Best exhaust option - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Which is best exhaust option

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Immediately muffler delete

3 12.50%
  • Immediately Gibson

5 20.83%
  • Immediately Custom Magnaflow

7 29.17%
  • Wait save and get Corsa

9 37.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Best exhaust option in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Also I'm seeing two different things on the borla. Are the tailpipes 4 or 5 inch openings? The gmpp part ...
    Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Re: Best exhaust option

Also I'm seeing two different things on the borla. Are the tailpipes 4 or 5 inch openings? The gmpp part number is 19157659 and I'm seeing that the borla part number is 140178. Are these in fact the same thing? I've also read about a couple of people melting the bumper at the cutouts with these. Any idea why this might have been?

----------

Just spoke with someone that sounded pretty confident that these are the same item. Only when you get it through borla, you'll have the word borla embossed on the exhaust tips whereas of you got it from GMPP while you still could, it wouldn't say borla.

I read on an other thread some info to confirm what the last guy said. And also that the guy with the melted bumper may have installed it wrong.

ChurchSTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX, 2007 STS-V
    Well I'm between Gibson and magnaflow. I can't find any real good sound clips for Gibson on this car.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by ChurchSTSV View Post
    Well I'm between Gibson and magnaflow. I can't find any real good sound clips for Gibson on this car.
    There was one decent clip on eBay of a guy installing it and going for a drive with it installed.

ChurchSTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX, 2007 STS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post

There was one decent clip on eBay of a guy installing it and going for a drive with it installed.
    EBay? Lol. I've seen it. It's just an STS. Not a V.

Quote Originally Posted by ChurchSTSV View Post
    EBay? Lol. I've seen it. It's just an STS. Not a V.
    Lol oops. Was distracted while writing that it was supposed to be YouTube. But wow that was a bad typo...

I was looking at some old threads that mention the borla catback. I ended up contacting GM-4-LIFE who was on the sts-v side when this burning of the bumper cover came up. He mentioned that I should contact borla's R&D department and try to speak to either Alvin or Ted.

Spoke to Alvin. The GMPP and the Borla are slightly different. GMPP had 4 inch tips, Borla had 5. The internals are slightly different on Borla because of certain specifications GM requests, for example noise levels.

I asked him about the burning/melting of the bumper covers and he did a little research before getting back to me. He said that with as many as they've sold, this happening to 1 or 2 people is probably due to installation errors. He said they would not be able to sell the exhaust with 4 inch tips. 5 inch is the only option at this point. If you want to change the tips after you purchase, that's on the buyer. Either way, talking to Alvin, I felt confident that there shouldn't be any issues. When it comes to the forums you'll hear the 1-2 bad stories but you won't hear the success stories which there are more of.

I'm about ready to buy it. He also mentioned that at some point, and he has no idea when, borla will discontinue this product as well. Just throwing that out there.

raiders4u2nv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V Silver/ 2007 Escalade Silver/ 94 Corvette vert

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    I was looking at some old threads that mention the borla catback. I ended up contacting GM-4-LIFE who was on the sts-v side when this burning of the bumper cover came up. He mentioned that I should contact borla's R&D department and try to speak to either Alvin or Ted.

Spoke to Alvin. The GMPP and the Borla are slightly different. GMPP had 4 inch tips, Borla had 5. The internals are slightly different on Borla because of certain specifications GM requests, for example noise levels.

I asked him about the burning/melting of the bumper covers and he did a little research before getting back to me. He said that with as many as they've sold, this happening to 1 or 2 people is probably due to installation errors. He said they would not be able to sell the exhaust with 4 inch tips. 5 inch is the only option at this point. If you want to change the tips after you purchase, that's on the buyer. Either way, talking to Alvin, I felt confident that there shouldn't be any issues. When it comes to the forums you'll hear the 1-2 bad stori-es but you won't hear the success stories which there are more of.

I'm about ready to buy it. He also mentioned that at some point, and he has no idea when, borla will discontinue this product as well. Just throwing that out there.
    Thanks for all the info. I like the 5 inch tips. I think I may do Borla also.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

I already know two people with burned bumper covers so that guy is being less than honest. You can always have the 5 in tips replaced though.

Damn. Thanks for that man. I'll have the tips changed to 4 inch.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

Way cheaper than a bumper cover.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Hahaha good point thanks again.

----------

Any recommendations as to where to get this done? I believe in doing it right one time, not some bang up job. That being said, any muffler shop?

Do they claim any performance number change between them and GMPP Since the guts are a bit different?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Nope he didn't actually mention what the difference would be. An other guy at borla said that sound might be slightly affected. The way Alvin was describing it was that any change on the internals would be very minimal. I doubt there would be much of a difference in performance if any. The way I understand it, the exhaust alone won't add much power, if any, to the car, even with a tune.

I see. So when you going to pull the trigger? And the 4" tips... Are those something you order separately from them or are you planning for "custom" tips from another place?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.