Broken Motor Mounts - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Broken Motor Mounts in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN I wish these would fit our cars. Anyone make poly replacements for ours? https://www.revshift.com/shop/polyur...llac-cts-v.php Your wish ...
    Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Broken Motor Mounts

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    I wish these would fit our cars. Anyone make poly replacements for ours?

https://www.revshift.com/shop/polyur...llac-cts-v.php
    Your wish has been granted.

https://www.revshift.com/shop/polyur...llac-sts-v.php

We will have better pictures up soon too.

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

For a daily driver that doesnt track, do you recommend soft or hard? And do either provide better, same, worse noise/vibration reduction over stock? After all it is the wifes car now. I need to purchase asap so what is the new price? :-)

----------

Too funny. I read prices not pictures. Oops. But the other questions still stand

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

The harder the compound, the more engine noise that will be transmitted through them into the frame and therefore the cabin. My son works on high performance cars all the time, and most people are somewhat astonished by the increased noise and vibration from the poly motor mounts. While caddies have much better sound insulation than most, there will be an increase in noise and vibration by switching to poly. That is why most cars OEM mounts have the fluid in them - to dampen vibration and noise. If it is your wife's daily driver, I would go with the 80's instead of the 92's.
    Bob

Since its my wifes daily driver I ordered stock rubber replacements. I would love to order Poly but dont want to take the chance she wouldnt like it. I know I would.

The reason the quote is so high on Caddy doing the job is as follows.

The part number for the rubber has a note that the bracket must be replaced at the same time and that both sides also have to be replaced at one time. That is why it calls for the sub frame to be lowered. I would immagine getting to the metal bracket on the motor would be a pain in the ass.

But I ordered the rubber only and am going to give it a try in the driveway since I am already replacing the front bumper cover with the spare I have. How hard can the bottom and top nut on the bushing be to get to, right? Famous last words.

AriGold. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

I emailed RevShift 8 days ago asking if they would make these for our cars. They said no problem to send the measurements. I didn't get around to doing that because I got busy.. Glad someone did!! Just put in an order.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Make sure to update us on the labor involved and any pics if you can get some. Also the results.

After reviewing the exploded diagram of our engine cradle i have decided there is not enough room to jack up the engine to get enough clearance to get the engine mount out. It is impossible to go from the top. So I have planned to put the car on jack stands to get it high enough for me to get under the car. The. I am goint to buy 4 engine cradle bolts that are 2 inches longer than stock. Then jack the engine to support the engine and tranny to keep exactly where it is. Remove front two cradle bolts and replace with longet ones leaving them 2 inches loose. Replace rear cradle bolts with new longer ones and leave 2 inches loose. The. Remove engine mount lower nuts and cradle should drop 2 inches to sit on the heads of the new cradle bolts. Remove top engine mount nut and remove old mount. Repeat on other side. Install new mounts and reverse process to put everything back together. Thats the plan at least. Well see how real life goes.

Well its not 4 bolts. Suspension is connected to the subframs as is the power steering pump. I decided i am not going to try to do the mounts. Ill take it to a shop and have my mounts put in.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

NOT good news Dan..... Let us know what they charge.

Just got the car back.

3 Things

1) You know they are bad if you hear a couple of things. I heard what sounded like my blower snout clunking on cold shut down. ( moving car in driveway and turning right back off). I also felt a vibration in the steering wheel and shifter on idle and when down shifting.

The big indication is if you start your car or shut if off you should NOT feel the engine.

My new mounts makes the car feel like the engine isnt even running. I can't feel the engine start.

2) power break the car with the hood up. If the motor rotates 1 inch or more, they are bad. let off the gas and you will feel a soft thunk as the engind sits back down.

3) your transmission will shift soft/delayed/random early upshifts. hard launches will feel delayed and be very difficult to break the tires loose.

100k miles on mine and now I can break the tires loose pretty easily in the rain. almost as easy as my Vette. I haven't been able to do this or worry about rain for a long time. Driving it home in the rain was quite fun today.

To be honest I think my mounts were bad from the factory as I have never really felt mine was as powerful or quick as some other cars on this board. IT IS NOW!!!

caddimoriarty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 sts..now a 2000 sts
    Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    They say $350 each total $700 and $900 for labor. Mechanic came out and said whole subframe has to be dropped.

They say the motor mount is rubber and is fluid filled. Once the rubber cracks it leaks fluid. They say they saw both with a crack and evidence there was fluid leaking at some point in time.

I am picking it up today without the mounts being replaced. Odd thing is that they are not concerned in the least that i am taking the car without replacing such a critical part.
    Wow!! Thats crazy expensive!! Im picking up a oem from mech for $60 a piece.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.