Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly in Cadillac V-Series Forums; My dealer gave me a loaner when they did a simple detaling. I think each dealership is different on how ...
    parkeraire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06' sts-v

Re: Lot of Moisture in Driver Headlight Assembly

My dealer gave me a loaner when they did a simple detaling. I think each dealership is different on how they handle customer service.

ceez4r is offline Cadillac Owners Member

After reading a few of these threads and trying everything, no luck.

Dealer won't touch it, GMPP won't touch it, and Cadillac passed me around to a few people and they won't touch it either. All in all, the Cadillac customer service was awful. I escalated my issue to a supervisor who didn't want to hear about the issue and would offer me no information so that I could escalate it even further.

I'm at a loss as to what I can do now. I mean, I could spend the $989 to get it fixed, but I don't feel I should have to.

For the guy who did this himself who was going to write it up, can you give me some tips?

aleal05v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V
    I bought a 2006 STS-V over a year and a half ago and noticed the moisture a month later. It would get as much as 1/2 inch sometimes and would never clear up. I did some research and found that they are sealed units but the bulbs are behind this unit and not inside of the sealed part. So in talking with a friend I decided, instead of paying $1000 for the replacement, I drilled a small hole at the bottom of both corners. The water drained out and the moisture dried up over the next couple of days. I have not seen any moisture in there since and it has been at least 14 months.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ceez4r View Post
    ...All in all, the Cadillac customer service was awful. I escalated my issue to a supervisor who didn't want to hear about the issue and would offer me no information so that I could escalate it even further...
    Ceez4r, I'm so sorry you've been frustrated with your experience so far! You mentioned discussing the matter with our Cadillac Customer Assistance Center, so please let me know if you would like me to investigate the particulars of your case. Emailing me with your case number or the last eight of your VIN would help me greatly; I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

tbreezy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have had the same problem. Dealership refuses to do anything but replace the assembly for $1000, GMPP will not help either. I guess the only options are pay the $1000 or do it yourself. SMH
    I have a question for Lucille@gmexpert.com. If there are so many complains about the same headlight moisture issue, why hasn't GM/Cadillac addressed this? Why hasn't a arecall been made for this particular issue?

ceez4r is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Katie,

I appreciate the reply, but I'm exhausted in dealing with customer service.

tbreezy brings up a great point considering this goes back to the Seville.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thbreezy, I apologize for the inconvenience but General Motors does not release vehicle recalls. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls. For more information about that process, I recommend checking out http://www.nhtsa.gov.

Ceez4r, I can definitely understand your perspective, but please keep me in mind should you decide you would like someone to follow up for you!

Best,

Katie

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    Thbreezy, I apologize for the inconvenience but General Motors does not release vehicle recalls. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls. For more information about that process, I recommend checking out http://www.nhtsa.gov.

Ceez4r, I can definitely understand your perspective, but please keep me in mind should you decide you would like someone to follow up for you!

Best,

Katie
    So although GM knows these headlights are defective unless NHTSA issues a recall there is nothing GM is willing to do about it? GM is not willing to right a wrong with their products on their own that they see is having reoccurring problems?

parkeraire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06' sts-v

Quote Originally Posted by tbreezy View Post
    So although GM knows these headlights are defective unless NHTSA issues a recall there is nothing GM is willing to do about it? GM is not willing to right a wrong with their products on their own that they see is having reoccurring problems?
    Not just GM. Any manufacurer. It's big business and recalls or service bulittins are pricy.

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by tbreezy View Post
    I don't think they're defective...What makes you say that.

I started this thread because after having a bulb replaced in my headlight it began leaking water. I traced that back to the tech. It was never proven or dis-proven, but the dealership stepped up and covered the headlight - as their only solution was a full replacement. My other headlight is in perfect working condition and I've only heard of one other guy having water issues with the headlight. I'd bet they can both be traced back to improperly sealing the back of the housing before putting the headlight unit back into the car.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBlood_STSV

I don't think they're defective...What makes you say that.

I started this thread because after having a bulb replaced in my headlight it began leaking water. I traced that back to the tech. It was never proven or dis-proven, but the dealership stepped up and covered the headlight - as their only solution was a full replacement. My other headlight is in perfect working condition and I've only heard of one other guy having water issues with the headlight. I'd bet they can both be traced back to improperly sealing the back of the housing before putting the headlight unit back into the car.
    If you input headlight or condensation in the search engine you will see how many threads/ responses come up regarding this issue. Not just for STS but CTS and if I'm not mistaken, SRX as well. I also don't know of too many other $40-50,000 vehicles that have headlight issues like this. In your case, the dealership actually took care of it ONLY because they were the ones that serviced the headlight.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Likely all you need to do is replace the foam surround that goes around the 2 access ports on the back/side of the light. Air out the light in a dry area replace the foam and throw in the really large packet of the desiccant material that comes with some large electronics to negate shipment moisture. You could likely find them online. They absorb water out of the air and capture it. You can reuse them too just a zap in the microwave or a long simmer in the oven at around 300*. Is it ideal? No; but a lot cheaper than new housings that GM will very highly likely never buy. Perhaps if your dealer is feeling sorry for you they would comp you the gaskets or some of the cost for the desiccant.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

Being a NYer myself i can say this, some NY dealers are a PIA--when i moved south the only delaer i had trouble with was one who jus moved from NYC--hes now out of business here

So I decided to start to take the headlight off to dry it and reseal it. All is going well until I try to remove the plug that goes into the headlamp! It will NOT come off! I don't want to force it and break it and I know it has to detach somehow. Can anyone help me out I'm losing it! Below is the picture.

image-2333016165.jpg

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

If it is anything like the Fog lamp plug it gets that fine sand/dust in between the plug wall that makes it really hard to disconnect.
    Feels like you are going to break it but it does come off, just wiggle wiggle wiggle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.