Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So the subject explains it pretty easily. Its been crazy humid the last couple days and coming out of the ...
  1. #1
    YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    250

    Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    So the subject explains it pretty easily. Its been crazy humid the last couple days and coming out of the house in the morning I noticed that the driver headlight had a ton of moisture inside it. Enough to make a number of decent sized water droplets.

    First easy question: Anyone know if this is covered by the GMPP warranty?

    Second part: They recently changed my corner light in this assembly. And it just happens to be crazy humid the week after. I have in the past seen some moisture in that headlight assembly but nothing like this. Could I just blame it on them for an extra reason to not have to pay?

    Thanks People.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    boomys10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    missouri
    Age
    29
    Posts
    751

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    u could try and blame them. normally moisture in a sealed environment will be from some outside source. (broken seal somewhere, let mositure in when doing something, etc) you have a decent agrument that them preforming the work could have caused it. however, then will prolly telly ou that what they did could not have effected it in this way and therefore they wont honor it. the most common cause of this that ive seen is from moisture breaking the seal somehow. if they decide not to mess with it, you can fix it yourself by removing the headlight, heating it in oven to loosen adhesive and then reseal. my expirence with dealers has not been super pleasent, hence the talking down about yours. hope yours is better and seeing as it costs them nothing really, they fix it for you.

  4. #3
    cstarky15 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    278
    I would try and have them fix it. There is a vent in the headlights. Some moisture is normal but droplets aren't. Talk to then about it, be nice and try. If not connect Cadillac customer service and try them. Sealed beams aren't covered. Fyi

  5. #4
    AriGold. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    143

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    I'll be fixing mine left front headlight this weekend. I will post a write up along with a "how to bake" your lights thread. Be on the look out for it.

  6. #5
    YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    250

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by AriGold. View Post
    I'll be fixing mine left front headlight this weekend. I will post a write up along with a "how to bake" your lights thread. Be on the look out for it.


    That is some awesome timing. I'll certainly be on the look out.
    I'll see what the dealership can do for me. After finding out we both really like the band The Gaslight Anthem (free shout out to them) my service advisor has warmed up to me. Maybe he'll try to take care of it...I'm hoping for the best. If not, I'll learn how to bake my lights when AriGold is done.

  7. #6
    blebert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V and 2012 CTS-V
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    I had this same problem too. GMPP said no to replacement, however would go 50/50, which was still $500.00. After doing a fair amount of research in this forum, one Saturday I removed the front clip and headlight. I went over all the seams with clear silicone, put a silicone gel packet in the bottom, and sprayed the access door with tent sealer. That was about 3 months ago. Thus far, no moisture has returned. On a side note, my thanks to all who posted on the subject and what worked for them. Those postings were very helpful and allowed me to tackle the project with this an average level of mechanical experience.

  8. #7
    leija_01's Avatar
    leija_01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Down in the Gutter, TX
    Posts
    376

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    I used a heat gun on mine AriGold to open the light up. It took more time, but I definitely didn't trust myself putting the light in a oven. lol. I might be selling my black ones soon!

  9. #8
    YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    250

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by boomys10 View Post
    u could try and blame them. normally moisture in a sealed environment will be from some outside source. (broken seal somewhere, let mositure in when doing something, etc) you have a decent agrument that them preforming the work could have caused it. however, then will prolly telly ou that what they did could not have effected it in this way and therefore they wont honor it. the most common cause of this that ive seen is from moisture breaking the seal somehow. if they decide not to mess with it, you can fix it yourself by removing the headlight, heating it in oven to loosen adhesive and then reseal. my expirence with dealers has not been super pleasent, hence the talking down about yours. hope yours is better and seeing as it costs them nothing really, they fix it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cstarky15 View Post
    I would try and have them fix it. There is a vent in the headlights. Some moisture is normal but droplets aren't. Talk to then about it, be nice and try. If not connect Cadillac customer service and try them. Sealed beams aren't covered. Fyi
    Quote Originally Posted by blebert View Post
    I had this same problem too. GMPP said no to replacement, however would go 50/50, which was still $500.00. After doing a fair amount of research in this forum, one Saturday I removed the front clip and headlight. I went over all the seams with clear silicone, put a silicone gel packet in the bottom, and sprayed the access door with tent sealer. That was about 3 months ago. Thus far, no moisture has returned. On a side note, my thanks to all who posted on the subject and what worked for them. Those postings were very helpful and allowed me to tackle the project with this an average level of mechanical experience.
    So I finally got my car back to them this morning. So far I'm an unhappy person. Thanks to everyone who posted up similar stories but to continue this thread and hopefully get a better answer than I've gotten so far here's a wrap up of my time with my Cadillac dealer (who's name I'll keep reserved until this problem is worked out)

    I originally had the dealership replace the corner bulb in the driver-side assembly on August 23. A few days later I noticed dew starting to form, as the OP says. In the last month I've moved and I went on a week long vacation so the car hasn't really seen much driving. After vacation I call up for an appointment to fix this and I'm told the first opening is 11 days away. We had some decent rain for the first time in a little while last night and I woke to about an inch of standing water in my headlight. By the time I arrived at the dealership my low beam was no longer working. I was greeted warmly, but quickly told that this wasn't going to be covered, because just like CSTARKY said, sealed beams aren't covered by GMPP. I let him know that this was directly related to the work done by the dealership on that headlight assembly last month, but was met with a "no, replacing that bulb couldn't have broken the seal."

    So right now they have the car and will be looking at it...but from what I gather this is something like a $1000 headlight replacment?? Anyone have some suggestions on how to handle this? Ideas on a defense strategy? Because I didn't have a drop of moisture in any light, at any time until August 23rd.

  10. #9
    YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    250

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    As a follow up, can anyone explain how these headlights are sealed and what the dealership would have most likely done when replacing the corner bulb that would have compromised the seal? I'm trying to compile some knowledge so that when the inevitable confrontation occurs this afternoon I am prepared with the know-how of the headlight assembly and have a solid defense behind me.

    Thanks in Advance people.

  11. #10
    PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    284

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    I had some moisture in both headlights after driving in very heavy rain once, and my dealer replaced both assmeblies under my CPO warrantee. Yes they are about $900-1000 each, but not sure if that includes labor.

  12. #11
    cstarky15 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    278

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    My guess is the seal is worn out and cracked when they moved it around to install the new bulb. Not sure if they had to remove the headlight completely to do it or not. Some say yes some say no. I would fight it and say well it wasn't like this before I brought it in to you and now it is leaking like a sieve.
    My service writer was great to me and he talked to the regional rep and he okay'd them to cover 80%, so I paid $200 for a new headlight. I took it as a win and didn't cost me $1000!

    If they really won't do anything about it say ok and contact Cadillac Customer Care. 1-800-458-8006. I have had great luck with them getting the dealer to do things for me and if the dealer get in "trouble" if they get too many calls from Cadillac Customer Care.

  13. #12
    YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    250

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by cstarky15 View Post
    My service writer was great to me and he talked to the regional rep and he okay'd them to cover 80%, so I paid $200 for a new headlight. I took it as a win and didn't cost me $1000!
    If they really won't do anything about it say ok and contact Cadillac Customer Care. 1-800-458-8006. I have had great luck with them getting the dealer to do things for me and if the dealer get in "trouble" if they get too many calls from Cadillac Customer Care.
    Hey, thanks for the Customer Care #. I got a phone call back from my service advisor and we had short exchange. He said it wasn't fixable because the headlight was now shorting out due to all the water. I asked where the water was coming from and he said "the back of the housing is loose." Well.....I told him that was obviously never the case before and it's not too hard to draw a line back to August 23rd when they worked on it. I then told him that $1200 was absurd for a problem they created and that he needs to talk to his service manager....That's where we stand right now. What a fun day this turned into. (hey at least it's sunny now ¿?)

  14. #13
    tah93's Avatar
    tah93 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V Black Raven w/ Tango Red
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Temple, PA
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by leija_01
    I used a heat gun on mine AriGold to open the light up. It took more time, but I definitely didn't trust myself putting the light in a oven. lol. I might be selling my black ones soon!
    Let me know if you sell them I am interested.

  15. #14
    YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    250

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    So I figured I'd write a little blurb here to wrap up my ordeal over my broken headlight now that I have my car back a week later.

    I fought with the Dealership who performed the original work for a couple days. They went to GMPP - who wouldn't touch it. They then went up to Cadillac and after two and a half days got word back that Cadillac would cover the headlight under warranty (my car is six years one month old). I guess they have a decent amount of pull, as they have a new banner hanging in front of the dealership "Number 1 Cadillac dealer in New York." They refused to admit fault the entire time but they eventually did get it covered so I don't really care, a win is a win...

    I am still a little bent over the whole thing, but since I moved during this whole debacle I won't be using the dealership anymore, there's another one within 2 miles of me now.

    A close friend of mine owns a BMW and this event put into perspective how Cadillac still isn't up to the German's standards of customer satisfaction. He had his passenger airbag fail (it wouldn't have deployed in the event of an accident). It wasn't covered by any warranty - but without hesitation they gave him a loaner car for 6 days while they fixed it. I was forced to pay for a loaner car, and after two days of fighting and realizing I was going to be without my car for an extended period of time I returned it. I had another car available to me at home but I find it aggravating that I was so inconvenienced (time AND money) by something that was the service center's fault (even though they refused to admit it). Someone who owns an $80,000 car should not have to be inconvenienced like I was. I'm sure a lot of it may be the individual dealership - but to be "The standard of the World", their service center's attentiveness to the customer's needs should be above Hyundai's.

    To those that are curious the dealership is Sarant Cadillac.

  16. #15
    Martyn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    83

    Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

    I used to deal with that dealer when I worked for a GM ADI. I can attest to them being a pain in the ass!

    Glad you got everything worked out!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting