STS-V vs. Jag XJR
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, STS-V vs. Jag XJR in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I recently bought an STS-V, love it. I haven't driven the Jag in a while. I drove it yesterday. It ...
    idorace@comcast.net is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

STS-V vs. Jag XJR

I recently bought an STS-V, love it. I haven't driven the Jag in a while. I drove it yesterday. It has 100 hp less then the Cad but from 0-30, it is MUCH stronger. I'm guessing torque nannies? Do the programers make a big seat of the pants difference? Im worried about half shafts. If I don't take it to the strip, do burnouts, or get wheel hop, is everything going to be OK?

Im only interested in two mods, cold air induction, on order yesterday, and the TimC overdrive pulley.

Thoughts?

Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Re: STS-V vs. Jag XJR

You will be fine. My car for the last year has been making 450+Rwhp and 450+ rwtq and it been just fine. I have over 50 track passes on the car and drive it like I just don't care. I have put 35,000 miles on my car now and never had any issues with the drive line in the car. To Date the car has 83,400 miles total trans is fine engine does not burn oil, rear end has no noise so you should be ok. The rear is strong as long as you don't get wheel hop. Even at stock power you will brake if you hop. I have a c5 corvette that I broke to bilt rears in do to hop so I know not to let the v hop at all.

STS LC3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V Raven Black-Ebony/Tango Red

About half the time I get moderate wheel hop. Not sure why, but I don't start from zero, I go from a low speed roll. I'm not sure why it's hit or miss, perhaps road surface. Maybe because I'm not starting at zero. I would like to eliminate it. Something I'm doing wrong, shock replacement? BTW, 33000 on the clock.

STS LC3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V Raven Black-Ebony/Tango Red

Sorry, getting off topic.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Tires and air pressure can make a big difference. I will still get some hop from a dig if I'm not careful. But with 470 Rwhp it's hard to keep from spinning the tires. But I get the worst hop going in to 2 gear at 40-45 when the tire brake loose it hops bad. It come down to how much weight is on the back tires. The car acts very different with 1,2,3,our 4 people in the car. And how much gas it has in it. With 4 people in the car it's fast because I don't need to lift off the gas do to wheel hop. But any way try playing with air pressure. See if that helps.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

i traded in a XJR for my v, and got hammered on the trade in price--so i bought a 1 year old V...Anyway, my V is alot faster than the XJR they weigh about the same, and even at 100hp difference,thast 10 lengths in a 1/4 mile--are you sure you're V is running right?My experience with programmers alone is they give you a few HP,but the big difference is being able to adjust shift patterns, a quicker throttle respnse, and the car runs cooler---Id check the car first to make sure everything is working right,then buy the 2 items

Quote Originally Posted by torched10 View Post
    i traded in a XJR for my v, and got hammered on the trade in price--so i bought a 1 year old V...Anyway, my V is alot faster than the XJR they weigh about the same, and even at 100hp difference,thast 10 lengths in a 1/4 mile--are you sure you're V is running right?My experience with programmers alone is they give you a few HP,but the big difference is being able to adjust shift patterns, a quicker throttle respnse, and the car runs cooler---Id check the car first to make sure everything is working right,then buy the 2 items
    It is slower from 0-30, then the V is faster. Maybe it is throttle response.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

A programmer will improve the throttle response and eliminate the DBW lag. The biggest difference is the faster transmission shifts which results in faster times. As Ryan said, it's the wheel hop that kills the rear. I don't drive my car like I stole it (Like Ryan) and have had a tune on the car for over a year with no issues. In two weeks I will be adding Tim's Pulley and porting the S/C. Before the port and pulley I am at 429rwhp and hope to gain another 20-30 with the pulley and port.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

PGA2B let me know whow the pulley works for you..BTW Shelbys have a major issue with wheel hop--i changed out the upper and lower control arms and its gone--wonder if theres an app for the V..The 2013 Shelby,with 650hp has changed the suspension and its said doesnt wheel hop

No problem, will do! Can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    A programmer will improve the throttle response and eliminate the DBW lag. The biggest difference is the faster transmission shifts which results in faster times. As Ryan said, it's the wheel hop that kills the rear. I don't drive my car like I stole it (Like Ryan) and have had a tune on the car for over a year with no issues. In two weeks I will be adding Tim's Pulley and porting the S/C. Before the port and pulley I am at 429rwhp and hope to gain another 20-30 with the pulley and port.
    PGA

I drove the Jag again today, MUCH quicker throtle response AND set me in the seat harder. I did install the cold air in the V I like it. I talked to ??? (didn't write his name down) at Spectre and he said you are the MAN to talk to about programers and tunes. Im ready for that next step. You use HP Tunners correct? Should I go right for the Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by torched10 View Post
    No codes, 43K miles, how do you check to see if every thing is correct??? Dealership did a complete check up on the car before I bought it, $125 not the free one. Found a small leak in tn the intercooler and a noisy fuel pump, $2,100 in warentee work.

The only mod on the Jag is a smaller top pulley. It is a seat of the pants difference. Been doing this too long to tell me its my imagination. I have an old G-Tech unit. Will try it later today and post numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by idorace@comcast.net View Post
    PGA

I did install the cold air in the V I like it. I talked to ??? (didn't write his name down) at Spectre and he said you are the MAN to talk to about programers and tunes. Im ready for that next step. You use HP Tunners correct? Should I go right for the Pro?
    Go Pro so you can plug in a Wideband O2 to tune your WOT.

Vampyre is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V Black over Black!

I had a Jaguar S-Type R with a 400Hp supercharged motor, and my Jaguar did not feel as fast as the STS-V from a standing start or a 30 ~ 60Mph pull
    Both cars are very close in stock form when looking at the specs, so it could come down to the way you drive / launch.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.