Steering Wheel Heater issue - no solution from GM?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Steering Wheel Heater issue - no solution from GM? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hi Guys, Just wondering if anyone has had to replace their steering wheel due to the heater element or thermostat ...
    johnb21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Steering Wheel Heater issue - no solution from GM?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had to replace their steering wheel due to the heater element or thermostat module letting go. The dealer went to order a new wheel. They told me the wheel had been discontinued, but there was a replacement stock #. Yes we were concerned when they ordered the wheel, and when they received the wheel had come with black face place, versus silver (as stock on the V). The mechanic told service the face place was attached to the wheel and they were afraid of breaking it to swap out with my original V plate. They won't seperate the wheel from the plate, as they don't want to responsible for it damage. Seems the wheel is shipped as a whole unit (one part #). So the dealer has told me...."take black, or give up your steering wheel heater.."
    Can anyone provide some guidance here? I haven't had a chance to call GMPP ( of which this repair is under warranty) to discuss a remedy, but the dealer is telling me they will likely say, "sorry, we can't support in this issue.."

Help!!

Thank You!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cstarky15 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Steering Wheel Heater issue - no solution from GM?

take a look at this: Click me

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

The silver face plate with the buttons on it is a piece of cake to swap out. It bolts on. I dont see what your dealer is so afraid of.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Could you post a pic of this steering wheel? If you actually received a replacement HEATED steering wheel from GM, then you have performed what was, up to this point, an impossible feat.

I want to see what they are presenting to you as a replacement heated wheel, because most likely it is not what they claim it is.

rakoom2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Dude. I havent had mine go ahead yet but I have the service papers printed out and the steering wheel heating element on my car had been replaced 5 different times under warranty from the previous owner. They're not well made.

Sorry for the delay...4 kids under 5yrs.
    Anyway, they did replace the wheel, but as noted above, would not touch swapping out the face plates. They were afraid of breaking something, but I think it is also a combination of not geting paid by GM to do the swap.
    I will try and get a pic to post, but it is probably the same wheel they would put in a straight STS....soft matte black plastic. The wheel heat does now work, and I do like the feel and look of the new leather. They tell me there are only a handful of these wheels left, and after some discussion ( i am sure they clear with GM) they decided to give me the old wheel. I didn't think that would be a big deal, since the wheel has been discontinued....I think they later discovered this to be the case, as GM didn't care about a returned part they couldn't service or care to inspect.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb21 View Post
    Sorry for the delay...4 kids under 5yrs.
    Anyway, they did replace the wheel, but as noted above, would not touch swapping out the face plates. They were afraid of breaking something, but I think it is also a combination of not geting paid by GM to do the swap.
    I will try and get a pic to post, but it is probably the same wheel they would put in a straight STS....soft matte black plastic. The wheel heat does now work, and I do like the feel and look of the new leather. They tell me there are only a handful of these wheels left, and after some discussion ( i am sure they clear with GM) they decided to give me the old wheel. I didn't think that would be a big deal, since the wheel has been discontinued....I think they later discovered this to be the case, as GM didn't care about a returned part they couldn't service or care to inspect.
    I gotta see this wheel, and find out how they obtained the unobtainable.
    choigilligan and choigilligan like this.

I will do my best to remember to take a pic with my cell phone when I get home tonight...I will also try and remember to ask the dealer for the discontiued part #....I had written it down on a napkin, which probably got used by one of the kids to blow their nose.

On the face plate issue...it is a piece of cake to replace the entire plate/switches assembley..but the dealer didn't want to chase down whether the issue was in the switch or the wheel. If the switch, they would need to remove the switches from the face plate and were concerned about possibly breaking the plastic tabs to do so..if they broke one, we were both SOL.

Still waiting for a picture...

choigilligan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

I have to see this steering wheel as well, I have too, I gotta be honest seeing a new steering wheel would be like seeing moby dick or something like that.

I guess this will go down as the Ghost Wheel. I'm not buyin' it...GM says they don't exist, and all the independent parts suppliers agree...so where did this dealership get this replacement wheel?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

as I read it they put in a regular STS heated wheel for him ... no?

and I can confirm that there is no stock available (even in dealer inventory - unless it's off books)
    the supplier did go out of business and possibly due to the market uncertainty surrounding the 2008 financial meltdown
    there were many companies that just folded before seeing what was going to happen with GM and Chrysler
    they shuttered and liquidated... often selling machines that technically belonged to GM making it harder for GM to get another supplier
    (that happened to saturn once with a tail light manufacturer and it took a whole year to get a new supplier up and running since they had to build new machines/equipment)
    tooling was probably purchased for scrap metal and is gone now

by the way i just checked all four ebony (black) steering wheels for 2007 STS cars (including Vs) and there's not a single one available anywhere - anyhow
    salvage only ... just checked car-part.com and a bunch show up ... probably none are from Vs but still... there's some out there

i would think that those who really want to have a heated steering wheel could probably find someone who doesn't really care about it that much and they could work out some sort of swap
    florida and california cars don't really need heated steering wheels anyway, right?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    as I read it they put in a regular STS heated wheel for him ... no?
    There is no difference between the STS and STS-V heated wheels...the trim is different, but that's a separate part from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    by the way i just checked all four ebony (black) steering wheels for 2007 STS cars (including Vs) and there's not a single one available anywhere - anyhow
    salvage only ... just checked car-part.com and a bunch show up ... probably none are from Vs but still... there's some out there
    The salvage ones (just like the ebay ones) likely do not work.

The right solution to this whole mess would simply be for GM to swap in the 2008+ column and heated wheel. It would be cheaper than sourcing new wheels, and cheaper than settling lawsuits. Not sure why they didn't consider that plan.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

they probably did...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Many of you are right...no difference beside trim, which creates issues with part numbers. Even the stock STS wheel is discontinued.
    Anyway, i have the pics ready to go, but for some reason I get an error uploading, not sure if it the site or not...can't figure out.
    Now you guys are really going to think I am mess'n with ya.
    I will try again some other day...Do pics have to be a certain MB size before the site will upload?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.