Who wants headers?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Who wants headers? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; We had a thread about this several months ago but I figured I'd start a fresh one now. This is ...
    TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Who wants headers?

We had a thread about this several months ago but I figured I'd start a fresh one now. This is my next project. I have custom stainless flanges arriving this week and I've started planning them out.

Different options were discussed in the last thread but I've eliminated most of them to simplify both the headers themselves and the ordering process. I'm no longer going to offer cats in the headers. Cats can easily be added to the straight pipe after the headers if desired. Without cats the headers will have longer primary tubes and fewer compromises in construction.

Construction is 3/8" 304 stainless flanges and 1 3/4" 16g American 304 tubing with stainless oxygen sensor bung installed. These will be 100% TIG welded and they will look sweet. Existing gaskets can be reused. New ones are NOT needed.

I'm estimating at least 20-30rwhp gain on these without cats. Some of the gains will be from eliminating the cats and the rest from the improved flow.

Pricing will be the same as before. $990/pair.

Who's in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nsaness is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)

Re: Who wants headers?

Hi Timmy C,
    I am interested, but not "in" yet. I am new to this area, and after installing many performance headers, I have fitment concerns. Have you made these yet? Are there any photos? The price is excellent, my only concerns are fit and performance. I must retain cats. I assume these headers will flow better than stock. Do you have any performance estimates using "High flow" cats? Finally, I will need mine ceramic coated; will this be an "option"?
    Please forgive me if this is the first time you attacking this, and you are offering "prototypes". In the case of prototypes, I would expect it is too early to answer my questions.

I cannot weld, and hate smashing well formed tubes. If theses are prototypes, I would still be interested, but I would want assurances that we could work together on a good fitment. I am near new york city, so I could only hope that you are on the East coast so working together would be more feasible. Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

I started getting parts together for these this week. I've got a mockup Northstar motor on a stand that I am going to use for building these and I'll install them on my car to make sure they fit. I don't want to have my name on anything that is not a nice product. I started making fixture points tonight and I'll get into it fully when the flanges come in.

I am not planning on offering these coated. I don't see a need to coat stainless tubing. There are lots of places that do coating though, you can send them out for that when you get them if you decide to buy.

I can't say how much gain is going to be due to what. I'm going to test the first set on my car without cats and go from there. I'll post dyno graphs and info like I always do.

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

IMO, northstars without cats sound like shit. On top of that, I have emissions in Ohio. I'd be interested, but with the add-on high flow cat.

Also, where are you at with your pulley and IAT's?

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Post-Cat O2 sensor DTC’s (which will be thrown when running without cats due to a fast switching rate like pre-cat O2’s), can have their code type changed when being tuned. So it’ll still throw the code, but by changing the type, it won’t flag for emissions purposes.

The only concern I’d have with passing any emissions testing is if Ohio does visual inspections. Otherwise, a standard OBDII scan test, once tuned like mentioned above, won’t cause an issue. Many of us in the LSx community do it all the time. I do it hear in Illinois.

On the coating issue, I would prefer coated simply because this being a DD, it will be subjected to the crap weather we have 99% of the time. Also, I’m not a fan of “blued” tubing from heat. So my suggestion, even though anyone purchasing can do it themselves with a local coater, is at least to give the option.

Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57 View Post
    Post-Cat O2 sensor DTCs (which will be thrown when running without cats due to a fast switching rate like pre-cat O2s), can have their code type changed when being tuned. So itll still throw the code, but by changing the type, it wont flag for emissions purposes.

The only concern Id have with passing any emissions testing is if Ohio does visual inspections. Otherwise, a standard OBDII scan test, once tuned like mentioned above, wont cause an issue. Many of us in the LSx community do it all the time. I do it hear in Illinois.

On the coating issue, I would prefer coated simply because this being a DD, it will be subjected to the crap weather we have 99% of the time. Also, Im not a fan of blued tubing from heat. So my suggestion, even though anyone purchasing can do it themselves with a local coater, is at least to give the option.
    Tuning out the post cat 02s is easy. Any tuner can do that. There may be a non-tuning way to avoid that code too. I'll check into that when mine are done. Don't worry about cat codes.

A car with headers and high flow cats installed in the exhaust just aft will be just as likely/unlikely to pass a visual as a header with the cats welded to it. The cats have CARB numbers on them to certify them as legal.

I think blued stainless is cool but I'll look into coating if that's what everyone wants. I like uncoated because the pretty welds show. There is nothing cooler than gold, red, and blue welds.

Quote Originally Posted by 550HP STSV View Post
    IMO, northstars without cats sound like shit. On top of that, I have emissions in Ohio. I'd be interested, but with the add-on high flow cat.

Also, where are you at with your pulley and IAT's?
    Northstar motors aren't any different than any other motors as far as sound goes. They will be a bit louder without cats but no different than anything else.

My IATs are what they are. The laminova cores in the blower can only do so much. Headers may help a bit with that; we will see. An upgraded intercooler pump is said to help, but no one has posted any numbers as far as IAT reductions. $300 for a pump is more than I'm going to spend for a few degrees. Hopefully Ryan will share some numbers when he gets his pump installed.

coach123 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V

How are the headers coming along? I want to see the gains after you install them. You are correct the two areas of limitations seem to be getting the air cooled efficiently and through the laminova intercooler as well as getting the combustion air out of the engine as quickly as possible. Keep up the good work.

Oh bty...I am getting my tranny upgraded soon.

Bad news on the headers. I was going to build them and test, then use them in a turbo build. Since there doesn't seem to be that much interest in the headers and I don't need them to run a turbo anyway, I'm not doing it. The flange guy was dragging his feet too, that was really the last straw.

I ordered a billet 67mm turbo from Precision. 600rwhp is the goal. I assume the rear end will blow up if raced, but I'm hoping it lasts until I'm done tuning on the dyno.

Sorry to anyone who wanted them but it is not worth the effort.

nsaness is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)

Thanks anyway

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.