N* 4.4L SC Doubts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, N* 4.4L SC Doubts in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So i am getting lalot of flack from my GTO buddies about exchanging an LS1 and a SC 4.4L N*. ...
    ChurchSTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX, 2007 STS-V

N* 4.4L SC Doubts

So i am getting lalot of flack from my GTO buddies about exchanging an LS1 and a SC 4.4L N*. I know it doesnt have the same problems as the 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 N*'s but are they really problem free? The LS1 i have now has 65K miles on it and still runs strong. Is the STS-V really a car with the "Don;t buy after 50k miles" half life? And yes, i have used the search function and really couldn't fuind exactly what i am looking for. Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: N* 4.4L SC Doubts

just like any car, shit happens. i can tell you ive driven the dog shit out of mineforthe past 20k and not an issue (excluding caused by myself..) just make sure you can pay if something does happen, cheap doesnt go with a caddy.. and NO for the most part you WILL NOT be doing the work yourself, unless your a very adapt mechanic, and even then iffy. i love mine, just know that an ls base will have the potential to always be faster, but i bet they all want to ride with you everywhere, no comparsion comfort wise, ive owned both..

Oh yeah the LSx is an amazing platform to work with. I have done everything with this stupid GTO. It has a build/stalled auto and has been lowered on Pedders. I was about to go with H/C route, but just wanted to get out of the car. Nothing wrong with it, jusy dont want it. Not to mention the parts are retardedly expensive.

if you think those are expensive, think about buying this car first.. as stated, the ls is a VERY mass produced car with MANY options as far as parts go. the N* is a VERY RARE engine with hardly no parts for it. really the world of modding is just getting started,but be glad you picking one up now, with us just geting started and me having just about every tuning issue you could imagine with mine, there is some good knowledge here on it now. lol

Well i am about done with a car that costs $300 to replace a door lock actuator. Thats PER WINDOW. Most parts from this car have to be shipped from Aussie land and the wiring is a nightmare. It was a good car, but is showing its age terribly.

i hear ya. youll have the normal shit happen with these, but many ppl are driving with 100k on them and no major issues. id say get it, i like it more than my gto, and its much rarer so you wont see anywhere near as many of them.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

Drivetrain problems are pretty rare on these. I turboed mine to 573/621 at the wheels and had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    Drivetrain problems are pretty rare on these. I turboed mine to 573/621 at the wheels and had no issues.
    Thanks you! All i am getting is this "Get a Northstar and you will regret it" and "stay away from that engine."

I think the stigma of earlier N*s are being carried over.

people are uneducated on it but wanna be a pro..

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ChurchSTSV
    So i am getting lalot of flack from my GTO buddies about exchanging an LS1 and a SC 4.4L N*. I know it doesnt have the same problems as the 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 N*'s but are they really problem free? The LS1 i have now has 65K miles on it and still runs strong. Is the STS-V really a car with the "Don;t buy after 50k miles" half life? And yes, i have used the search function and really couldn't fuind exactly what i am looking for. Thanks for your help!
    There is no such thing as a 4.1, 4.5 or 4.9 Northstar. The headgasket problem went away for the most part in the early 2000's. The 4.4 is a good hand built motor that can and has taken a lot of pounding. Keep the coolant changed every 4 years, and keep your foot in it. Northstars of any year hate to be babied. Babying them can cause the rings to stick and make them use oil. The 4.4 is different enough from the 4.6 that GM considers it a clean sheet design.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I have been making 20psi for 2 years now and it still uses no oil. And I drive verry hard all the time. And race any time I can. I drive side ways more than straight lol. I have a 11.7 corvette and had a 520/540 hp/Tq z28 and this car IS more fun. People look a you funny when you drift a caddy. Your just and a** in a z28 if you do it. I have 86,000 on mine now got it with 62,000
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfQ8h...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwVar...e_gdata_player
    This I how I drive this car all the time.

dl72 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I owned a GTO and I like the STS-V so much more. It has just about everything you can ask for.

KingOfLacs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, Stepside Chevy, 1966 Chevelle

STS-V has been reliable and I have 101K on mine today great car not a lot of mods but power sure is there if you need it. Hand built N* need we say more.

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

I did the same research you're doing now and ended up getting a V. I still haven't heard of any engine problems. The 6L80 transmission is quite durable. If you keep wheel hop in check, the rear end seems to hold up.

Everyone who I've taken for a ride, drools over the interior (I make 'em clean up after themselves). BTW I am a fan of the quirky GTO interior. Backseat legroom isn't what I'd expect - but I always drive so that's someone else's problem.

For me, the limited aftermarket is a blessing and a curse. I wish there were more options, but at the same time I don't make 'mod lists' (I do but it's very short).

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

The engine is not an issue in this car. In fact, the only driveline issue at all is the rear. I wouldn't buy an STS-V with more than 50k on the clock, but that has nothing to do with the motor. I'd trust this motor well into the 100k mile range.

That said, the LS is still a better motor. Just one of the many places where the "stone age" LS has proven itself a better motor than a "cutting edge" DOHC motor. That fact alone does not make the LC3 anything less than a great motor, it just means that GM really hit a grand slam with the Gen III SBC.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.