Brake Dust
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Brake Dust in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Holy brake dust batman!!! I recently purchased my 2006 STS-V in August and haven't washed it in about a month ...
    DeviledSTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Brake Dust

Holy brake dust batman!!!

I recently purchased my 2006 STS-V in August and haven't washed it in about a month due to surgery to my bicep tendon, cant use my right arm that much at the moment, and I don't do car washes. The brake dust build up is RIDICULOUS, my front wheels looked powdercoated dark gray and the brakes squeal like a pig in heat! has anybody switched to ceramic pads? any aftermarket recommendations? the stock pads will have to go soon!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: Brake Dust

Several of us have. Just make sure you "bed" them in properly. I use Hawk Ceramic pads and they still make noise from time to time. It depends on how hard I use them.

Jailtime is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 95 Sierra Z71

Can't wait to get rid of these stock pads. Had EBC Red Stuff with the Black Dash rotors on my old STS, gonna put the same on the V. No brake dust with that combo.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Hawk HPS pads if you are not as heavy-footed as PGA is (you know I am just kidding!). Since I see you live in AZ, you will not have the joy of going through the winter cold cycles here in Chicago, where the HPC pads just never get warm enough to give good stopping distances. I have tried both, and I definitely prefer the HPS. Both do a good job of getting rid of the dust.

Bob

boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

i put ceramics on mine, but the feel is kinda strange for me. i like the lack of dust, but still have to adjust to the peddle feel. just doesnt feel like its stopping as fast even though im sure it is.

r1concepts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Ceramic pads will definitely give you low dust, but you do lose braking power if you switch to ceramics. Plus the feel when braking is different compared to if you were to have Hawks or Stoptechs. I am a vendor on here so I can hook you up. Let me know if you're interested and I'd be glad to help you out.

thanks everyone for your input. didnt realize ceramics actually had less stopping power versus metallic pads. how are hawk hps pads with brake dust? less than the stock pads? are the stock rotors able to handle aftermarket pads?

brbevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V

+1 on the Hawk pads. One of the fist things I did to the V. Huge reduction in brake dust and good stopping power. Thumbs up!

DeviledSTS-V- Were you on the side of the road on the 101 this morning? There was one at the 101 and 17 split with a shredded left rear tire. I would have stopped but it was too late when I saw it.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

I have Hawk HPS pads on the front of my car and they are great on dust. My rear wheels get dustier than the fronts now.

AKA ZR1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS V 6MT

Before you start throwing out pads, try Armor All Rim Protectant. It's about $10.00 a canup here and it works amazing. I had my wheels PVD chromed and I'm a freak for clean rims. After I spent a hour cleaning them the 1st drive out they be dusty again.
    I tried Armor all Rim Protectant and this stuff works! You spray it on, I wait a few hours till it drys,and its been about a month now and there still clean.

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    DeviledSTS-V- Were you on the side of the road on the 101 this morning? There was one at the 101 and 17 split with a shredded left rear tire. I would have stopped but it was too late when I saw it.
    Not me, I live and spend 95% of my time in goodyear or the far west valley. I noticed you live in surprise, pretty nearby. I just bought my V in august from a member, username meekna, nathan. He mentioned the car has the same tune you run or once ran. Well I now own the vehicle, flew to mizzou and drove her back! Love the car!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by AKA ZR1 View Post
    Before you start throwing out pads, try Armor All Rim Protectant. It's about $10.00 a canup here and it works amazing. I had my wheels PVD chromed and I'm a freak for clean rims. After I spent a hour cleaning them the 1st drive out they be dusty again.
    I tried Armor all Rim Protectant and this stuff works! You spray it on, I wait a few hours till it drys,and its been about a month now and there still clean.
    Never heard of this, will have to give it a try then!

Quote Originally Posted by DeviledSTS-V View Post
    He mentioned the car has the same tune you run or once ran.
    Yep he has or had a tune I did for him. He had Jesse play with the trans setting a little. Not sure if he did anything else after I did it or not. Did you get the HP Tuner too?

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Yep he has or had a tune I did for him. He had Jesse play with the trans setting a little. Not sure if he did anything else after I did it or not. Did you get the HP Tuner too?
    PGA2B, a lil late on my reply, no didnt get the HP tuner. I was considering finding a tuner to make sure the tune is okay for both the ecu and tranny, I believe its the same tune you gave him, if so, is it a good/safe tune? Only tuner ive ever used is Nic D, pretty popular in the phoenix area for LSx GM cars. But I dont know if hes ever tuned an STS-V LC3 before.

It is a very safe tune. I was just learning these cars and didn't get too crazy. What I have now is more aggressive. We can hook up sometime and I can take a look at it and run some scans just to make sure its good with our crappy gas out here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.