knock it out.

KingOfLacs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, Stepside Chevy, 1966 Chevelle

After months of dealing with this and keeping a scan tool with me I replaced to 160 mr gasket t-stat. Been off ever since thanks cadillac forums your the sh**. I replaced with the stock t-stat the first time and p0128 kept coming back so yes Mr Gasket os the way to go.

mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Did you keep the hose on like I said to? It really is easy. That is as long as you don't drop one of the bolts like I did. It was a perfect time to put in my 160* Stat.
    Lol, That was the worst part of the job when I did mine! I dropped one of the bolts. I was so mad lol, it took me a while to find the darn bolt!

2zs1v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Sts v

I had this same thing occur on my wife's V three times.

The first time it cleared itself up after a day. The next 2 times I cleared the code with a scanner and it went back to normal. So I'm not sure it's the thermostat at fault?

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Yep it's the tstat. It'll be intermittent. You might not see it for months. But it'll be back. It's like herpes.

mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Yep it's the tstat. It'll be intermittent. You might not see it for months. But it'll be back. It's like herpes.
    LOL That is Funny

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Hahha yeah thanks. Except this herpes has a cure. Replace the tstat.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.