Engine HOT - A/C off on 2006 STS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Engine HOT - A/C off on 2006 STS-V in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I have now had the car in twice to no avail to get this fixed. First time they said they ...
    10056753 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Engine HOT - A/C off on 2006 STS-V

I have now had the car in twice to no avail to get this fixed. First time they said they had to "download new s/w". Latest time they "topped off supercharger coolant". Same problem remains. Warning comes on at intermittant times and the temp gauge always goes to zero when it goes on. Can happen when I first start in the morning or when i am in the middle of a drive. Oil temp is never over 185 regardless of whether the warning is showing up or not. Then unexpectantly it goes back off and the temp gauge starts reading correctly again. I have told the dealer it seems like a temp sensor problem...but they don't seem to listen.

Any suggestions? Any tech bulletins on this one?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

joex1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Engine HOT - A/C off on 2006 STS-V

Your thermostat is bad. There is a TSB on it I believe.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Look through the threads. This has come up before. The post was something like $600 to change the thermostat.

If you are out of warranty you can change it yourself in about 30-45 minutes.

180* (Stock) replacement is a Mr. Gasket 6368
    160* (Modified) replacement is a Mr. Gasket 6367

Several of us on the forum have the 160*.

jerrylsantos is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

I had the same problem, and finally got around to replacing the thermostat with a Delco one this past weekend. As far as I can tell, i haven't gotten the Engine Hot error in similar conditions that used to trigger it.

Oil temps are a bit different for me after I swapped the part out:
    Before the change i would rarely get above 195. With the replacement, the temps rise faster, and average temp is around 195-210 (had it get up to almost 220). The weather here has been bouncing around 100 since i changed it out, so that might be a factor.

Are my numbers still within a safe range?

Xtreme70SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX, STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylsantos View Post
    I had the same problem, and finally got around to replacing the thermostat with a Delco one this past weekend. As far as I can tell, i haven't gotten the Engine Hot error in similar conditions that used to trigger it.

Oil temps are a bit different for me after I swapped the part out:
    Before the change i would rarely get above 195. With the replacement, the temps rise faster, and average temp is around 195-210 (had it get up to almost 220). The weather here has been bouncing around 100 since i changed it out, so that might be a factor.

Are my numbers still within a safe range?
    I had done separate checks on "normal" oil temps before, and found your current oil temps to be the norm. I'd be interested in if you had a 160 in there before if that's what kept the oil temp down a bit.

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V

I had this same issue. First the PCM was reflashed to the latest version. Second time thermostat replaced. The problem has not reappeared.

Bob

kbf250 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V

I had mine at the dealer four times for this problem. Finally on the last visit they replaced the thermostat.
    No problems since.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme70SS View Post
    I had done separate checks on "normal" oil temps before, and found your current oil temps to be the norm. I'd be interested in if you had a 160 in there before if that's what kept the oil temp down a bit.
    No clue what type of thermostat was in there prior to me changing it. I got the car at the beginning of the year, and there were dealership records that seemed to be current to the date i was shopping for it. Nothing indicated replacement/service of the thermostat.

It could be in my head, but the engine seems to be running more comfortably around 190-200? wishful thinking maybe.

AnthonyS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V

Mine is doing this now, it kicks the front fan on full blast and shuts the a/c off. I wish this wasent happening with 110° weather... I'm going to have to look up how to change the thermostat within the next few days because this is annoying. Your not alone on this.

Straight forward replacement job...just a tight area to work in.
    Taking out the intake would provide more clearance. I lost a little bit of fluid, so had to top it off to full when i was done.

AnthonyS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V

When the thermostat has been replaced are there any system resets that have to be done to clear any error code?

fast_lane10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS - V

Engine oil temps on my car run around the same (190-210 range) , max i have seen is 217 with 85 degree outside and it was stop and go traffic. I am also curious to know what is the limit where I should be concerned.

Xtreme70SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): SRX, STS-V

My understanding (and I just checked on Mobil's website to verify) is that 250 is a limit for conventional oil to begin breaking down. Synthetic oil limit increases to above 300° - which, I think, is where the sensor kicks in and warns you to idle the car until it cools down.

Here's one link to part of Mobil's site where they discuss high-temp operation: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ollection.aspx

Note there's a ton of info there, hard to find specifics - but there appear to be a lot of cars that see "normal" high oil temps of 230-240°. Mobil recommends 0-40 Synthetic for those applications, but they note that's also what the vehicle manufacturer states to use in those cars.

YoungBlood_STSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've beat on the car in 95* temps and had the oil at 230. You'd need to be on a racetrack to get it any higher. Consensus is 300* and its time to shut it down. But you'll feel heatsoak wayyyy before then.

Caddi STSV111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by 10056753 View Post
    I have now had the car in twice to no avail to get this fixed. First time they said they had to "download new s/w". Latest time they "topped off supercharger coolant". Same problem remains. Warning comes on at intermittant times and the temp gauge always goes to zero when it goes on. Can happen when I first start in the morning or when i am in the middle of a drive. Oil temp is never over 185 regardless of whether the warning is showing up or not. Then unexpectantly it goes back off and the temp gauge starts reading correctly again. I have told the dealer it seems like a temp sensor problem...but they don't seem to listen.

Any suggestions? Any tech bulletins on this one?

Thanks
    I also have a 2006 STS-V and had this same experience. I went through a lot of trial and error with the dealer but the tech is very meticulous and finally rooted it out. The problem to turned out to be a bad thermostat; the challenge was that I had just had a host of preventive maintenance done, belts hoses etc including the thermostat. It turns out the replacement thermostat was bad. A quick fix for this short term and it will last for a brief while is to disconnect the Red terminal on the battery for 30 seconds and reconnect. Keep the key fob handy and hit the door lock button if the alarm goes off. This was probably one of the most challenging issues I have encountered with the car. Hope this helps

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.