PM on Supercharger?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, PM on Supercharger? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I notice the owner's manual seems to have nothing about any maintenance on the supercharger. Do you guys know of ...
    carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

PM on Supercharger?

I notice the owner's manual seems to have nothing about any maintenance on the supercharger. Do you guys know of a schedule for changing the coolant and/or the oil?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: PM on Supercharger?

Depends on how hard you run it but I would change the oil every 25-30K. As for the coolant check it every oil change and change it as you would your normal engine coolant interval.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

I was under the impression that our S/C oil was not a serviceable item as it is a permanently sealed case.

----------

Confirmed, from GM;

The gears and ball bearings are lubricated by a synthetic oil. The oil resevoir is self-contained in the supercharger, isolated from the engine oil, sealed for the life of the unit and is not serviceable
    This is not to say that if you're replacing it, porting it, etc, that you can't change it, but for the average guy, trying to do PM in his garage on a Saturday, it isn't servicable.

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

i know that when the snout was removed off mine, the oil just poured right out and was then put right back in. took about 15minutes. so im unsure where the unservicable is coming from. i watched it happen with mine.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    I wonder how important it is to replace the oil? It does get quite hot of course, but no combustion involved.

Just wondering out loud.

Came from GM. You know, the people that designed and built the car.

I agree, can it be done? Yes. I did sh*t like this all the time working on other GM S/C vehicles in our service department. However, I was trained, had all the correct tools and information readily available. It's a car, anything can be R&R'd!

Question is, is it supposed to be? No. At least not for the guy, on a Saturday afternoon, in his garage for PM reasons. When you say 15 minutes, is that 15 minutes by someone trained/familiar with this process, with the proper tools/info readily available, and you're already down to just the snout R&R (and refill)? Or are you talking about that guy in his garage on a Saturday afternoon, starting from the time he/she opens the hood, to them closing the hood after a complete job, being 15 minutes?

Without going and looking up the actual process, from working around that front end of the engine many times as I have, it would include a substantial amount of other work before you even getting down to the snout. I know it would take me more than 15 minutes...

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

it honestly isnt that hard. he had an electric impact (nothing special) removed the 8bolts holding the supercharger down. removed the intake, and lifted the charger exposing the snout. proped it up and removed the 4 bolts that hold it on. its done. replaced silicon sealant on snout before reinstalled, left filler cap out, and refilled to the bottom of filler cap. then reinstalled cap. dropped charger back down and bolted it back to engine.

i dont care what gm says, i feel that some maintence should be done much more often than it is to be according to them..

Hard for YOU? Or hard for the guy who has a base set of Craftsman tools in his garage on a Saturday afternoon?

In concept I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm a PM freak. However, I also learned one thing from them, being trained by them too. Do as they say! If they tell you to maintain something at certain intervals, do it. If they tell you NOT to do something, DON'T do it... Leave it alone. Unsealing that case, if you don't know what you're doing and how to properly reseal it, can open up more issues in the long run than what you attempted to solve by trying to be a PM freak. From the sound of it, you had someone do it that was competent and knew what they were doing.

Is there a point in time to unseal it and replace fluid. Yup. I'm with folks on that and would do it myself. But if it's something that on a Saturday afternoon, that the OP is looking to try to be proactive about, like changing the air filter, on something that wasn't designed for end user serviceability, leave it alone. You could open up a pandora's box of problems, especially on a car like this that isn't cheap to repair and obviously as we're starting to see, parts availability issues (namely the S/C).

I guess I see it from both sides of the fence.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.