detailing for micro scratches
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, detailing for micro scratches in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I luv my 2008 V--bought it withj 18000 miles 3 years ago--when i got it it had need poorly detalied ...
    torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts v, 2011EXT,65 GTO,08 vette,gt500

detailing for micro scratches

I luv my 2008 V--bought it withj 18000 miles 3 years ago--when i got it it had need poorly detalied ,probably at the dealer and had tons of microscrathes mainly on the hood--im a car guy and it bugged me no end.Checked into having a pro detail out the scratches, and both guys said there wasnt enough clear to buff them out or wet sand them I tried claybar, a litle improvement. I belong to a Shelby forum and one of those guys suggested a product called Liquid Glass--its a sealant polish. I put 4 coats of that on and you can hardly see the scrtaches thru the shine--if you look hard thru the shine you can se them, but at least the car reflects well enough, most folks woiuldnt see them.Thought id pass it on-- bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

Re: detailing for micro scratches

Eagle One makes a product called "Nano Wax" which is for black cars and works really well also. You use it with a micro fibre towl and it makes things dissapear at least for a while, and is a spray wax so it's really quick and easy to apply (like windexing the car). After using it my car's paint looks much deeper and blacker, enough where other people noticed something different.

Recovery21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade EXT, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham (Sold)

Another great product to use is 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. It is fine enough to hide the scratches and wipes right off as long as the paint is cool. Then you can wax over it and it will look good too. The paint can still be buffed as long as you know what you are doing. I personally use 3M Finesse-it II which is a finishing compound. Great for the micro scratches. You will get swirl marks when you buff it, but the good thing is, 3M also makes a product for that and IT WORKS! It doesn't hide them, it removes them for good. I was shocked when I used it for the first time. It is called Ultrafine (Purple bottle) which will remove all of the swirl marks to literally make it a show car shine. You would need the blue pad that they sell for it to get the best results. I use those products on my vehicles and people are shocked when they see it.

Here is my 96 Fleetwood brougham (Black) after I buffed it out using those products. This is the best shot that I have of it unfortunately, but the finish was cloudy before I started. It was original paint and I did that about 3 years ago now. Not a swirl mark on the paint because they were gone.

I have heard people using that liquid glass. Would you recommend for people to try it? I have had it in my hands a few times, but never ended up buying it.

yes----for your Fleetwood it may have enough clear to use Finesse etc witha good buff--- but youd be out a few hundred bucks with a good detailer--i have a buffing wheel but havent had luck using it. Id try the Liquid glass--buy the pre- bottles that removes any oxidation, light scratches etc-then use the liquid glass. It goes on/off very easily---I did the whole V in 2 sessions of 40 minutes--one for the prep and one for the LG-- just wipe it on witout alot of rubbing, let it dry for 20 minutes and take a terry cloth and just wipe it off--ive put 4 coats on the hood of the v--It basically is a sealer/polish that "coats" the paint and hardens in the finish--from folks ive talked to lasts a long time--ill take a pic of my V in the dyalight and post it I got my on Amazon.com thru AutoBarn

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

I use Imperial Hand Glaze by 3M on all my cars....so easy to take out fine scratches. Use a buffer wheel and do the whole car in about an hour.

F

Quote Originally Posted by torched10 View Post
    but youd be out a few hundred bucks with a good detailer--i have a buffing wheel but havent had luck using it.
    I know what you are saying. I have perfected it to the point where I know how far to go before you don't have any paint left. Not too hard to burn through the paint.

Recovery PS i also have a 2011 EXT--took me awhile to get used to the harder seats,plus i have the big 22in rims--finally took some air out of tires.Its a really nice car,traded in my 2003,which was much more comfy and had arm rests--but it was getting a littlelong in the tooth.But man it gets worse mileage than my 2003-i get 12.5 around town and 16 on long trips--i tried the flex fuel deal and got 8.5
    .As i said in my post, my V doesnt have much clear,so no buffing--LG seems a good compromise--on my 65 GTO still use meguiars products,but no wax, i find it kind of yellows out over time, so just use a glaze on it.My EXT gets left outside so think ill make it my next LG application

silver sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V

Being basically inept with finishes and having had the same problem, a car restorer told me to use the following; and yes, part was some what insulting to me too.
    Told me because I had the ham fisted technique to get a semi-orbital buffer so I don't burn through the clear - OK. Told me to use Finesse and Duragloss polish mixed to remove the micro scratches as this mix would insure that I couldn't screw it up - OK.
    Said to finish with any polish or wax of my choice. This was on a 92 and an 05 Vette and both came out far better then I expected.
    Seems the suggestions to me were correct.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.