Question regarding chassis flexing and noises 08 STS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Question regarding chassis flexing and noises 08 STS-V in Cadillac V-Series Forums; ...
    croy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

Question regarding chassis flexing and noises 08 STS-V

At first I thought the noises I was hearing were from the rear suspension (I posted this several months ago), but they're not. All the time when I'm going over dips in the road or driveways with steep entrances (where one wheel is in the driveway, the others on the road and you can get some chassis bending) I’m hearing LOUD clicking and creaking noises coming from both the rear seat and rear door areas. It is driving me crazy and only seems to be getting worse! Often when accelerating strongly from a stop I will hear slight clicking noises, but not very loud at all. Has anyone else had these issues and can they be addressed? It seems that the chassis is not all that rigid in bending/torsion and that this may be the root cause. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: Question regarding chassis flexing and noises 08 STS-V

Has the ride deteriorated?

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I have never hade any issues with the chassis bending our flexing. And I have 74,000 on it now. My car is very solid and creek free. I would check to see if the car was not hit in the back.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Could be rear shocks or even rear sway bar bushings?

Xtreme70SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX, STS-V

Inside the rear wheelwells is a plastic housing that envelopes the entire wheelwell. They are held in by small plastic clips (similar to the ones that hold the engine compartment covers on).

I would reach inside your wheelwells and see if you can move the plastic by hand - if you can move/rattle it, one or more of these clips is loose (Mine was one of the top ones, pushed it back in and it was fine). Someone may have hit it and loosened it up while doing a tire change, etc.

Simple thing to check if this is your problem.

rubber2burn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts-v

Driveshaft u-joints will have the syptoms you describe as well, after the bearings get dryed out. Going over bumps/dips will load the u-joints and the pitch of the rear end differently and they will "snap" and it gets magnified thru the driveshaft sounding like a ting. Another possibility is the IRS rear CV's.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.