Newbie lurker going to look tomorrow.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Newbie lurker going to look tomorrow. in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I found a clean 2006 with 80k on it that I can pick up for $19900. Is it a bad ...
    Rtt_Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none now

Newbie lurker going to look tomorrow.

I found a clean 2006 with 80k on it that I can pick up for $19900. Is it a bad idea to buy this car with so many miles? I am coming from a Lexus that has been a great car it's just boring. I can do a lot of things myself to a car. I also called a Cadillac dealer to see what they did to the car while under warrany and there has been a lot done including rear end, wheel bearings, new nav unit, new radiator, etc... I don't know if that is a good thing or not. The dealer that has it is stepping up pretty good on my trade. What are some major things I should look at while looking at the car? Or should I just stay away all together? I plan on keeping the car for a few years as a Daily driver. I just sold my vette and I am looking to make 2 cars into one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

Re: Newbie lurker going to look tomorrow.

sounds like its been well maintained--would they step up and give you a warranty for say a year?? As a daily driver the MPG may kill you--if its highway miles youll get over 20, local maybe 14, thats what i get But ite s a great car and has the looks of a new car.See if theyll give you a current nav dvd. Others will give you things to looks for im sure, but wheel bearings are one of them

Thanks for the reply.

Keep in mind all the things I listed were replaced under warranty and when the car had under 50k. Now the car has around 80k. I was unable to get info about what has been done recently.

BlownV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Sounds a lot like my car....I have had quite a few things replaced on it including the Nav and radiator. Add onto that motor mounts, diff mount (twice), valve actuator seals, t-stat...probably a few things I am forgetting too. Most of that was under warranty but my recommendation would be that if you like the car then invest in an aftermarket warranty for it for a couple years. Will most likely be worth it with just one big fix. For me, just replacing the radiator ($1200) almost covered the cost of the warranty.

Rockten is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If it was under warranty couldn't you check what have been done?

I did. That was all replaced under GM pre-owned warrany I just found out. It also looks like a manifold and converter was replaced.

ChurchSTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX, 2007 STS-V

Welcome!

I bought mine last weekend and the dealer gave me a 3 yr/36k bumper to bumber warranty.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Rtt_Mike, please feel free to let me know if you would like me to research any concerns further for you while you car shop. I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and I'd be happy to provide a build code listing for you if you send the last eight of the Cadillac's VIN.

Welcome to the forum!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

I took a chance on one last week, an 07 with 80K miles for $21.4K. It's clean and runs great so I had no worries about taking a gamble on it. American cars nowadays seem to have pretty good drivetrain build and reliability.

Most of my purchases have been higher mile GMs, I don't think I've been burned yet. Other than getting the maintenance history from GM there really isn't much to check on a modern car that I can think of.

I do have one problem with mine but it is due to aftermarket electronics installation by the previous owner, nothing that is GM's fault.

parkeraire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06' sts-v

Quote Originally Posted by BlownV View Post
    Sounds a lot like my car....I have had quite a few things replaced on it including the Nav and radiator. Add onto that motor mounts, diff mount (twice), valve actuator seals, t-stat...probably a few things I am forgetting too. Most of that was under warranty but my recommendation would be that if you like the car then invest in an aftermarket warranty for it for a couple years. Will most likely be worth it with just one big fix. For me, just replacing the radiator ($1200) almost covered the cost of the warranty.

Who did you use for an aftermarket warranty?

I went and looked at the car. Was told only the bumper had been painted. The whole right side was painted. But had a clean carfax. Fired it up and get the message "service airbag". They scanned it and it says something about the car not comunicating with the airbag sensor. However they did offer to lift the car up. It was 100% dry including the diff. No nav disc. chipped windshield. The car did drive good though. They offered me another $1000 on trade to take the car the way it is. I was just worried about the Airbag light and very curious about all the paint work. I had even had a check ready to go.

Is this a GM or franchise dealer selling the vehicle? I didn't think they could sell a vehicle with an air bag light on, that's a safety issue of the air bag won't deploy in an accident.

I get a little leery when I start finding problems with the vehicle beyond what the dealer tells me on the phone, especially if it's not a franchise or brand name dealership. It's not one of those wholesale lots on the corner is it? A lot of times the dealers dump vehicles they won't stake their reputation on to these lots.

The car is for sale at a lot in Illinois. Keep in mind that Illinois is like the wild west of the car business still. They can sell anything and not need to disclose a thing to the buyer. It was a corner lot. But they had Bentlys, Mercedes, Newer vettes, Vipers, etc......I thought I would be in good shape using this non franchised dealer. These STS-v's are not the easiest cars to find. I was just happy t see that two of them were within 75 miles of me.

Yeah, they're rare cars but keep looking and eventually you'll find a good one. I was lucky to stumble onto mine without really trying. Usually when I purchase a specific vehicle I spend months looking for one and a lot of time test driving disappointments. When searching for my Escalade I spent about 5 months or so looking for the specific one I wanted. They aren't even rare vehicles but to find the specific 05, in the right condition with the right miles and price was the challenge. My last Corvette was a similar hunt with a lot of disappointments over about 7 months before I found the one I eventually brought home. It was a lot of weekends spent driving all over the So.Cal area in heavy traffic but worth it in the end. Ten years later and she hasn't disappointed me yet.

My winter beater came from one of these wholesale lots where you have to come in with cash to purchase one. I looked at many 300Ms and Auroras, before I found my 98. It was a cheap $3000 car but has served me well for two years now making many 100 mile round trip commutes to work during the snow/salt season here in VA.

So take your time, the right one will eventually pop up for you. Keep your eye on eBay as well. Occasionally a Cadillac/GM dealer will put one up there for a broader audience.

fast_lane10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS - V

Where in Illinois did you see that car. In Chicago there are some used luxury car retailers who dress up the cars very well and fall in the same category. I checked cars at two of the medium sized lots and didn't like the way they do business and ended up buying from a Cadillac dealer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.