Looking to buy!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Looking to buy! in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hi, I am new to this forum and am looking to get into a performance luxury car. Currently I have ...
    lpm
    lpm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 325xi

Looking to buy!

Hi, I am new to this forum and am looking to get into a performance luxury car. Currently I have an e46 325xi, which is an OK car....but not one of any superlatives. What scares me most about it, is that as it nears 100k it is slowly falling apart, and my brothers audi a4 has been the least reliable car my family has ever owned and it doesn't even have 80k on it. Meanwhile my other brother has owned a suburban for 170k miles with no major: the ac-compressor went last month and it has gone through a couple of window regulators and a wheel hub...that's it. And my mother owns an xlr and the interior and looks are first class. So, being in the market for a performance luxury can I immediatly turned towards BMW and the m3/550i, but my experiance with german reliabilty steered me away. GM quality/simplicity/performance drew me towards their products, and I looked at g8's and suburbans, but the exclusivity factor was not there. Then I remembered the sts-v and was instantly drawn, but no car is perfect, and I have a few questions.

I would probably be looking at an 07 with no warranty(50-60k miles).

-I really wish they came with ls2/3/7/a's instead of the N* 4.4 s/c....I try to do all the work on cars my self and I image parts are hard to come by inexpensively for an engine that maybe 5k were made?

-With a car of such limited production and so many gizmo's I image electrical bugs are an issue, you can tell GM never really refined the electrics in my mothers XLR as it will do weired things. I can fix mechanical issues, but electrical components are a little scarier to me.

- I would LIKE to spend under 20k, but could stretch to 22-23 if it is the exact one I want

-Are their any common issues that happen at xx,xxx mileage, or maintanance that should have been done on the car by that time?

-I am OK with around 16 combined on premium and 9 quarts of mobil one, as my daily drive is short and do the oil changes myself.

-They are so hard to find locally(mass), so i can't test drive one very easily.

-Are there any owners out there with high mileage v's? I plan on keeping the car for about 6 years 100-110k miles at the very least, and want to know if it would make financial sense to keep it this long without me spending stupid money on repairs.

-I trust GM, and in my experiance they make great cars, but the limited production of this car and the electircal gadgets scare me!

From what I have seen I am in love with the car and am just throwing all of the ideas in my head out there to see if this is the car for me, and insight would be great, especially from high mileage v owners.

Thanks in advance, Casey.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: Looking to buy!

Your thoughts were about the same as mine - the biggest fear was the Northstar. Engines and transmissions are expensive to replace and the 6L80 has a solid reputation. Everything I read about the engine was great. Each engine is hand-built by one technician and I still haven't read of any engine failures on the STS-V. I can tell you, it has to be the smoothest engine I've ever driven - from idle to redline. The rest of the parts are GM parts...

Wheel bearings seem to be the common failures. They're $100 and about an hour worth of work from jacking it up to cleaning up.

I bought the V as my 'keep for awhile' car. Reliable and performance aren't two words that go together very well. It isn't the fastest, it isn't the most reliable, it isn't the prettiest (but damn close), it isn't the cheapest...

I test drove the CTS-V (both generations), G8 GXP, Camaro SS, 535i MSport, IS-F, etc...the STS-V fit my needs / amount I wanted to spend on a car the best.

Insurance was higher than a C6 Z06 - which I was a bit shocked about.

That's about all I've got for ya for now.

V-whip is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    My insurance, full coverage, on my STS-V is $82 a month. I have no points on my record so I am sure that plays a major factor. If you look in the right places, you CAN actually find parts for very reasonable prices. i.e. rear diff, brand new - $350. The car is fun, has been unbelievably reliable and definitely tends to turn heads. The only issue I have had was driver error from wheel hop.
    I drive a LOT! I bought mine October of last year and have put just shy of 30K on it from time of purchase. With proper tuning you can get 22-24 MPG highway. (Mine says it gets 26 MPG on the dash but really gets 22). For the price, I am extremely pleased with this vehicle. Absolutely no regret!

glover is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    You will most likely put hub bearings on it at some point if they havnt already been replaced. The rear diffs are hit or miss some of them will develop a whine or occasional clutch chatter. The chatter can usually be fixed with fluid service. Other then that typical stuff that any sts with northstar has issues with. A few coolant leaks and minor electrical stuff. Overall a good car and fun to drive. Also if u get 1 2007 & up depending on build date it may still have powertrain warranty which would cover the hubs and diff if they ever had a problem. Hope that helps.

AriGold. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mines forsale.. With the factory warrenty.. Dont worry about anything.

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

sold my 07 as it was coming up on the end of warranty. As only 2500 or so of these were built, parts are a rare commodity...didnt want to get in that situation. That said, my STS-V was the finest car I have ever owned.

F

lpm
    lpm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 325xi

Thanks for all the responses. Is there any year to avoid, or are they alll the same...If there is nothign wrong with the 06(most of the time I would avoid the first model year) I would lean towards that because it is HP-tuners compatable? I do not really think I would buy one in warranty. I think the factory one is up at 5 years 50k miles, and I would not be able to find one in my price range with one that lasted for any good amount of time and it would be voided if I tuned it. You guys have given me a little more confidence in buying one, wheel hubs and diffs do not scare me too bad as they are not electical/precision mechanical work. I couldn't bring myself to buy an e46m due to the SMG and the nightmares seemingly everone has with it, and then the vanos bolts were not torqued correctly from the factory(reminds me of the case with toyotas early supras and the head bolts) and they could blow up, then brakes were 1k, etc, etc. The sts-v is also much more exclusive. I do not care if it is the fastest, but I think it is one of the prettiest cars, it's the perfect size, from what you guys are saying it's the most reliable of it's class, and it still pretty damn fast, haha

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

All years of the STS-V's are supported by HP Tuners. I have an 06 and she has been great. I just went out of warranty on July 13th.

Dave G is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The changes were few between years. 09 being the most exclusive but will also command the highest price. I looked to get an '08 as they added the fender vents. But ended up with a clean lower mileage '06. You just have to find one you want.

KingOfLacs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, Stepside Chevy, 1966 Chevelle

2006 with almost 100k No major problems t-stat change and change all the fluids before schedule you should be ok.

Where you located maybe someone will take you for a ride

choigilligan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I'm in western ma, if you're around here let me know. I'll take you for a ride.

AriGold. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Im in Tulsa.. I have to be within 200 miles of you.. I will meet up and take you for a ride.

sf ca here

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

you probably already done this, but heres an autotrader search for the V----the sort has sveral non v cars http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Id=75964&Log=0

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.