normal oil temps
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By C66 Racing
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, normal oil temps in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Ive never really paid attention, but after getting a random "engine hot ac off" message I've been paying more attention ...
    Martyn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

normal oil temps

Ive never really paid attention, but after getting a random "engine hot ac off" message I've been paying more attention as i can't find any problems. Had my mechanic look over everything, no leaks, tstat is good, water pump is good ect.

With the weather outside ranging from 70-80 I notice my high way oil temps will range from 183-187. Now when I get into stop and go traffic, ive seen up to 210 and it just seems to shoot up pretty quick. My coolant temp stays between 1 line under half and half.

Just something I've never paid attention to, just wanted to make sure it was something that was common and not a sign of something potentially serious

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,09 escalade, 80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Re: normal oil temps

I see 180-230 depending on how I'm driving. So your fine.

Martyn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks! Good to know. Never had a vehicle that monitored the oil temp, was just a bit nervous at the 20+ degree change in a few minutes

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Normal.

fast_lane10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS - V

I have seen lower 220s in stop and go traffic

LEGACY_GN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 1987 Buick Grand National

Running mine at a road course in Houston 95 degree weather highest I ever got was 218. Maybe amsoil helps?

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

A factor is likely how the oil is cooled on the STS-V. Anyone know if it has a cooler? I will say that based on my experience with my 02 Corvette Z06, and 06 CTS-V, neither of which had oil coolers (stock - my Vette now does), the above temps are not atypical.

silver sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V

With Mobil 1 it will protect perfectly over 300F and you will NEVER see those temps.

My drag motor builder, Reher-Morrison, tested about every oil and they recommend a 10W-30 synthetic as long as it is a PAO based oil like Mobil 1. I would NEVER worry about oil temps with this in the crankcase.

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by silver sts-v View Post
    With Mobil 1 it will protect perfectly over 300F and you will NEVER see those temps.

My drag motor builder, Reher-Morrison, tested about every oil and they recommend a 10W-30 synthetic as long as it is a PAO based oil like Mobil 1. I would NEVER worry about oil temps with this in the crankcase.
    Mobil 1 no longer claims that their oil is PAO based. Data posted on the oil forums from analysis of Mobil 1 indicates that it is predominantly a Group III basestock, a highly hydroprocessed mineral oil, allowed in the U.S. to be marketed as synthetic. Interestingly in Europe, only Group IV (PAO) and Group V (other but predominantly polyol ester basestock) is allowed to be marketed as synthetic. In the U.S., the vast majority of off the shelf synthetics today are Group III.

I also do not agree that your engine will be fine with an oil temp up to 300F, independent of what oil you use. At 300F, Mobil 1 5w30 has a high temp high shear viscosity of 3.1 cSt. At 212F, Mobil 1 has a viscosity of 11.0 cSt. Thus there is a 72
    % loss of viscosity from 212F to 300F. At those temps, it is only a matter of time before a component in the engine under heavy load (e.g. your bearings) fails.

As it relates to your drag motor, there are other issues like anti-wear additives, that make me question blanket statements about suitability of one oil or another. From 94-97, the API SH spec allowed up to 1200 ppm phosphorus for 5w30 and 10w30 and didn't address other 30 grade viscosity like 0w30. In 97, API SJ dropped the limit to 1000 ppm, but still did not address 0w30. In 01, API SL kept 1000 ppm phosphorus, but added 0w30 to the spec. In 04, API SM further dropped the limit to 800 ppm, but for the first time set a floor at 600 ppm and advertised that oil's were better. Essentially they were capping how much phosphorus the better oils could have and mandating the lowest amount the cheapest oils must have. The current API SN spec still has the band 600-800 ppm phosphorus.

Unfortunately, phosphorus, along with zinc, in a compound called ZDDP, or or zinc dialkyl dithio phosphate, forms an oil's primary anti-wear additive. The reason behind this is that phosphorus slowly poisons the cats and prevent the catalytic exchange that allows them to function properly. To ensure auto companies could meet the EPA's 100k+ mile emissions requirements, the API has slowly been dropping the limit on phosphorus.

So, any oil labeled to meet the current API SN spec will be limited to 800 ppm max phosphorus. This impacts how well it will be able to perform in anti-wear, such as might be seen in your bearings under heavy load.

There are oils with much higher ZDDP available for high mileage or racing engines. AMSOIL has two examples.
    I use their racing oil:
    AMSOIL Dominator Synthetic 10w30 Racing Motor Oil (Product Code RD30QT)
    (zinc – 1575 ppm, phosphorus 1474 ppm)
    AMSOIL's classic car flat tappet offering which is a good choice for a high ZDDP oil with some detergent (the racing oil has none):
    AMSOIL Z-ROD 10w30 Synthetic Motor Oil (Product Code ZRTQT)
    (zinc – 1440 ppm, phosphorus 1320 ppm)

Bottom line, if you are using Mobil 1 10w30 in your drag motor, you are getting a Group III basestock with low levels of ZDDP. You are better off shifting to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 which has zinc 1100 ppm and phosphorus 1000 ppm.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Just an aside ...... Oil running temps in a daily driver should be up around 185 - 215. Oil, by its very nature and design, absorbs a LOT of condensation moisture and blowby acids so it needs to get relatively hot in order to boil off contaminants for burning by the PCV system. Also, a little known fact is that relatively cool oil will not flow through filter media as easily as warm/hot oil, so the internal filter bypass lifts and some or all unfiltered cool oil is sent directly to the oil passages in the engine.

Guess what cools pistons, rings, con rods, crank, chains, sprockets and bearings ? (and the oil pump..............)

silver sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V

Dear C66,

More study here is needed, the following hve 1200 ppm of phos and sinc: the 0W-40 Mobil 1, the 15W-50 and the 5w-40 diesel oil as of my last call it is still primarily a PA synthetic. You are correted about oil not getting much over 200 but the point is that by actual test it worked just fine at pprox 340 degrees. Want proof, call Johnny Claridgee at Reher Morrison and ask their experiences with all of them.

And he does not sell M1 oils . .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.