Spectre Intake (retro fit/fix)- WARNING!!!!!!!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Spectre Intake (retro fit/fix)- WARNING!!!!!!!!!! in Cadillac V-Series Forums; The retro-fit tube is not safe in your vehicle, the pics are from about 5,000 miles of use....
    youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED

Spectre Intake (retro fit/fix)- WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

The retro-fit tube is not safe in your vehicle, the pics are from about 5,000 miles of use.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

spectre-guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Spectre Intake (retro fit/fix)- WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by youknooow View Post
    The retro-fit tube is not safe in your vehicle, the pics are from about 5,000 miles of use.
    The sky is not falling and you're not going to cause any damage to your engine because of the sleeve cracking. This is a sleeve we printed on the 3-D parts printer we have at the shop because we wanted everyone to have the new sleeve as soon as I figured out what size they needed to be. If you want a production calibration sleeve all you need to do is call me on Monday and I'll send you one. Just in case you forgot my name it's Guy Smith and my email address is guy@spectreperformance.com and my phone number is (909) 673-9800 ext.324. I can be contacted Monday through Thursday 6:00 am -4:30 pm Pacific Standard Time. It really is unnecessary to cause a panic for something that is so simple to handle with a phone call or an email, and you have both because you have the updated sleeve. I hope to hear from you in the next couple of days.

If anyone else would like a production sleeve just contact me before you post any silliness here or cause undue panic.

Guy

fast_lane10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS - V

it would be nice if someone can explain what damage could be done if the above happens to sleeve ?

spectre-guy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

There won't be any unless you squeeze the sleeve and break it when you take it out of the tube because the air that flows in the center of it won't break it. The sleeve is inside the tube and it doesn't move around so it can't get damaged.

Guy

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Nice Shoes.......

Seriously, if anyone is worried just take a look at your sleeve. But be careful with it, it is not glass but it also is not ABS plastic. Don't manhandle it....

These sleeves do not carry any kind of load what so ever so they can't break or come apart just sitting in the tube.

These were not a production run. They were made individually and as such not subject to manufacturing defects for a mold issues.

If you have any concerns call Guy or Myself.

Or I guess you could pile on and lets just get stupid......

rubber2burn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts-v

My neighbor kid has a pair of those as well, we call them his PeeWee Herman shoes.

spectre-guy,

Quick question, is my engine designed to intake plastic or whatever material the sleeve is made out of?

In case you haven't noticed this is a forum, not the BBB, where information and ideals are exchanged. I chose to share my experience with the retrofitted sleeve, as a result of its worn condition after 5,000 miles - it was not installed in that condition nor was it damaged when it was taken out. People should be aware that the possibility exists that the sleeve may fail while installed, which may be harmful to the engine, hence why we employ filters to keep the "bad" things out.

I would have expected a more professional response rather than: " before you post any silliness here or cause undue panic". Nothing $illy about a engine repair. Also with you being in customer service your response should have been more along the lines, "Please contact so I can send you a production calibration sleeve, also everyone else please check your sleeve if its showing any signs of wear and tear, please contact me..."

PGA2B,

"These sleeves do not carry any kind of load what so ever so they can't break or come apart just sitting in the tube." So explain what happened here?

Look, I like the product, would recommend the product, and I definitely didn't spend $450 to have something to bash, but that does not negate the issue I posted.

All these claims on what can't happen, its possible ya'll didn't fully anticipate the conditions that the sleeve would be subjected to. Sometimes you can't anticipate everything hence why the sleeves had to be sent out in the first place.

air-jordan-11-dmp-white-gold-black.jpg

I like the pee wee hermans as well

Quote Originally Posted by youknooow View Post
    PGA2B,

"These sleeves do not carry any kind of load what so ever so they can't break or come apart just sitting in the tube." So explain what happened here?
    With all due respect, you broke it when you removed it from the tube. Stuff happens. Call him Monday and he will get you a production sleeve that is molded.

As I also stated, if anyone is worried, take a look at your sleeve. Spectre has no issue at all with sending a production sleeve to anyone who contacts them.

Xtreme70SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX, STS-V

Personally, I think the answer is somewhere in the middle here. If I were to have bought the intake setup (which I probably will at some point), I would NOT want tubes made of the 3D material - it's just not that sturdy. We have one of the newer machines at work, I know what the stuff is. It is very possible they cracked on their own, I've seen stronger things that that come out far worse in similar applications. Vibrations alone can do a lot of damage to components.

So while it probably won't do any harm - at all - to the engine, that's only half the point. Production sleeves should have been sent to everyone ASAP after sending out those sleeves in the picture, as they should never have been considered a permanent fix. The people that initially received them should have been (assuming they weren't) told this up front. *In My Opinion*

On the vendors side, this post could have been a lot less dramatic, as well. First thing would have been to call the vendor and get their take on it. Then a post to alert people and tell them the service you received (which sounds good), and what the fix is, would probably have gone a lot further.

LOL, and those Pee Wee's are... um... well, you know.

goat-v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): sts-v

I don't blame you for freaking out. We are talking possible FOD in the engine. They are saying not a big deal just like our leans codes were not a big deal when "the tuner" said we shouldn't have drove with that condition. Any know problems that anyone experiences Im glad to know right away.

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

F

I don't how many times I have to say it.............

Guy has plenty of them.

Anyone who wants a replacement just call him. He will send it out. He has a list of everyone who bought one.

PGA2B,

REALLY, really that’s your response "you broke it when you removed it from the tube. Stuff happens." Grown man to grown man, don't respond to my post as if I'm a child, a liar, or more importantly as if you were there. The wear and tear took place while it was installed as it was designed PERIOD

You have solidified my post, based on your response "you broke it when you removed it from the tube", with your disbelief as to what actually happened, it's clear that it should not and was not expected to happen.

It shocks me that the vendors had/have heart burn bout my post, downplaying the possible effects of FOD. FOD as another member pointed out is no joke, FOD takes and has taken airplanes down. If I decided to remove my engine air filter and operate my vehicle, at the very least you probably think that I am a idiot.

Again my post was to bring awareness to the other members not to bash the product that I like. But no matter how much I like it, I will be responsible to my vehicle and fellow STS-V owners.

All this brings the question up, why wasn't that product labeled temporary and the permanent fix automatically released?

1. I told you how to get a replacement.

2. I am NOT going to get in a pissing contest with you. If you want to debate this give Guy a call and he will be more than happy to discuss it as I am the vendor not the manufacturer. I have repeatedly addressed this, gave my opinion, and am not going to do it any more. I still have one of the original Prototype 3-D sleeves and do not have any issues with it. I just checked it again yesterday and still, no issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.