Running Hot
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Running Hot in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Driving low speed the other day with a/c on i get the dreaded "engine hot a/c off". Well the engine ...
    cmross97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 97 Camaro SS 490rwhp, 02 Jeep GC

Running Hot

Driving low speed the other day with a/c on i get the dreaded "engine hot a/c off". Well the engine actually was hot the gauge ws almost pinned. Pulled over let it cool down then I was on my way no problems. Now 2 weeks later I had the car idling in 100* weather with a/c on and i noticed the gauge climbing and climbing. I turned off the a/c for a min and shut the car off for less than a min and the temp dropped back to about normal drove off no problems. Anyone have this problem ever? or anything similar?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Re: Running Hot

There's virtually no way the car could cool down from over heating to normal in a minute or two. Are you sure it was actually hot?

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC
    There's virtually no way the car could cool down from over heating to normal in a minute or two. Are you sure it was actually hot?
    The first time it happened it took a good ten minutes to cool off with the temp gauge gradually coming down this second time I noticed it and didn't let it get as hot so it cooled off faster. I'm due for an oil change do I'm gonna do that and change the thermostat tomorrow...last fall I was getting the engine hot ac off message with the coolant gauge at 0....so maybe the tstat is my answer to both problems. If not maybe I need to look into the cooling fans operation

Zzapp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V mine and 2010 CTS wife's

Could you hear or did you ck to see if the cooling fans were running when you got the engine hot sig?

I forgot to ask were you moving when it overheated, were you at freeway speeds or stuck in stopped traffic? what was outside temp at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Zzapp
    I forgot to ask were you moving when it overheated, were you at freeway speeds or stuck in stopped traffic? what was outside temp at the time?
    First time it was prob like 85-90 out and I was moving but not highway speed second time it was 100 and car was idling

Let it idle until the fans come on, then ck if both upper and lower fans are running....

I got my car in Jan this year, I noticed while doing some upgrades one of my fans is newer than the other... carfax shows it was in dealer for cooling/overheating repair.. could have been simular problem...

silver sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V

I agree with Timmy: there is no way the car can cool at all in a few minutes. To be direct, if you shut off and if it IS truly hot the unit will get hotter for the first several minutes or possibly longer. We experience this at the track and, when pitted, we leave the pump and fan(s) on while we spray the radiator to help cool off a hot engine.

I know nothing of the electronics in newer cars. I do know when they work they are great and when they have a hiccup they stink. If your car cooled as quickly as it did the first time I suggest the problem is not in the cooling system rather in the electronics.

But what do I know?

with engine hot car running a/c on ony the loer fan is running, when i shut the car off both fans run but it sounds like they are at low speed, should both fans run engine hot a/c on?

STS LC3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V Raven Black-Ebony/Tango Red

As mentioned above, make sure the fans are working. While you're in there changing the Tstat, I'd change the coolant temp sensor(s) too. If the fans are running and that doesn't bring it in line, then it could be the water pump or restricted radiator. How many miles are on the car? Did you perform coolant changes per the maintenance schedule? Any visible coolant leaks/overflow? 100 degree weather and stop & go traffic is going to raise the coolant temp. We look at 95 degrees everyday here and my coolant gauge doesn't go over 1/2 way and the high temp for my engine oil was 207 degrees.

Should both fans be running when engine is up to temp and the a/c is on? Cause on mine on ly the left lower fan is running on high

Found a blown fuse for the high speed fan gonna replace and see what happens hopefully it wont pop again

STS LC3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V Raven Black-Ebony/Tango Red

I would think that under those 100 degree conditions that both fans would be running on high speed. When I get home from work and pull in the drive, the fans are the loudest thing on the exterior of the car. My wife said it sounds like an airplane. I'd keep an eye on the fuses. A failing (or failed) fan motor will draw high amperage and blow fuses. Might have to replace the fan(s). Good luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.