Engine Hot - AC off . . no temp guage . . rad fans on high - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Engine Hot - AC off . . no temp guage . . rad fans on high in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by boomys10 the only thing you are tuning off is the comps ability to guess where the temp ...
    BMBSALES is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 10 CTS-V, 13 ESCALADE, 06 C6, YAM R1

Re: Engine Hot - AC off . . no temp guage . . rad fans on high

Quote Originally Posted by boomys10 View Post
    the only thing you are tuning off is the comps ability to guess where the temp should be. everything still works completely as normal, the comp just gets left out of the equation. the reason you get that dic warning is bc the temp of the coolant isnt where its thought to be. its been documented on here from several people. just turn it off and the car will never have that issue again. the gauge still works, no reason for the stupid warning imo
    Really...i thought when you set it to not report like that, if that condition were to ever arise, whether it's a guage error, OR an actual high temp, it's going to do exactly that, not report, not turn on fans, not turn off ac, etc. that's my understanding anyway...

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by BMBSALES View Post
    Really...i thought when you set it to not report like that, if that condition were to ever arise, whether it's a guage error, OR an actual high temp, it's going to do exactly that, not report, not turn on fans, not turn off ac, etc. that's my understanding anyway...
    What you say makes sense to me, but I don't know the workings of the computer and how the algorithm's are written. i can tell you from experience that the tstat can fail open OR closed on the car. I'm on my third thermostat. First one failed open, giving me the nonsense on the DIC about "engine hot, a/c off"

Two weeks ago it failed closed and I started to overheat. And for some dumbass reason the DIC doesn't let you know about an overheat when it's actually overheating. The temp gauge rises and I scrolled over to my oil temps to confirm. I wish someone could tell me why alarm bells sound off when the coolant takes too long to rise to operating temp, but NOTHING when the coolant is too hot?!?!?!

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    That would definitely not make sense. Is it possible that yours just did not get hot enough to trigger?

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

that warning as outlined in a previous thread doesnt actually monitor the temp of the coolant as you would think. it makes sure the coolant is within the correct range for the correct time driving and all that. thats what i said before. the warning in the DIC shouldnt be taken very seriously.

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    That would definitely not make sense. Is it possible that yours just did not get hot enough to trigger?
    It got about 80% of the way up the gauge. I didn't have the OBD-II bluetooth thingy hooked up so I don't know an exact temperature but it was hot and it got my oil to rise from 182-218....It never boiled though....

Boomys: I wasn't relying on the DIC, I just found it odd that it's so fast to declare something wrong when the tstat fails "safely" but apparently you need to get very hot before it displays a message about failing closed.

I have a feeling the overheating did damage to my head gasket...It's back in the shop today after serious misfires under cold conditions.

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

no good about head gasket, and never said you did rely on it, just stating that the emphasis put on that display AND the messages needs to be taken much more lightly. its more an annoyence than anything else.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

The DIC will warn of high temps. I had something puncture my radiator and the DIC dinged and said AC off, high engine temp or whatever.

Where are the temp sending units on these lsx's anyway?

brbevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V

This just happened to me last Wednesday. Purchased a new thermostat and gasket and completed the job in about 2.0 hours. Taking my time checking out other components eating lunch etc. Perfect fix! Thanks for the feedback guys!

Fierofiend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by BMBSALES View Post
    Where are the temp sending units on these lsx's anyway?
    Can't tell if serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Fierofiend View Post
    Can't tell if serious?
    If serious, the sender is on the back of one of the heads.

pwrsix is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My car is doing this. I've only owned it a week. I'm not very excited about it.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

pwrsix,
    Welcome to the forum! We're sorry that you're having troubles with your STS-V. Are you planning on getting this checked into with your dealership at all? If so, we're available to work with you and your dealership on this. Let us know!
    Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC

If serious, the sender is on the back of one of the heads.
    Lol. Yes I was, but I see it now. Drivers side front of head, just above exhaust man. I bought a Spare temp sending unit from advance, for $11 just in case.

bmb

I thought you meant the Northstar. Those are on the back of one of the heads. The LSx motors have it in a much more accessible place on the head near the exhaust manifold where you found it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.