Less than a week of ownership, first quirk found - power drain.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Less than a week of ownership, first quirk found - power drain. in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Well, every single used car I've purchased (along with a previous new one) seems to have one quirk to it ...
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Less than a week of ownership, first quirk found - power drain.

Well, every single used car I've purchased (along with a previous new one) seems to have one quirk to it that I discover in the first week of ownership.

Came out after 24 hours of sitting to a dead battery this morning. I'm suspecting aftermarket equipment in this case keeping the car's body computer alive. I noticed the other night a couple of blue LEDs coming from the back seat area and discovered that I have DVD players built into each front seat headrest that are always powered. It was a very clean install and looks like it came from the factory, I'm impressed in that regard but I'm going to have to do something about the battery draining.

So, anyone else run across a problem like this? I know newer vehicles aren't too electrically mod friendly with no keyed 12v source. I also found an iPod adapter that I pulled this morning before heading out to work but the blue LEDs are still lit in the back and I did come out to a weak battery after 9 hours sitting. I even swapped the battery this morning with a new Optima red-top group 78 after a little cutting of the battery cover (it fits) so I know it's not a battery issue.

I couldn't find any power taps in the rear fues boxes or wire running under the carpet so I'm hoping that they didn't hide the installation too well. Hopefully I'll be able to find the source of power for the DVD players under the front seats or maybe rear HVAC controls.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: Less than a week of ownership, first quirk found - power drain.

Track down the key on source they used and change it to an actual key on source. Sounds like they tapped a constant wire.

This is frustrating.

I spent the last hour pulling every single fuse out of the underhood and two under seat fuse boxes and the aftermarket DVD players still stayed powered on. Is there another fuse box I may have missed or possibly a fused wire that doesn't run through the fuse box?

I simply can't believe that after pulling every single fuse, and I mean every single fuse that the DVD players stayed on.

So for now it sits in my driveway hooked up to a battery charger as I don't want to be stranded 50 miles away at work. I guess this weekend I'll be pulling one or both the front seats to see where the power wire is for those damn DVD players. I'm almost too the point of pulling the head rests and clipping the power wires that have to be running through the posts, permanently disabling the headrest players. UGH!!!

Hard to say what they used but it is obviously a constant wire. Find the wires under the carpet and follow them to figure out where they go and what they tapped.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

i know in my 65gto the lights arent fused wonder if its still true also my elctrican buddy tracaes wires by inroducing a high frequency dc voltage that causes the wire to buzz --if you have an electrician buddy maybe he could trace it for you so you dont have to pull everything out.You could just dicsonnect the wires and put a connector or switch there to turn on when you have someone in thje back seat too---good luck

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

what torched said about installing a switch is a good bet honesetly. if you cant find the fused wire, id also check the power outlet in the rear center console, then install a switch on the screens and ground it. wouldnt take but 5min and you could still use them if you wanted of just turn them off otherwise. no more power drain.

Learning a little more I think about the problem.

It appears that the previous owner installed a system not compatible with my year. From what I can gather it is listed as a Vizualogic A-1260CL replacement headrest kit with control box listed on Vizualogic's site only for 2008 - 2010 Cadillac STS, not the 2007 I own. I'm wondering how the installer made it work if they tapped into the CAN bus harness or just tapped a power wire somewhere.

Now I need to find the DVD headrest control box as I'm not having any luck looking under the seats for a wire set that looks different than any of the others, or anything that appears to go through the carpet under the seat. I think I'm going to just have to break down and pull the seats and console this weekend. I honestly don't see anyway around it at this point as trying to look inside the rear of the console and along the floor, under the seats isn't showing me anything obvious.

Does anyone know if the seats in the STS are zippered for the covers? I'm kind of wondering if the control box might be inside one of the seats.

Is the center console hard to pull?

I have the Helm set of manuals for every car I own except for the STS as I've only had it a week and haven't been able to find a set yet.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

There are 8 bolts that hold the center console on. Four on each side. They are in pairs at the front and rear of the console and they screw into the trans tunnel. Pull the carpet back and you will see them.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Wake, I see you're in the middle of DIY repairs, so I just wanted to hop on quickly to let you know I'm available if you would ever like me to check my more technical resources for any helpful information. Email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with the last of your VIN, and I'm happy to investigate!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

I think I've got it!

Had to tear apart the rear seat backs (thank goodness they just snap in place) to find the harness. It appears that the control box is burried inside the center console so I left it there but I was able to trace the wires after seeing what they looked like in the seatback. Whoever did the install did an excellent job asthetically, running the wires taped together just like the factory did, ran it along the mounting points and under the carpet.

I followed the wires to the front and took the glovebox out and found a wiretap off the module right above it on a fuse, again they hid the install pretty well as it was running through the wireloom. Found a fuse and pulled it but still had power to the headrests. Traced that wire over to the driver's side and pulled the bottom hush panel.

Traced that to the driver's side and out the firewall through the gromet, around the back of the engine and finally to the battery positive terminal, again where they did such a good job asthetically that it looked like part of the stock setup. Then I dug a little deeper and found another fuse holder below the battery. Pulled that one and no more power to the headrests.

I'm hoping I got it all. If not, I guess I'll be tearing apart the center console tomorrow morning.

Whoever did the install gets an, "A" for asthetics but an, "F" for electrical.

I wish I could talk to the installer, I have a simple one word question for them. "REALLY?"

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Good Luck. If the wire on the battery was Yellow it should have been a constant wire and there should also have been a Red wire for switched power.

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Good Luck. If the wire on the battery was Yellow it should have been a constant wire and there should also have been a Red wire for switched power.
    Yeah, that was it. Luckily they didn't butcher the electrical to install these.

3 days now driving it without a problem or having to hook it back up to the charger.

KingOfLacs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, Stepside Chevy, 1966 Chevelle

Wake if you want to swap the head rests for stocks Ill take the problem off your hands

Thanks for the offer. I'll likely keep them though and re-wire the system for use later. I don't have children, but occasionally will have children in the car which would require some form of entertainment. I'm planning on putting a lighted rocker switch in to cut the battery constant power supply to prevent the problem.

Like I mentioned, it was a clean installation and would be quite painful to uninstall cleanly as well. They ran the electrical through the factory paths, snaking it through the console and under the dash. Without butchering (cutting up) the DVD system wiring it would take quite a lot to uninstall it.

Thorn11acr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Greetings to all of you:

As yet I am still looking for my low mileage, showroom condition STS-V. I researched for days to finally come up with a car I can live with... I already have a 05 Ford Super Duty diesel with 650 RWHP, that gets 20+ MPG and will beat a Corvette in the 1/8 mile. My regular car is a '04 Lincoln Town Car, reliable, always starts, get 23 mpg and would probably last forever...Forever of sheer boredom GREAT CAR, for anyone but an Old Adrenelian Junkie. I also even have an 80 mph Bass Boat.

I had to sell my beloved 05 Triumph Rocket III, 170hp motorcycle due to the VA blowing out a disc in my back during a routing steroid injection...the settlement is where the $$$ is coming from for my STS-V. I want to tour the US while I still can and have owned around 150 vehicles and won't drive (for long) boring vehicles with the power of a snail.

I would like anyones imput on the merits of the STS V. The CTS-V is a bit too small and it only comes in a stick transmission. I saw a Street Race between an STS-V and a SRT-8 Charger. Had the Cadillac been just a little more experienced out of the gates the 1/2 fender win might have been different. The SRT-8 is a beast but only gets around 10-12 mpg and is noisy and uncomfortable....the STS V gives me a car with a sedate look, comfort and easy on the wallet.

Any information from ya'll on the STS V would be appreciated. All I really know about the car is I QWANT ONE, but they seem pretty rare.

Thanks

TOM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.