N* 4.4L SC Doubts - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, N* 4.4L SC Doubts in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I decided at the moment not to sell it. I was going to buy a 2010 BMW x5 m but ...
    1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Re: N* 4.4L SC Doubts

I decided at the moment not to sell it. I was going to buy a 2010 BMW x5 m but that fell though at the last minute. Turns out it was a lemon law buy back car. And im not paying 60k for a lemon. And no other cars for under 60k interest me. I drove a v-2 wagon and 4 sedans auto&m6 and don't like any of them. They are very cheep wagon was a 11 with 7k on it and had loose trim and a out of place tail light. Plus they are small and slower than my car stock and get worce fuel mileage. So till another blue BMW for under 60 shows up I'm keeping my car. And yes I'm getting the blower fixed.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    My Intake, 2.4 pulley, 85mm throttle body, and tune netted me 82rwhp and 40rwtq. 372/398 stock to 454/438 after. There is a thread on that here. Those are the proven gains so far.
    No charge cooling mods?

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    No charge cooling mods?
    Not really. I have a a nice heat exchanger but no stocker so it evens out pretty much.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

No charge cooling mods?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    I think adding nitrous or alky into the mix will provide better results than intercooler upgrades. Of course, you have to be tuned for both.
    Alky and nitrous are options but require refilling.
    Cooling didn't necessarily get me more power but kept the PCM from pulling timing at the top end when the heated SC air exceeded 122*. I like my meth system because it can be tuned for gas mileage, cooling, or power which makes it quite versatile. And even running it for mileage, I only burn a gallon of 50/50 water meth per tank - not a big deal.

The cats on these motors are welded to the manifolds so I can't offer cat delete pipes or high flow cats for the stock exhaust.
    1MadSTSV and I had our cats gutted. It was pretty simple. No real gains that I could tell.

I'm thinking about designing a reserve tank for the intercooler system too. One that would increase the fluid capacity significantly and allow the addition of ice for drag racing.
    I had several tests run comparing cooling mods and concluded #1 was Interchiller Super Chiller with reserve tank, #2 Interchiller Super Chiller, #3 Meth Injection, #4 bigger/faster pump. I tried several different HE and different placements, none made as much difference as the bigger pump. The Super Chiller and reserve tank is an extensive mod compared to the rest, but well worth it for my Snake Bite. It also eliminates the need for ice.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Now this is the kind of discussion I was hoping for.

Tim - Why don't you work on a guide that we can sticky? The only place that STS-V owners can find documented modification results currently is with D3...and we all know how reliable that data has proven to be...not to mention no one is willing to pay their prices. This way you can let it be known that you have better, cheaper alternatives that work (whether you can advertise your prices or not), and you can reassure everyone that you know what you're talking about. You are well respected around here so you have the opportunity to become our trusted "guru" for all things performance.

Also...I have no idea if this is within your scope, but how about braking, suspension and wheels? One thing that comes to mind is the obvious - the hub swap...one of the projects I would love to tackle is the GM-parts-bin hub swap. From everything i know we SHOULD be able to bolt-on the Camaro SS/V2 hubs, and either the SS rotors with our stock calipers, or V2 rotors with the V2 calipers (I believe one would only need to do the front V2 brakes as the rear setup should be the same between the V2 and SS). That's a bolt on package that will continue to become cheaper with time...especially with the ZL1 now being available. From there we SHOULD be able to utilize any of the wheels that fit the SS, or V2 (in the case of the front V2 brakes). As I noted, I still would like to tackle this one myself, but at this time my job just does not afford me the time.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Tim - Why don't you work on a guide that we can sticky? The only place that STS-V owners can find documented modification results currently is with D3...and we all know how reliable that data has proven to be...not to mention no one is willing to pay their prices. This way you can let it be known that you have better, cheaper alternatives that work (whether you can advertise your prices or not), and you can reassure everyone that you know what you're talking about. You are well respected around here so you have the opportunity to become our trusted "guru" for all things performance.

Also...I have no idea if this is within your scope, but how about braking, suspension and wheels? One thing that comes to mind is the obvious - the hub swap...one of the projects I would love to tackle is the GM-parts-bin hub swap. From everything i know we SHOULD be able to bolt-on the Camaro SS/V2 hubs, and either the SS rotors with our stock calipers, or V2 rotors with the V2 calipers (I believe one would only need to do the front V2 brakes as the rear setup should be the same between the V2 and SS). That's a bolt on package that will continue to become cheaper with time...especially with the ZL1 now being available. From there we SHOULD be able to utilize any of the wheels that fit the SS, or V2 (in the case of the front V2 brakes). As I noted, I still would like to tackle this one myself, but at this time my job just does not afford me the time.
    The guide idea is a good one. I will work on that.

The hub swap would be great if it was cheap but it won't be. It would probably be $1000 or more. I don't think there is much of a market for it at that price, unfortunately.

Keep the ideas coming! We need products that have wide appeal so I can make them economically.

----------

The guide idea is a good one. I will work on that.

The hub swap would be great if it was cheap but it won't be. It would probably be $1000 or more. I don't think there is much of a market for it at that price, unfortunately.

Keep the ideas coming! We need products that have wide appeal so I can make them economically.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

The guide idea is a good one. I will work on that..
    You write it up, and I'll sticky it! (As long as you're willing to list all options including those not made by you).

Coach, 1madstsv, boomys10, and I and others could help with testimonials +/- as well as some documented results.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.